Question about shotgun chokes?

Question about shotgun chokes?

This is a discussion on Question about shotgun chokes? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought a Benelli Nova Pump with a 28" barrel for hunting and shooting clays at the range. It came with a Full, Improved ...

Thread: Question about shotgun chokes?

Question Question about shotgun chokes?

I just bought a Benelli Nova Pump with a 28" barrel for hunting and shooting clays at the range. It came with a Full, Improved Cylinder, and Modified chokes. Could someone please explain the different uses for the respective chokes. ie. which one do I use for dove hunting, clay shooting turkey huntin etc. I have never even been hunting before so this is all very new to me.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Full choke good for ducks / turkey..

Modified would probley what i would use for doves if there like woodcock hunting if its long shots the full then .. never hunted doves so im guessing..

Also Clay shooting is what i use a modified for to but you could also use full choke

The improved cylinder is one step up from having no choke at all so for close range only basically the patter will spread very very fast

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Well I think Bud was being a little simplistic, choke selection depends on #1= Range, #2= load and #3= target. Not to mention personal preference. For close, fast shots (under 25-30yds) I would choose a skeet choke, though I would probably upgrade to a modified for waterfowl. As for Turkey, your pattern will tell you what choke to use, Set up a scatterboard and shoot it with your chosen turkey load, which ever one patterns best is your turkey choke. I've seen a improved cylinder pattern better than specialty turkey choke with some loads. As for Clay games skeet for skeet (imagine that) though you may move up to improved or modified on a windy day. modified or full for trap. Sporting clays is a bit trickier and you may wanna bring all your chokes and switch em' out as necessary but this depends on how difficult the course is, If I were gonna only shoot one choke it would probably be modified for sporting clays. Hope this helps

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    both above answers are pretty much point on. You may want to look at this chart on the mossberg page to get an idea of what choke to choose and etc.

http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?...section=safety

It is basically a choice that is determined by speciifc factors such as range, shot size, game, speed, and conditions.
    Fear No Evil.

Sponsored Links