Weekend at the ranch

This is a discussion on Weekend at the ranch within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went out this weekend to a friend's ranch which is 2,200 acres. Got a couple rabbits. John (Iraq Ninja) got a jackrabbit with a 300 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weekend at the ranch

Weekend at the ranch

Went out this weekend to a friend's ranch which is 2,200 acres. Got a couple rabbits. John (Iraq Ninja) got a jackrabbit with a 300 win mag. Stalked some huge hogs that we first thought was a horse! Took a few shots at a coyote that I SWEAR I hit...... He brought two PVS 14's and a PVS 7 (goggles) with a PEQ 15 and 2a so we did some crazy night hunting until about 2:30am all with night vision, it was an awesome time.

From left to right - Iraq Ninja's ("industry professional" from m4carbine) BCM middy, Iraq Ninja Jr's Tactical Solutions (barreled) .22 10/22, my SR15 w/ IN's Halo (I was running it on a Noveske lower instead of the KAC lower) and my SCAR H.

My Noveske/LMT mk18 --- which is softer shooting with the Vltor A5 than my SR15.

My SR15

Here's the album which I'll be adding more to today. There's a few graphic pics of a jackrabbit after a 150 grain 300 win mag. The sad part is it was pregnant and we didn't know. We found a couple of the babies about 20 feet away. Sorry about that - I posted one pic of the baby which I really didn't like.

Ranch pictures by jonconsiglio - Photobucket
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

SCAR H

Iraq Ninja Jr's precision rig w/ Nightforce 2.5-10 and my SR15 with my T1 and ACOG 4x32

Iraq Ninja's BCM Middy

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

If I had a dollar for every yote I swore I hit I would be rich.

Looks like a good time was had.

Sounds like a great place to 'plunk'...
    No rattlesnakes?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

'yotes and ARs... a match made in heaven

Nice pics jon I'm diggin' that BCM

At second glance, it looks like a Magpul flip rear sight, on the BCM. What's your opinion on that?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I don't trust them enough but in his case I guess it makes sense since his gun always has a 3x magnifier with a flip-to-side mount or a PVS 14 (night vision) in a LaRue twist mount so it's quite unlikely anything will ever hit into it and also unlikely that he'll use it.

For about the same price, or close, I've been using a MaTech rear on my mk18 which seems more solid when folded down and has a stronger piece for the mount available for not much money.

From now on I'll be sticking with KAC and possibly Troy which I've used for quite some time.

.... And no rattlesnakes though there were scorpions everywhere in the house and one crawled on my hand. There are a lot or snakes there, I just didn't see any.

The place is great. We can shoot 180 meters from the front porch or walk to the middle of that field (90 meters) and shoot about 400 meters to the left or right or 800 obviously from one end. It takes a couple hours to drive all the trails and check all the feeders or stop at the blinds or ponds, then there's walking all the thick wooded areas too which takes a while. The place has everything.

A few hours ago I posted some pics of the land to the Photobucket link in my first post. I hadn't been there in about 5 months, but we're going to make it a more regular thing.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I want to see pics of the big hogs!!!

Color me green!! Where's the DC.com invite? LOL!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post

SCAR H

Iraq Ninja Jr's precision rig w/ Nightforce 2.5-10 and my SR15 with my T1 and ACOG 4x32

Iraq Ninja's BCM Middy

Jon,

you kinda look like that dude who recently won that new tv show one man army! LOL......

Out Magazine | FEATURE STORIES | Need to Know: One Man Army's Jeff Bloovman
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

You better not be saying what I think you're saying!!

EDIT - I didn't even have to read past the title of that link!!

EDIT AGAIN - OUT Magazine!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    You better not be saying what I think you're saying!!

EDIT - I didn't even have to read past the title of that link!!
    LOL!!!!!! You know I love yah! Im just kidding bro! By the way, I love the setup man! That sure looks like a lot of fun!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Love getting out like this. Y'all had a good time despite the heat. In what region in our fair state did this epic adventure occur?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    LOL!!!!!! You know I love yah! Im just kidding bro! By the way, I love the setup man! That sure looks like a lot of fun!
    I know! That was pretty funny!!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Love getting out like this. Y'all had a good time despite the heat. In what region in our fair state did this epic adventure occur?
    Right outside of Alice, the property splits the Jim Wells/Duvall county line. It's about an hour out of Corpus Christi. We spent three days there and we're already planning the next.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    John (Iraq Ninja) got a jackrabbit with a 300 win mag.

sounds like fun was had though John was a bit on the risky side perhaps?
    i seldom use the 700 win mag for anything bigger than monks....the chip size
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links