Newbie needs HD Shotgun help.

This is a discussion on Newbie needs HD Shotgun help. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Alright, I just finished reading through all applicable threads in the 14 pages that comprise this forum. I just recently got into CCW and home ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs HD Shotgun help.

Alright, I just finished reading through all applicable threads in the 14 pages that comprise this forum. I just recently got into CCW and home defense. I have a Glock G19 for CCW and home protection and now I want a shotgun to go along with it.

I know very little about shotguns. From what I have gleaned reading these posts and articles is that I want a 12ga, pump action, short barrel 18"- 20", pistol grip/shoulder stock combo, my preference is all black and I think I have narrowed it down to the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870 and that's about where my knowledge ends.

I have checked out my local gun shop's website, along with Wal-Mart, just to get a feel for what's out there and am lost in the different models that are offered. I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want a cheap thing either. Maybe around $250-$300.

I would also like to check out pawn shops/gun shops for used shotguns, but w/o knowing what model I want, it is pointless.

Can you all enlighten me as to what models I should be looking at, ie Turkey, Deer, Marine, Tactical, Express?

Also, how do I know what model I am looking at when at pawn shops? Will it be stamped in, or just say 870?

I seem to be leaning towards an 870.

Any info/advice/experience you all can impart to me would be greatly appreciated.

Please excuse my ignorance, but we all have to start somewhere.

Thanks.

it will say 870 on it and what ever model mine says its a 870 wingmaster as for Hd which ever you like the best the marine would be my choice

Though the mossie 500 is a good choice also in the marine version also

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Go to your local Police supply store and see what they have in the way of police department turn-ins. Sometimes you can get some great deals.

Several months ago I picked up several police trade in 870s for around $175 each at my local police supply store. They were all marked "Remington 870 Police Magnum" and had 18 inch barrels and wood stocks. The stocks were beat up, but the shotguns functioned flawlessly. I spent about $150 each putting synthetic stocks and forends, side saddles, and tube extensions on them then GunKoted them all olive drab. I then sold them all for $400 each at a local gunshow.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Exclamation

I think you should get a shotgun with a drum. (long as you dont plan on hunting with it!) Im sure you can get these models without the drum as well.. I just like it. (Check your local laws!) In FL you can have these.

On model-home defense would be tactical, or Marine.

Like this Mossberg Mariner 12ga below

and these Mossberg Mavericks - Model 88(2)

and here's a remington 870 mariner. No drum, but it does have a 2 round magazine extension.. its below the barrel.

N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Actually the bottom Remmington is a Marine Magnum! Also the drum mag has it's draw backs like weight, girth! they look cool but I am not sure I'd want to lug that sucker around when in panic mode.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    Another 870 variant - probably sold primarily for Turkey use but - suits me fine as an HD. Has mag extension.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks guys. Yea, I am very impressed with the Marine Magnum. very nice looking.

Now I have a decent understanding of what I want and can now start checking out pawn shops and local gun shops for some used 870's.

Also, P8triot, how do I find out who my police supply store is?

Thanks again all.

OD*
    Also, P8triot, how do I find out who my police supply store is?
    They should be listed in the yellow pages of your local phone book.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Lead Moderator
    any 870 will do. The barrels are easily changed in a few seconds. Rifle sights might make for better accuracy(it does matter). extended mag tubes can be added easily.
    I would avoid the drum mags as they are bulky, expensive and not really necessary. There are 2 basic ways you can set up the shotgun.
    1. buy a standard or turkey gun and accessories as you feel is needed
    2. buy a tactical , set up for HD/LE type work
    Honestly , other than a shoulder stock, any shotgun should work just fine. The shorter barrels are easier to maneuver inside, but you probably shouldn't be clearing rooms anyway.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OD*
    That's a nice set-up Chris.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    The shorter barrels are easier to maneuver inside, but you probably shouldn't be clearing rooms anyway.
    True, but the shorter barrel also leaves less sticking out front for someone to grab or knock out of line.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    True, but the shorter barrel also leaves less sticking out front for someone to grab or knock out of line.
    True, also forgot to mention, check out some of the low recoil defensive ammo (I think federal makes it) Once you get a gun try out some diffrent loads and get familiar with loading, ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Alright, well I am alittle perturbed. I just got done calling all my local gun shops and pawn shops and no one has either: 1. Any used 870's or 2. If they do have some, they are close to what I can buy it new.

I called a local Police supplier and they don't sell shotguns to the public.

So, I am left with little options now.

Sidenote, how much is an average charge to cut down a barrel and reinstall a bead sight?

Just wondering if I find a good deal somewhere on a long barrel, how much I have to factor in for gunsmithing to validate my good deal.

I checked out replacement barrells and they were in the $100-$200 range, so unless I get a shotgun for like $50-$100, it isn't worth it from buying new.

Anyone have any other places I can try to score a used 870 from for a decent price?

Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveri9720
    Anyone have any other places I can try to score a used 870 from for a decent price?

Thanks.
    According to THIS there is a gunshow in Macon this weekend. Might be worth the drive.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Thanks. If I can wait, there is a show the 26th and 27th of August about 30 minutes away, as opposed to about 2 1/2 hrs to Macon.

That's a big IF though.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links