I need some AR15 advice! PLEASE HELP!

This is a discussion on I need some AR15 advice! PLEASE HELP! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm new to the AR world. I just shot my buddies a few days ago and decided I need to get one. To tell you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I need some AR15 advice! PLEASE HELP!

I need some AR15 advice! PLEASE HELP!

I'm new to the AR world. I just shot my buddies a few days ago and decided I need to get one. To tell you the truth I'm not even sure what kind he had. I just know I liked it, but want something a little different. His was a little longer and had a solid stock. He had a bunch of attachments on his that I don't really think I need at the time. I would also rather have a six position collapsible stock...I think?

I've read some threads about building your own and how that is the way to do it, but as of right now I would just like to buy a full rifle. Maybe in the future build my own, but for now I just want to start shooting.

I've been surfing the forums and figured I'd check Rock River, Stag, something that starts with a N, and a few others. I checked my local Gander Mt and they have a Smith & Wesson for 700 and I like the Stag for 950.

My price range is up to $1200-1300.

Stag
    Stag Arms

I like this one too.
    http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...ts_id=207]Stag Arms

S&W
    Gander Mountain® > Smith Wesson MP15 Sport Rifle 5.56mm NY/MD Compliant - Firearms > Centerfire Rifles > Semi-Auto Action :

Whats the difference? Which one would you go with? Why? Should I go with something completely different?

I'm leaning towards the second Stag. By the looks of it I can add things to it if I want to at a later date. I would like to also add a good optic at a later date down the road.

Please help! Also great forums here. Looking forward to surfing and learning.

Thanks,
    Captain

2. Remove Ads

Don't go overboard when accessorizing is bound to be sound advice.

I can't be of much real help on the multiplicity of AR 15 manufacturers marketing rifles these days but some will be along shortly to offer advice.

I obtained a used older Colt AR 15 in the late 1980s and have enjoyed using it. It's quite accurate and reasonably reliable with proper lubrication. It doesn't like really extended shooting sessions involving the consumption of hundreds of rounds at a time. I don't frequently treat it that way so it isn't an issue with me.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

First, welcome to the forurm!

Second, there have been numerous threads addressing your exact questions within the past 3-6 months and beyond. The search function is your friend. You could also search on recent posts by member jonconsiglio who has an advanced level of experience with ARs, and you would do well to heed his advice.

Shorter answer to your question, skip the Stag and go for the S&W if you are only choosing between the two.

Longer answer: among ARs, there are "hobby guns" (e.g., DPMS, Olympic, Stag, Spike's, Bushamster) and professional-grade guns that set the high bar for reliability under hard use (e.g., Bravo Company, Noveske, Lewis Machine & Tool, Colt, Daniel Defense, more). There are a few which occupy the middle ground if you order the right options. When you strip down the options to what you really need in a 'serious' gun, you'll pay perhaps 15-20% more for the high-end gun, but you'll have one that will survive hard use, such as in a training course where you blow through 500+ rounds a day.

So, do your research, and remember - buy cheap, buy twice.
    Last edited by gasmitty; July 24th, 2011 at 04:42 PM.
    OD* and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

There is just too much to look at. haha. I'm not sure where to look first, whats good or what just looks good? Once I find one I like the looks of, I find 2 or 3 more that look exactly the same that I like. I read a FAQ sheet somewhere on the web where it explained different parts and what to look for in a gun (upper & lower reciever, bolt carrier, barrel, hand gaurd, ????, etc.) but to tell you the truth it left me more confused.

The S&W doesn't have a dust cover, or a ?charge handle? I believe. Don't most of the other models have these? Makes me think I'd like them too?. How important are they? I won't be rolling around in a desert with it, but I will be wandering the woods and swamps with it. Are they worth it?

I'm going to keep doing my research, I'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction. Right now I have everyone of the websites you mentioned open and scanning through them. I probably won't be doing any kind of training or any real serious shooting. Just plinking and I would like to do some coyote and other random hunting with it. So I don't think I need the super high end rifle.

One other question, overall are they pretty easy to break down and keep clean?

"...are they pretty easy to break down and keep clean?"

Most folks seem to think so but honestly, it is one of my least favorite rifles to clean. It is simple to break down though.

I deliberately keep my rifle super simple. No scopes or rails for mounting anything else on the rifle. I like the factory original sights and a M1907 sling and that's it.

I don't want it to to be able to "set for stun," make the morning coffee, or tell me the top 10 tunes on the radio. It only has to shoot straight and reliably.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

So after scanning those manufacturers sites I found a few that I liked. Problem is they look the same and are pretty close to the same price. Whats the difference between them all? Or are ARs just like cars...everyone has their own preference and they are all pretty much the same overall? Heres the ones that seem to be within my price range and kind of the style I'm looking at.

Which ones do you folks suggest?

Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

The A2 model with tactical stock
    Rock River Arms: Mid-Length A2 / A4

Stag Arms

A little out of my price range I think with taxes and what not.
    Defender Standard Patrol Model 16

COLT SP6920 SPORTER 16.1 HB 20 223 20 $1,045.00 SHIPS FREE

I guess I'm also assuming that all these would allow me to put a red dot scope on in the future as well?

But again, they look damn near identical to me and all are close to the same price.

Help point me to the right gun for a starter that just want to have fun in the woods, but wants a good reliable firearm. If what I'm looking at in these links is not going to work for what I'm looking to do with it, could you guys point me in the right direction?

Thanks again, and sorry for all the links and questions.

PM sent
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

You can easily find several of the professional grade guns that gasmitty listed within your price range. If your really not going to use it hard most any would do. HOWEVER, I don't see the point of spending 800-900 on a entry level AR when a professional grade can be had for the same money. If you're not going to run it hard and can pick it up for 500-600 I could maybe see a point. By the way, Welcome to the forum!

Glad you had fun with your buddy's rifle.
    It looks like the S&W you linked to really doens't have a dust cover... which I find very odd, but it does look to have a charging handle. When you first mentioned it I was wondering if it was a piston driven AR as I've seen a few out there that have a charging handle that reminds me more of a G3 than anything else I can think of right now.
    If you really want to open up your options in a new rifle lok at pistons vs DI ARs; plenty more rifles and an abundance of opinions. FWIW I like that a piston runs cleaner, but I've also been cleaning my issued M-4s and M-16s to the anal retentive cleanliness standards of a military arms room armorer, and ****** somedays you are too tired to clean every nook and crany to better than new specs.

When I was shopping AR's I had my more knowledgeable and experienced friend steer me towards spending a few more bucks and focusing on Colts, Smiths, Rock River, etc. I ended up buying a used Colt Sporter that is basically a 70's lower, an 80's upper, and a new barrel in 5.56, FrankenColt style. When I asked, the dealer let me take it in the range and squeeze off a few to check it out. I was sold at $850. It's eaten everything I've ever fed it, and my skills have improved to where I'm regularly hitting the 4 inch targets at 150 yards now, which is about the longest range I have within 50 miles of me.

Check the YouTube for AR breakdown and cleaning videos. There's dozens if not hundreds.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Do yourself a favor and buy a Colt.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Go with a Colt, you won't be dissappointed. However my LGS has a Rock River with A1 stock and forend for 650. Shop around, you'd be surprised what you can find
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

For what you;re looking at spending--Colt LE6920.

Collapsible stock, bare-bones KISS rifle. And a solid rifle, to boot.

(I'd really say to order a complete Palmetto State lower, and then an upper from them or Bravo Company...as assembly would be all of pushing in two pins--which you'll be doing anyway to clean it--and save 3-400 bucks...)
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Colts tend to hold resale value a little better than others,the LE 6920 is a good gun,if you decide you want a railed forearm later on to mount a vertical grip or a light etc they can be bought and mounted fairly easy,also the removable carry handle with A2 sight allows you to take it off to mount a red dot sight if you choose.Once you have a basic gun you can pimp it out the way you like it later,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Colts tend to hold resale value a little better than others,the LE 6920 is a good gun,if you decide you want a railed forearm later on to mount a vertical grip or a light etc they can be bought and mounted fairly easy,also the removable carry handle with A2 sight allows you to take it off to mount a red dot sight if you choose.Once you have a basic gun you can pimp it out the way you like it later,
    heh, heh, heh.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links