Road Trip Rifle

Road Trip Rifle

This is a discussion on Road Trip Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm going on an long road trip (4 days, 2400 miles) and I plan on taking along a rifle, just in case. (Or maybe "you ...

View Poll Results: Which to take?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • SKS

6 10.91%
  • M1 Garand

0 0%
  • M1 Carbine

5 9.09%
  • AR-15 Carbine

44 80.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Road Trip Rifle

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar

Road Trip Rifle

I'm going on an long road trip (4 days, 2400 miles) and I plan on taking along a rifle, just in case. (Or maybe "you never know". Whatever.) So my choices are:

1) SKS - cheap with a lousy trigger.

2) M1 Garand - great gun, a little big, and I'd hate to lose it (for whatever reason).

3) M1 Carbine - good gun, not as much range as my other options, but easy to pack (and I'd not like to lose this one either).

4) AR-15 Carbine - good gun, good range, 2nd easiest to pack, not as emotionally attached.

So any opinions?

Administrator
    I think you answered your own question... 4 it is.
    oneshot likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    How about getting an AK and call it a day? Either that or take the sks. By the way, where you heading? Detroit?
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think you answered your own question... 4 it is.
    I have to agree, you can pack more ammo for it verses the Garand and being classics I personally would leave the Garand and the Carbine home.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

AR. Least volume to the ammo, magazine fed, easiest to train other users, substantial downrange effectiveness, no finicky gas system that demands white-glove cleanliness to function, flat trajectory, low recoil, widely available ammo. Did I leave anything out?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Depends on what you've done to your guns. My SKS has a folding stock and 4x scope on it, making it pretty versatile. Slap a 30 rounder in there and I don't think you can beat it. That particular SKS hasn't been cleaned since it was purchased and it still runs great after several thousand rounds and about 15 years. If it's just a plain jane wood stock SKS, take the AR.

I kept my answer simple according to what was available.

Personally, I'd consider a handgun if the option is available. Much easier to use in the confined space of a car or motel room, easier to conceal and the ammo would be lighter and much less expensive. If the handgun is not an option, I'd go with #4.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Voted.... #4
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I would say that for any possible encounter you may face while out on the road, the AR would likely be the best gun to have for a variety of reasons. Especially if it has the least sentimental value.

It's really a no brainer. And as SIXTO mentioned, you basically already answered the question yourself.
    oneshot likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I love the M1 Carbine for the purpose. We're on the road quite often and that's what is taken. Of the offerings in the poll, it's the most maneuverable choice in a vehicle passenger compartment and easiest to conceal in a vehicle or when transporting to and from the vehicle. Much is made about it's range limitations but it actually is quite easy to register hits at 300 yards with a Carbine. It is hard to imagine that attackers would want to close the distance from even as far out as 300 yards if facing a resolute defender with an M1 Carbine and a solid handful of loaded 15-round magazines.

I have all the others on the poll too but they stay home in favor of the M1 Carbine.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

4 and a pistol.

My only experience with the M1 Carbine is that early in my career I ran a call on a burglar who broke into a laundry mat in the inner city one night. The owner lived in an apartment directly upstairs. When he heard the intruder, he confronted and shot him six times with his M1 Carbine.

All I will say is that for having six holes in him, he was doing pretty well. I won't say he got up and walked to the ambulance, but I was shocked at how well he was doing. At that point I had probably already run about 18 or 20 shooting calls up to that date and was comparing this incident to the others.

Now, the business owner was using ball surplus ammo and I have heard there are much better defensive loadings these days for the M1 Carbine, but that one incident still sticks out in my mind to this day.

Yeah, they are handy and easy to wield little guns, and with the proper ammo, I might be more inclined to say it would be a good travel gun. I didn't vote for it because the OP stated it would be a gun he would hate to lose while out on the road.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

i would probably take the sks mine shoots great and would trust it in a shtf situation and also it is going to be the cheapest to replace if you were to get in a car accident and it gets crushed or something crazy like that

I guess it depends on where you are going and the reason for the rifle. I keep a SKS in my Jeep and spare ammo. I like the .30 cal and the SKS just runs, plus it is about 1/4 the price of my AR. I keep a rifle for more animal (4 legged type) control than anything else.

Have a safe trip
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links