Shotgun for HD - Recommendations Needed!

This is a discussion on Shotgun for HD - Recommendations Needed! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok guys, the wife, 2 kiddos, another on the way, and I just got into our new house... and I find myself without a proper ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Shotgun for HD - Recommendations Needed!

Ok guys, the wife, 2 kiddos, another on the way, and I just got into our new house... and I find myself without a proper shotgun for the primary purposes of home defense. So I am in need of your expert opinions/recommendations. I was originally looking at the Remmy 870 tactical, but truth be told, there is no particular reason other than its reputation. I'm sure there are other shotties that are just as good or better. Factors: I've never actually fired a shotgun before (lots of ARs, sniper rifles, SAWs, handguns, in the military and for personal use - but never a shotgun!), so I don't know a whole lot about them - feel free to educate me if you wish. Budget is around $500. Thanks in advance!

J

I just realized there is a Defensive Rifles & Shotgun discussion forum which would be far more appropriate for this question. Mods - could you please move this to the correct forum? My apologies.

The two basic choices are the Mossberg 500/590, or Remington 870. For casual HD use, either the 500, or 870 Express HD should be adequate. But for more serious use the 590, or higher end 870's (try to find a used 870 Police Magnum in your area), will probably be more durable. Keep the barrel under 20", and a normal buttstock on it. A side-saddle, light, and quality training would all be good investments.

Really the differences for a "normal" user between them come down to personal preference of things like safety location. So try to find a place where you can handle both, and see what feels better in your hand.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Remington 870 with the shortest barrel you can legally own. Stick a light on it and your good. Side saddle and sling wouldn't hurt but aren't requirements.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    I would go with the 870 also; due to the great quantities Remington has produced over the years you can pick up one for a reasonable price on the used market and still have money left over to customize it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    First rule of defending your home with a shotgun: figure out if you'd actually best be served with the shotgun.

Why do I mention this? Because of one of the Golden Rules of Firearms Safety: "Know your target and what's beyond."

The penetration available by the shotgun is staggering. If you are planning to defend your home with the shotgun, be sure you've considered penetration issues - not just of your home's interior walls, but also the neighbors', if you live in a more densely populated area.

Also, consider whether or not you can successfully maneuver your chosen shotgun (or another long-gun) in relation to the confines of your home. Additionally, consider whether you'll be able to truly "run" your chosen shotgun (with a baby on the way, what happens if you need to dedicate one arm to carrying the infant? - would this rule-out a pump-action shotgun altogether?).

I have a shotgun, but my plan to use it is a very, very specific context.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would go for the Remington 870 Express Tactical which has an 18.5" barrel and a 7 shot capacity. This is a great weapon to use in tight spaces around the house. Once you have the shotgun, just install a very good light on it and you are good to go.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I would go for the Remington 870 Express Tactical which has an 18.5" barrel and a 7 shot capacity. This is a great weapon to use in tight spaces around the house. Once you have the shotgun, just install a very good light on it and you are good to go.
    Seconded, this is what I have.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

cmb
    A shotgun is definitely a "context" tool and I agree with TSiWrx, I have kids to and my go to has to be one hand friendly. And yes buck shot is devasting to sheet rock... may want to consider bird shot... but the key is to know what is around what you are shooting at...

I love the mosberg 500 and the rem 870 and there are a lot of accesories for those! Be sure to pick up your handgun when you grab your shottie just in case!
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

As others have said, it is hard to go wrong with the Remington 870. I put a shell holder on the stock of my 18" unit and a light. You may want to check out youtube and Clint Smith's short vids on Defensive shotguns and the 870 in particular. It is hard to argue with his no nonsense approach and common sense.

@TSiWRX: You have some very good points, many of which I have already considered. I live in a typical neighborhood, with the closest neighbor's house walls approx. 40ft away. All the houses are brick exterior and sheetrock interior. So I shouldnt have to worry too much about over-penetration with a typical HD load (from what I understand so far). Right now, my HD weapon choices are AR15 (.223), my EDC primary - S&W M&P9c, and my BUG - Ruger LCP .380. So I think a shotgun would be a nice compliment to my humble arsenal.

As far as the kiddos go - anyone with a toddler knows that in under 5 seconds they can completely disappear from sight, so that plan will adjust accordingly if/when a given scenario arises. Right now, my son will be 4 in Sep, my daughter is just under 6 months old, and my wife is 3 months pregnant with our 3rd. So for the foreseeable future, there will be munchkins in my house and I will need to constantly be adjusting my defense plans (as well as many, many other things).

Here is a floorplan of the house. A few notes as far as defense goes:
    - The master bedroom is a great location to create a choke point, or to begin clearing the house
    - The small hallway outside of the master bedroom does have a door to the laundry room, creating a loop through the house (which my son "flies" daily now!)
    - The "dining room" is only open to the main hallway - not the entrance as shown in this plan
    - From my favorite chair (which sits in the back-right corner of the family room) I can see the left half of the front door
    - The distance from the chair to the front door is approx. 40-45ft, which isn't out of handgun range (since that is whats on my person the most
    - Safe room is the master bed
    - Lock-down room is the master closet

FloorPlan.JPG

So, thoughts? I figured a visual would help for figuring out my HD plan and choice of weapons. Thanks,

J

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    This is exactly what I have. It is perfect for HD use. If you just wanna be different get a Mossberg 590. But the above Remington can be had for under 300. and leaves you a lot of $$$ for accessories and ammo.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    You might want to consider #4 Buck rather than 00. Less penetration and more pattern. It's what I have in my defense shotgun. No need for 3in mag either, 2-3/4 does fine. IMO
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The great thing about a shotgun is it is an offensive AND defensive weapon.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I agree with the other posts about shotgun choices. Mossbergs are more utilitarian and usually lower priced. I own both, but with a mind on money, and munchkins, I'd probably lean towards Mossberg. You could easily get a shotgun, accessories and plenty of ammo for your $500 budget and be well armed.

My recommendation on ammo would be #4 buck. It was my department's recommended load. It gives excellent results on BG's while reducing chances of over penetration. Stay away from bird shot, at all costs. It's great if "The Birds" are attacking, but poor on BG's.

On your house, the only problem seems to be the hallway from the kids bedrooms leading out to the entrance. You might consider putting a door in closing off access to the kids hallway, from the entrance.
    Stubborn likes this.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links