Hog Shooting/Shotgun Effectiveness

This is a discussion on Hog Shooting/Shotgun Effectiveness within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Airborne hog shooting. ‪Pig Shooting from Chopper.mpg‬‏ - YouTube I'm surprised that buckshot would accomplish such stops at the distances involved and it was obviously ...

Thread: Hog Shooting/Shotgun Effectiveness

Airborne hog shooting.

‪Pig Shooting from Chopper.mpg‬‏ - YouTube

I'm surprised that buckshot would accomplish such stops at the distances involved and it was obviously buckshot. Observation of several of the hits could discern stray buckshot strikes on the ground. The hogs looked too far out but perhaps perspectives are distorted by the camera lens. Some of those hogs were very large too but, in most instances, down they went, obviously hammered hard.

One supposes that a .308 semi-automatic of some sort with a 20-round magazine isn't used for the safety aspects, avoiding possible ricochets. Too, this is Australia and they don't have access to such rifles.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Pretty good shooting, too... in the last 10-15 seconds the shooter went 5-for-5 on moving targets from a moving platform.

Have to wonder, though, how many of those pigs were stone dead or just knocked over by the buckshot... and if there are foxes and other critters nearby to dine on the harvest. A few dozen dead large animals, even over a few hundred acres, would put quite an aroma in the air.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    That guy needs a Saiga so he does not have to reload so slow. Shottys are pretty tough to beat and are straight up deadly.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Ive seen a many of hags roll and get up & keep on going with buckshot, That was some good shots
    no dought ; ) PS I myself use a 06 & that from a stationary platform.
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I can attest to the foul odor. A local rancher that I know was having a battle royal with hogs a couple of years back and was waylaying them right and left. Got 54 that year. His place always smelled. He invited me to ride along with him on a few patrols and I thumped a couple.

He was so adverse to hogs and the damage they were doing to his fields, pastures, and fencing that he'd flat run 'em down in his pickup... whether it was the big 3/4 ton Dodge 4wd or the little Chevy S10 2wd he just used to fetch things on the ranch. He gave his wife quite a fright once chasing hogs around a 120 acre flat wheat field in the S10. He just laughed about it.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Airborne hog shooting.

‪Pig Shooting from Chopper.mpg‬‏ - YouTube

I'm surprised that buckshot would accomplish such stops at the distances involved and it was obviously buckshot. Observation of several of the hits could discern stray buckshot strikes on the ground. The hogs looked too far out but perhaps perspectives are distorted by the camera lens. Some of those hogs were very large too but, in most instances, down they went, obviously hammered hard.
    I think it is the camera; the only perspective on range is when we can see the shadow of the helicopter, based on the size of the shadow I think they are very low.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Reminds me of that scene in Black Hawk Down. Nice shooting Tex.

Did anyone else notice the flinch each time he ran dry? His hit ratio is even more impressive that he can hit them dipping the muzzle like that.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

sign me up.
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

Sponsored Links