Couldn't resist, Rossi 92 44 mag.

This is a discussion on Couldn't resist, Rossi 92 44 mag. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; l was at my prefered gun shop the other day looking for options for a rifle/shotgun to raffle off this fall for a fraternal non ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By farronwolf

Thread: Couldn't resist, Rossi 92 44 mag.

Couldn't resist, Rossi 92 44 mag.

l was at my prefered gun shop the other day looking for options for a rifle/shotgun to raffle off this fall for a fraternal non profit I am involved in. We were discussing the options that were available for a cost to the group of less than 500 bucks, so we can actually raise some funds. (BTW, the group chose a circuit judge, I only got one vote.)

Anyway, up on one wall was a bunch of lever guns in various configurations that he had come in a couple of weeks earlier. Anything from brass receiver octagon barrel to stainless, to simple blued ones. They were considered for the raffle, and of course got the itch going in the back pocket. We talked about using the 44-40 for cowboy shooting ect, and possibly for a woods/deer/hog or even defensive gun. I ran out of time that day so I headed back home.

That night I got to looking at ballistic tables ect and comparing the 44-40 vs 44 mag. It didn't take long for me realize that 44 mag was the way to go since I usually carry a Redhawk in 44 mag when in the woods anyway. If I do decide to shoot cowboy action, I can still use a 44 mag in the rifle and my 44-40's in the pistol portion. So yesterday I called to see which ones he had in stock. Just so happens he had the 44 mag stainless version in the shop, which is what I was leaning towards. If he only had the blued version I would have gone with that to let him turn some inventory. This month has been sort of slow at the shop.

After lunch yesterday I went through the ammo box and picked out some cast lead 240 gr, and some JSP 240 gr loads that I had in there along with some JHP factory ammo that I had, then I headed down to the gun shop. He was super busy, so I hung around till things cleared out being that I wasn't in a hurry and I figured he would want to shoot it after I was done with the paperwork, since he said he hadn't had a chance to shoot the newer Rossi 92's. After about an hour, the shop cleared out except for regular customers, we finished the paperwork and then all went outside to the range to shoot it.

It shot a bit high for everyone at 60 yds. I am going to have to decide if I want to swap out for a taller front sight or just adjust the and keep the front sight at the bottom of the rear V. Before we were done the shop owner and I had dialed it in and were hitting stuff at 60 and 100 yds or so shooting from a standing position. We put about 50 or so rounds through it between the 5 of us that shot it. Everyone seemed to like the feel and operation of the gun, but it was about 102 outside yesterday afternoon so we didn't stay out very long. It fed all three types of ammo we ran through it.

For the money, I am satisfied with the gun. Fit and finish is fair, accuracy with the factory sights is good after you get your sight picture adjusted. When I get time to put some rounds through it off of a bench I will decide if I want to modify or replace the sights on the gun. I am curious to see how tight of groups I can get out of it. I will also have to chrono some various rounds out of it, and see what it produces. But I think this will be a viable gun for its intended purpose of woods/hog/deer or even home defense gun that I don't have to be overly worried about if it gets dirty or in the weather.

This gives me a common pistol/rifle caliber gun in 44 mag. The wife already has a 9mm pistol/rifle setup, but I fear that after she shoots this a bit, she may want one of her own to go with her GP100 in 357 mag. It wouldn't hurt my feeling any to add another lever gun. I don't think the Marlins will mind sharing space in the safe.

Anyway, so far I am happy with it we shall see how it goes in the future.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Congratulations on your new addition. I was looking at some .44 Mags the other night online since we have been talking so much about them on here lately. I still might have to get one someday. ;-)

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I have a used blue Rossi in .357, that I bought 6 or 7 years ago, it is a very fun shooter, I am sure the .44 is just as much fun, you will enjoy the rifle for years to come.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Yeah, these are great values for quite a handy lever action carbine.

I have an original Winchester Model 1892 and the Rossi is a pretty faithful copy of the John Browning design. Slicks up smooth with use
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yeah, these are great values for quite a handy lever action carbine.

I have an original Winchester Model 1892 and the Rossi is a pretty faithful copy of the John Browning design. Slicks up smooth with use
    Really, it is another of John Browning's designs, good to know, I wish I could catch a spark of his creative genius.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Links