Best AR pistol for an eventual SBR

This is a discussion on Best AR pistol for an eventual SBR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been doing a little research lately for an AR pistol that I will most likely be converting into a SBR a few years down ...

Thread: Best AR pistol for an eventual SBR

I've been doing a little research lately for an AR pistol that I will most likely be converting into a SBR a few years down the road. Mostly looked at RRA PDS and Sig's 556 pistol. I like the PDS because it has ambi charging handles over the handguards and the lighter weight but the shear fact that Sig's 556 is actually cheaper and is still a Sig makes me lean more towards them. I need some thoughts and opinions on the matter..
    XD45c, XD9sc, LCP

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Just found out LDUB is making pistols........

I would say this is probably the highest quality AR Pistol made.

LWRC International LLC - PSD-P Pistol
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Moderator
    The AR has a lot more customizable parts than the Sig does.

The Sig has the advantage of having a folding stock, something that the AR can not have.

I build some SBR's and the aftermarket parts for the AR are everywhere. The Sig is really limited in that aspect.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Why not just build a pistol lower and get a SBR upper from a quality manufacturer like BCM or DD? I think that's a vastly preferable option to the RRA or sig you mentioned.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

VIP Member
    I'm not sure you can do that conversion legally. Once it's a pistol, I think you're stuck with a pistol, or an illegal pistol. I'm not sure, but you better double check...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I'm not sure you can do that conversion legally. Once it's a pistol, I think you're stuck with a pistol, or an illegal pistol. I'm not sure, but you better double check...
    You can turn a pistol into a rifle or SBR. The ATF just changed the ruling on turning to back into a pistol, but I don't remember the specifics.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    You can turn a pistol into a rifle or SBR. The ATF just changed the ruling on turning to back into a pistol, but I don't remember the specifics.
    Tax stamp only required for turning into rifle, nothing required for turning back into pistol
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Why not just build a pistol lower and get a SBR upper from a quality manufacturer like BCM or DD? I think that's a vastly preferable option to the RRA or sig you mentioned.
    Agree !! The logic hear just does not mesh. It's like purchasing a 1911 because it has fancy grips on it. Just purchase the grips. LOL
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Sponsored Links