HD shotgun choices. Help me.

This is a discussion on HD shotgun choices. Help me. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, this will be my first HD shotgun and also my first shotgun period. Came across some extra money, so I would like to ...

Thread: HD shotgun choices. Help me.

Hey all, this will be my first HD shotgun and also my first shotgun period.

Came across some extra money, so I would like to buy a nice shotgun for HD that will last me a long time and most of all, be reliable. I have narrowed it down to the Remy 870 and the Mossberg 590.

Went to one of two local gunshops today and here's what I have found:

- MB 590A1, $350, used, 8 shot, w/soft case.
    - MB 590 Marine, $500, used, 8 shot, Surefire Light attached, sling, soft case, side saddle, I believe a Fiber Optic green front sight.
    - Remy 870 Express Magnum, $360, used, extended mag tube, foldable stock w/3 shell holder, pistol grip

I will be going to the other gunshop this evening and then I will update this post with what I find there.

Here are my newbie thoughts on the three:

- MB 590A1: Stock, liked it, comfy, light, solid heavy duty gun.

- MB 590 Marine: Tricked out, but minus the sling, everything else I would have added anyway. Love the Marine look, feels solid, slightly heavy, but I'm new to this, so I can adjust, comfy, very nice.

- Remy 870: Nice gun, liked the pistol grip and folding stock, the only thing that bothered me was at the end of the stock, the pad there was made of like a rough foam, so when I de-shouldered it, it would snag on my shirt. Didn't like that at all, but other than that, it was real nice, comfy, balanced.

Overall, I like the MB 590 Marine, b/c it is already the finished product of what I want, but that is a hefty price tag. The 590A1 is heavy duty and I know it will last me a long, long time, but it is stock, but cheaper. And the Remy was nice, I just didn't like my shirt getting snagged.

What do you all think I should do? What would you all do? Opinions?

Thanks for the help and advice.

Mitch
    Last edited by Maveri9720; August 4th, 2006 at 03:29 PM.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    That Marine sounds a little expensive, but not too far outside the realm of possability. If you can haggle over that and get the cost down, IMHO, I would go with that one. Of course my opinion is just that. I have no experience with 870s - just shot my buddys Mossberg.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Yea, I was hoping you all could help me with the prices and let me know if they are fair, good and or the expensive side.

Go find a plain-jane 870 express. No need for the tacticool folding stock, etc.

I dont have anything to add to this, but Im sure Bud White, P95Carry or QKShooter have a reasonable opinion that I would trust.

I would opt for the marine, just because that is my preference. Some gunshops will not budge on a used weapon price.. and im curious how to get them down. I will post a new thread regarding this right now.

S
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Update from 2nd gun store.

Alright, I just came from the second gun store. Here's what I found there:

- Remy 870, $270, used, extended mag tube.
    - Remy 870, new, $360, pistol grip, adjustable stock, extended mag tube.

My overall thoughts:

I will more than likely probably just buy the stock 870 above and build later on in time as I see fit. I don't believe I need the heavy dutiness of the 590A1b/c it will be shot only for practice and used only for HD.

I sure do love the 590 Marine, but don't know if I want to shell out that kind of money for only a HD shotgun. I spent less than that for a new G19 going to be used for my CCW. But, it's nice to know that it is built well and that it has a good finish on it to prevent rusting and has all the accessories I would want on my shotgun.

I have called the local pawn shops and no one has any 870's, or any 870's at a decent price. So I am out of options there. There is a gun show in a couple weeks, if I can hold out that long.

Also, to note, I am a neat freak, so I take good care of everything I own. That means, that whatever I get will be cleaned after every firing, lubed down before storage and maintained well.

Decisions, decisions...........

The Marine sound like a decent deal. What Surefire is added? That can make a difference. If it is the Mossberg weaponlight forearm or a light actually made for attaching to weapons then it is a good deal as most Surefire weapon lights retail for over half the cost of the firearm. If it is a G2, 6P, or the like its not that much better.

I'd say any of the 1st three are a decent deal. I've seen new 500s with an extended mag for $250 or less. But 870s usually for for $299 and up. Although I have heard of a recent price increase.

Keep in mind the heavier gun will also have less recoil. 870s have steel recievers and 500s have aluminum. Also the folding stocks don't usually hold up well. If you want to add a good "tactical" stock then I'd look at either www.knoxx.com or www.mesatactical.com. I have handled/own products from both companies and they are both 1st class.

I personally prefer 870s but thats just me. I'd take either one over a Winchester 1300.

Lead Moderator
    any of em ought to be great, long life weapons.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Id go with the 2nd shops almost stock 870....its a good shotgun...
    Brad B.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    That sounds like a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveri9720
    Alright, I just came from the second gun store. Here's what I found there:

- Remy 870, $270, used, extended mag tube.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Links