New Shotgun, Where to Put it??

This is a discussion on New Shotgun, Where to Put it?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a new Mossberg 500 Persuader shotgun in CA holding pattern now but when I pick it up in a week I'm not sure ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Shotgun, Where to Put it??

I have a new Mossberg 500 Persuader shotgun in CA holding pattern now but when I pick it up in a week I'm not sure where is a good place to put it. I'm in my late 60's, not quick nor do I want to carry it from room to room throughout the day. I know I'll put it in the bedroom when in there for the night, but I'm in the office much of the day. So, do I put it in the office when I get up and in the bedroom at night? I question if I'll actually do that. I do want so experienced opinions but please don't tell me to buy more shotguns.

Bonus question: Saw elsewhere on the forum that #4 is preferred to buckshot. Can that be right?

Do you have an EDC in addition to the shotgun?

I would only pick #4 buck if living in an apartment. Either #1 or 00 are usually the favorites for HD.
    shockwave and Old School like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Not knowing the layout of your house there's no way to make an intelligent recommendation.

As a SWAG, is there a closet handy to your office and the rest of the house that could be put to use as a daytime storage spot?

As to the #4, I only carry 00 Buck and Slugs. If it's shotgun time it's serious stop the threat time.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    The sight of a shotgun will stop the crimminal who could be stopped by #4. Seems like too many times crimminals who will target an occupied home need high test lead to counter their crack/meth high.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Administrator
    I could tell you to put it the same place my wife tells me too every time I buy a new shotgun... but then again, when I buy a new shotgun, it ain't no Mossberg.

Kidding aside, I'd find a central location to your day time area, and one for bedtime. I'd also try and consider you escape routes and likely entry points for intruders and try not to put the shotgun in between you and those paths. I understand thats easy said than done, but it is something to consider.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    I keep my Moss 590SP next to the nighstand. Eight in the tube, one in the chamber, safety on. I bought a relatively inexpensive tac light and light holder. Might eventually end up putting some ghost sights on it, but I can hit (12"x12") paper out to 50 yds with a simple bead. I normally don't move around the house with it and lock it up only when the kids come over or when I go out. I do have an auto for my EDC which I normally have on or near me if/when I'm not wearing it.

Depending on the type of dwelling, layout of the rooms in relation to possible entrance points, maximum distance(s) to target/BG, proximity to neighbors or populated area(s), etc., etc., will generally dictate/determine the type of shell/shot you load your Moss with. You might even consider loading your first (out) one or two shells with #4/#2/00 (or whatever) shot as the "attention getter(s)" to slow down the BG(s), then follow this up with a slug or two as the "pièce de résistance" to close the deal, if needed. Stick to 2 3/4" shells. 3" mags are definitely overkill, no pun intended.

Like any other SD/HD weapon, you should take your Moss out to the (preferably outdoor) range and practice with whatever shot you will be using at home. Get used to the trigger break, sound, recoil/kick, shooting stance and various ways to point and shoot.

Let us know how things work out for you.

AT night, it would be in the bedroom, and during the day in your work area. That's moving it only twice a day.

I have # 2 buckshot in mine. Mine is sitting in my bedroom, but that's about 8 ft from my computer ...
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    At night in the bedroom and during the day in your office. No need for a more elaborate plan.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I have my shotgun staged in my master bedroom all the time... I carry my main defensive firearm in my pocket at all times. If I was to have something go down during the day, I'd use my handgun to fight my way to the shotgun and take it from there.

Excellent choice on the Mossberg I have the 500 Persuader and IMO, for the amount coin spent on a firearm that's going to sit around and do nothing most of the time it's real bargain.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Do you have an EDC in addition to the shotgun?

I would only pick #4 buck if living in an apartment. Either #1 or 00 are usually the favorites for HD.
    I use 00 and Slugs in my HD....00,Slug,00,Slug,00

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

00 is fine and it sounds like you live alone? I wouldnt worry too much about over penetration in a house. I agree with in you office in the day and in the bedroom at night.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have mine mounted on gun magnets overhead inside my closet. Quick & easy access, yet not where it might be quickly found if someone breaks in the house while I'm away and the alarm is blasting. Handguns are kept locked in a small mounted safe while I'm away. Google search on gun magnets.

shotgun_mount.jpg
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Good thoughts and appreciated. I do have a carry gun that's with me a lot during the day so I often have another option. I guess putting it in the office until bedtime then the bedroom makes sense - confirming my own thoughts. I had never thought about hanging it above the closet door! That's a great idea - can't see it unless they walk inside (quite small and cluttered) and turn around. But I'm slow and will probably stand it in the corner next to my bed.

I figgured the entry of choice would be the front doors. I've sunk long bolts into the secondary framing studs, but where they join is fragile. I'm going to have to get one of those bar things that extend between the door knob and tiled floor, hoping to slow their entry and waking me up.

I read folks expressing their plans which sound like the BGs will kick in the door, have a smoke, then walk in. I figure they will kick and enter like the line of your favorite pro football team, no hesitation, and head right for the bedroom. If the first kick takes down the door you have maybe 3 seconds to wake up grab a gun and point it (forget aiming). Maybe a door stop will add a second or third kick and double the time.

Sigh.... I remember when the bad guys were the ones in jail and us citizens didn't even have to lock our doors. Now it's all upside down and we build fortresses and lock ourselves inside. Scary thinking what my grandkids will face someday.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Bonus question: Saw elsewhere on the forum that #4 is preferred to buckshot. Can that be right?
    I'll take shotgun ammo for $200, Alex -

"Number 4" is ambiguous, as there is #4 birdshot and #4 buckshot. I highly recommend the buckshot for defensive purposes.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Show how little I know. #4 Buckshot then. I like the idea of more than 9 pellets but I won't even have the thing for another week. Then to shoot it and see the spread. I guess I'd be forgiven it I got a bad guy but some shot torn into her antique buffet but it would make her cry. Maybe a #4 buckshot would tear it up less?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links