Wanting a rifle in a pistol caliber. One with style. The year was 1873?!

This is a discussion on Wanting a rifle in a pistol caliber. One with style. The year was 1873?! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking to get a rifle and have been looking into something that won't require yet another caliber to buy and store. I have a .223 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigdog44

Thread: Wanting a rifle in a pistol caliber. One with style. The year was 1873?!

Wanting a rifle in a pistol caliber. One with style. The year was 1873?!

Looking to get a rifle and have been looking into something that won't require yet another caliber to buy and store. I have a .223 but am looking for something with a classic look, lever action, and is rooted in history. As I was rewatching season one of Top Shot I think I saw what I am looking for. They were shooting with a Winchester 1873 rifle. What a very cool rifle.

I jumped on Gun Broker and looked them up. The Winchester is a little more than I am hoping to pay but Uberti makes a few that I really like. Octagon barrel, case hardened, and a fine grade walnut. Best of all it comes in 38/357.

So here is my question. How does the Uberti compare? Do you have one or have you shot one? What do you think of these rifles? Would like to use it to shoot, could be great home protection rifle, and it is a talking piece connected to American history.

Look forward to thoughts and comments.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

2. Remove Ads

I would suggest looking at Marlin for this. I have a 336 from them which is chambered in 30-30 and I love it. The main advantage here is that it is side eject, instead of top eject like the Winchester. You would want to look at the 1894C or the 1894CSS if you prefer stainless.

Marlin Model 1894C
    Marlin Model 1894CSS
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    While I do not own one of the 1873 lever guns myself I do own a couple of Uberti made pistols and they are fine quality single actions and I have handled and shot the Uberti leverguns and was very impressed. Uberti has been making quality replica firearms for many years and is now part of the Beretta family. Hard to go wrong with one in my opinion.

I do own a Winchester Trapper in .357 myself and its a fun, reliable little lever gun. You can find them used in great condition for $450-500.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Don't know your cash limit but if you want style, functionality and reputation, look at Henry. I held the 44 mag and the 357 mag versions two days ago and they are tanks to say the least. Heaviest lever actions I've held in pistol calibers. BEAUTIFUL guns! Smooth actions. Priced higher than Marlins but feel much more solid.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I use a Uberti 1873 in Cowboy Action Shooting. It's a .357, it runs like a Swiss watch and I love it.
    I also have a Marlin in same caliber but prefer the Uberti because I like its looks better.
    Any of the choices mentioned so far are excellent; all are used in Cowboy Action Shooting, and please remember an active Cowboy Action competitor will put more rounds downrange in a year than a cowboy would have fired in a lifetime! -- plus in competition, the rifle is run faster, cycled harder and otherwise stressed more and more often than the inventor ever envisioned.
    Both Uberti, Henry and Marlin will stand the gaff in fine shape.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I've looked at several lever action rifles in pistol calibers and they all seem well built and solid. Henry, Rossi, Marlin and others make good guns in .357/.38, .44Mag/Special, 45LC etc. What really counts is what you want the gun for. Cowboy action shooters might prefer a gun that shoots the .38SPL or .45LC while a hunter or self defense shooter might prefer guns in .44Mag. Having handguns and long guns in the same caliber is an idea that's been around almost since they were invented so it must have some pretty good merits! At this time I only own one lever action rifle, a Henry Golden Boy, in a "pistol" caliber (22LR) but I frequently take it, my M&P 15-22, my sons and several .22 revolvers to the range and we all have a very good time. It's really nice that I only need to bring one type of ammo for five different guns and we can shoot them all day long for less than $20.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Thanks for all the thoughts. I do not have a stated purpose for owning one at this point. I was just thinking how fun it would be to own a solid rifle built on a part of our history and one that I do not need to add a bunch of new ammo to the stack. I think for me the fun will be going out and checking many different types of guns out and maybe getting to shoot a few as well. Then i will try to decide. Shooting at targets and just general plinking is where most of the fun would go.

Honestly just got the urge to give one a go after watching them shot on Top Shot and watching all the fun. Kind of thought a Peacemaker might be a hoot as well. Both are so different from my 1911's and AR's.

OK. So I post last night and say I am just going to look around. I am in LGS today and ask if the place has any .357 carbines as all I saw were guns in 44 and 44-40. He said it was my lucky day. he just had a guy in a couple of hours before I arrived who sold the store his Marlin 1894c carbine. My lucky day hit when he said it happened to be in .357. I looked it over and it barely looked shot. I told him I would think about it and come back next weekend if still interested. He said 99% chance it would be sold by Tuesday. He said these are harder to find in this caliber and especially used in this good of condition. He was asking $375 and it came with a box of Winchester white box 110 gr hollow points.

So guess what happened. I bought it. I can not wait to go shoot it. Already cleaned and oiled and ready to go. So here is the down side. Sitting in the gun case was a S&W model 41. In mint condition and for 800 bucks. Oh my. I have had one of those on my short list for a long time. I left it but it is calling me for sure. What to do?
    TCT likes this.

Marlin 1894c.jpg

I know... Pics. Here we go.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I think you did real good.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Great find... Congrats
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Good karma surrounds you. You better give heavy to the Salvation Army this year to keep it going.

I say hold off on the 41...for now. You are riding the "I can't believe i got what I wanted at a great price and I want more guns now" high. Happens everytime I buy one!

Unless you hav the cash and that price is unbeatable. Then I say, go get it, buy beware the "I can't believe i got what I wanted at a great price and I want more guns now" high coming back...
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I just got my Rossi Ranch Hand (.38 Spl/.357Mag). I'm waiting for the Rossi Model 92 to come in. I want the carbine (18") and big loop lever in .38SPL/.357Mag.

The Ranch Hand feels solid but due to rains I'll have to wait until next weekend to shoot it for the first time.
    USN Retired

Excellent find

Jealous I am
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Links