long gun choice

long gun choice

This is a discussion on long gun choice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; considering the purchase of a defensive long gun - your thoughts? 1. already have a remimgton 870 2. i am really in to ruger firearms ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: long gun choice

long gun choice

considering the purchase of a defensive long gun - your thoughts?
    1. already have a remimgton 870
    2. i am really in to ruger firearms - how about the mini-14?
    i've read several less than positive comments about the rifle
    also ? .223, .308, or .762x39
    3. if not the mini-14; then what - ak-47, sks ?
    the little lady would baulk at the paramilitary look

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    AK!! They're great. 30rd mags, usually comes with 2. At the local gun show, you can get a Romanian design SK, built in the US, WITH a folding rear stock (if you so choose) or all wooden stocks for no more than $450.

They're dirt cheap- relatively- and they'll go forever. And, it's not a .22.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    If you like Ruger Firearms and the lady would be a little upset with the AK-47's paramilitary look, then I say go with the Ruger Mini-14. It is a great rifle, affordable and it can be fully customized to your needs! I would get it in .308 .
    Justified likes this.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    If you like Ruger Firearms and the lady would be a little upset with the AK-47's paramilitary look, then I say go with the Ruger Mini-14. It is a great rifle, affordable and it can be fully customized to your needs! I would get it in .308 .
    Mini-14's don't come in .308 first of all, your choices are .223, 7.62X39, or recently 6.8SPC. If you buy a custom one from someone like accuracy systems or similar you can get other calibers. If your looking for a more standard rifle look go for the mini 14, but for magazine availability, commonality of parts and proven ability you can't beat an AR-15 patterned rifle. AND you can get them cheap these days.

Is cost an issue? For the money a ruger is a great choice. And the mini will take .223 or nato. I just got a great deal on one and the tacticool stuff is coming in.

New Toy
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

If you like Ruger, why not look in to the SR556?

Vastly better than a Mini-14....it isn't even close....and Ruger included some top-shelf do-dads with it, like Troy sites/rail.

The AR platform has, by far, the widest selection of options, accessories and ammunition of any rifle ever made. Ruger made a winner with the SR556.

Now I would prefer a BCM/Daniel Defense/Noveske/KAC/LWRC AR for personal reasons, but you mentioned your taste for Ruger guns.

With all due respect, the "little lady" lacks a proper understanding/education of firearms if the "look" of one is some how an issue. They fire the same ammo, essentially do the same thing.....but for a defense gun, guess what? The AR is purpose built for that reason (among others).

If you said "I'd like a basic every day rifle for my ranch.", then the Mini 14 wouldn't be a bad option.....but that isn't the case.
    You did mention an AK, so I'm guessing if she's cool with that, an AR is a piece of cake.
    كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

How far do you need to shoot? You can use Google maps to look up your address, get an aerial view, and check sight lines.

If less than 100-150 yards, you could just get some slugs for your Rem 870, and call it a day.

If you want a rifle, the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle is an excellent choice. Less "military looking" than an AR or an AK. A lever gun would be another good choice, and even less "military" looking. The tool matters less than the person wielding it.

The pros and cons of the Mini 14 vs AR vs AK have been debated ad nauseum. Do a search and you'll find a lot of threads on the subject.

I prefer the Mini over the AR due to a personal dislike for the direct gas system of the AR. I prefer the Mini to the AK because I like my semi-auto rifle to lock open when empty. I also like that I can reach into the chamber with the Mini to clear a jam (which has never happened), while you cannot reach into the chamber area of either the AR or the AK. Just my preference.

But...I like my lever gun better than all of them. I prefer the .30-30 to the 5.56; I like that I can top off the mag tube; and I like that there are no detachable mags to worry about. It's a simple system, and for civilian needs, it still works quite well.
    Cory1022 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I think you can't go wrong with a good AK, but I LOVE my mini! The ergos of the mini just fit me, I really like the controls, and the thing will not jam. Most of the time I feed it the crappiest of crap ammo and it just keeps popping along. It one downside, mags. You HAVE to use Ruger factory mags and they are not cheap. Count on $30 for a 30 rounder or $20 for a 20 rounder as being as cheap as you can get them anywhere. Also 20 round mini 30 mags are hard to find and cost even more.

Ex Member
    I carried a AR for 2 years in Vietnam. I owned a Mini 14 for 10 years. I own, and would recommend, a WASR. Pretty they ain't reliable they is. You could get a WASR, 10 mags, and 1000 rounds of ammo for LESS than the basic cost of a Mini, or AR.

RKM
    I too have a WASR. It's true, they're not a pretty gun, but they work. There are AK snobs out there who wouldn't even look in a WASR's direction, but they work. You just have to get your hands on one and look it over for the common issues (canted sights and gas blocks, mag wobble, etc.)

Though, my main defensive long gun is my AR. My AK is on stand-by, or I could through it to another family member if god forbid, that much S has HTF.

Well my recommendation would be the ak74.

- You can get a good one for well under 600 dollars.
    - Mags are around $12 a piece.
    - Ammo is way cheaper than 7.62 or 556 which is where you will save money the most.
    - Just as reliable as the ak47 but shoots flatter giving you more accuracy at longer distances.
    - Very little recoil makes follow up shots too easy.
    - Just be aware the super cheap ammo is corrosive surplus so if you dont clean it well after shooting you could see rust.

If she's got a problem with the "military" look, then first of all you might want to educate her on the benefits of those features. Pistol grip - easier to get on target, barrel shroud - to prevent burning your hands if you should accidentally touch the barrel, etc, etc...

If it's still a problem, my recommendation would then be a Saiga rifle. Made at Izhmash in Russia, on the same lines as the military's AK rifle, with the same receivers, but they come into the country in sporterized configuration. You can find them in .223, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, .308, or .30-06. This also gives you the option of converting the firearm to a true Russian AK after you've convinced her that cosmetic features aren't really an issue. And even if she doesn't, just by swapping out a few parts with American ones and adding a bullet guide, you'll have access to all the mil-surp hi-cap magazines for the AK.

Not to mention, they can be had for around $350 new.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Just get an M1A, or an M1 Garand.

My wife, who does not particularly care for my EBR's, thought my Garand was pretty darn neat when I brought it home.

One could also consider a M1 carbine.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

My vote is for a nice, surplus M1 carbine.
    Cheaper than most of the above.
    Super-easy to shoot.
    15, 20 and 30 rd mags available.
    .30 carbine ammo won't over-penetrate like .223 or .308.
    Very small and perfect for close-quarter encounters.
    Easy to hide.
    FUN to shoot.
    Add a reproduction folding paratrooper stock, and it's even more useful, and just about off the coolness chart!
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

For my wife and I, the M1 Carbine serves as the home/perimeter defense choice for the household. A similar sized Winchester Model 1907 .351 is also kept ready to repel boarders. A dependable short-barreled 12 gauge Remington Model 11 shotgun could be used as well but I'm not actually all that keen on the shotgun for home defense. The magazine-fed M1 Carbine or Winchester '07 both hold more ammunition, give completely reliable function, offer great performance at 100 yards or less, and are easier and quicker to reload. I'll leave the home defense shotgun for its fans.

BigRay is right when he says the M1 Carbine is "perfect for close-quarter encounters." No other rifle points as naturally as an M1 Carbine for me. That's the main reason I don't care for any AR 15/AK configuration or any lever-action.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links