Need some advice...swap a 870 Express Magnum HD for a Mossberg 500A?

This is a discussion on Need some advice...swap a 870 Express Magnum HD for a Mossberg 500A? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello to the wisdom of the DC! Here's the deal: I was at my LGS this morning and they had a Mossberg 500A on sale ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Need some advice...swap a 870 Express Magnum HD for a Mossberg 500A?

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

Need some advice...swap a 870 Express Magnum HD for a Mossberg 500A?

Hello to the wisdom of the DC!

Here's the deal:

I was at my LGS this morning and they had a Mossberg 500A on sale used for $265. It has the extended mag tube (7 shells of 2 3/4"), a heat shield, collapsible stock, pistol grip, side saddle on the stock (6 rounds), 2-point sling, and a ridiculous (and I mean ridiculous) scope-flashlight-laser combo on top. It's in pretty good shape. I currently have a stock Remington 870 Express Magnum Home Defense doing HD duty. It has nothing done to it. It is just as it was in the box.

I am thinking about taking the stupid scope stuff off and maybe putting it on my son's plinking .22 just for him to enjoy.

If I do that, what do you think of the deal? I think I can sell my 870 for probably $225 on the local internet classifieds (yay for Craigslist being dumb), and if I do I get basically a pistol grip, collapsible stock, and side saddle for $60, plus the scope for my son. But does that sound reasonable to you? The Mossy comes with the original stock as well.

Thanks for the input!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

2. Remove Ads

You are trading a hunting shotgun for a purely tactical one - is that what you want?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I have another 870 Express Super Magnum that I hunt with. This Remington is the Home Defense model, so it has the short barrel, no choke, extended mag. So it is a purpose-built HD tool as well. And I wouldn't hunt with it because I have a hunting shotgun.

Ex Member
    Sounds like a good deal. Go for it.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Go for it. You already have a hunting shotgun, so get the Mossberg to have a great home defense tactical shotgun!!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Since you already have an 870, go for it.
    I have the mossy, it's great, but someday I may get the 870 too.

I personally like the 870 better than the 500 but thats just personal opinion. If you want it go for it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I would keep the 870 if it were me but this isn't my deal.
    SCGunLover1

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    It sounds like a good deal, but since you have an 870 for hunting, and you've been used to running an 870 for HD, you'll want to get in some training with the Mossy, before you stash it away in the corner for HD.

The pistol grip on that 500, be sure you work the safety a bit, in the store - to be sure those ergos are acceptable for you.

And be sure you can get a good cheek and sight-picture with that stock.

You know--you've got a better HD shotgun already. Sure, the mossy has one more round...but all the tacticrap junk on it really doesn't do much to improve functionality.

And this isn't a mossy/remmy thing, either; I own both a 500 and a 870, and actually slightly prefer the mossy.

If it floats your boat, go for it. I wouldn't, though.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    I have another 870 Express Super Magnum that I hunt with. This Remington is the Home Defense model, so it has the short barrel, no choke, extended mag. So it is a purpose-built HD tool as well. And I wouldn't hunt with it because I have a hunting shotgun.
    I have the same HD shot gun and for the price, I'm very well satisfied with it. I thought about trading for a real fancy one but, ended up putting a five shot saddle on the receiver and Surefire forearm and light on it. Then again, it's nice to improve your collection.

The two hunting shotguns I've used for 25+ years both have their safeties at the rear of the trigger guard. If you're used to that and using it is absolutely instinctive, the tang-mounted safety of the Mossberg may take some getting used to.

My deer rifle is a Ruger 77, and its tang safety drives me nuts. Too easy to snick off when carrying the gun at a port arms position... but I like the gun otherwise too much to replace it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I'm a Mossberg fan but if it were me I'd keep the 870.

Two reasons:

1. The 870 is a proven commodity for you and you would be trading it in for a used gun you know nothing about.

2. A pistol grip on a Mossberg is like a screen door on a submarine. The pistol grip will completely throw off the ergos of the Mossy. Mossys are set up for a standard type stock.

I'd keep the 870.
    SIXTO likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

If you do the trade, with the safety on the Mossberg, I would keep it in "cruiser mode" at home.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Thanks for the wisdom, everyone! I think at the end of the day I am just going to keep my 870 and look at getting the side saddle for it that I want instead of going through the rigamarole of learning a new HD shotgun. It's a good deal, but not a smart one for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links