Sighting

This is a discussion on Sighting within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What yardage do you sight in your Defnse rifle's scope/laser? I have a nice ruger mini 14 with a decent true glow scope and a ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Doodle
  • 2 Post By jonconsiglio

Thread: Sighting

Sighting

What yardage do you sight in your Defnse rifle's scope/laser?

I have a nice ruger mini 14 with a decent true glow scope and a decent UTG light/laser combo mounted. My neighbors garage is about 40 yards or so from my coffee table and I used a bore laser to dial in the scope a little and same with the laser. It is my understanding (because I have yet to have a chance to fire this pretty lady) that the mini 14 are good out to about 300 yards. I can't imagine in my tightly packed neighborhood ever needing this distance. Opinions?
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I'll sight my deer rifles in at 100 and then run a ballistic chart on them to see the drop at various distances.

If you go to JBM Ballistics, you can plug in any variable you want, plug in the speed, weight,BC, and various zero ranges and play around with it to see what you come up with.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I also sight my main rifle in for 100 yds, with a scope dial up card out to 500 yds taped to the stock.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'll sight my deer rifles in at 100 and then run a ballistic chart on them to see the drop at various distances.

If you go to JBM Ballistics, you can plug in any variable you want, plug in the speed, weight,BC, and various zero ranges and play around with it to see what you come up with.
    I was think 100 but didn't want a visit from a LEO as to why I'm pointing a rifle laser down the street. This sounds like it is good info but I'm green as grass with rifles (other then my .22)
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I am in the 100 yard camp. Just what was passed down to me.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    I was think 100 but didn't want a visit from a LEO as to why I'm pointing a rifle laser down the street. This sounds like it is good info but I'm green as grass with rifles (other then my .22)
    I've read that if you sight in at 50yds 5.56 will cross your sight line again between 400 and 500 yards meaning you can basically aim center of mass all the way out to 500 yards. I can personally attest to this as I sighted my red dot on my AR at 50yds and could hit a man sized profile steel plate at 400 over and over just by aiming center of mass. (or close, the dot covered the whole target at 400)
    Justified likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Lots of variables there and it is dependent on height of the sight line.

Most rifles that are sighted in at 25 yards will be within a couple inches ethier way at 100 yards.
    Most scopes that are mounted are around one and a half inches over the bore. When you sight at 25 yards, you are angling the sight to hit dead on at 25. At 100 yards the bullet is dropping right into zero at 100 yards...for most guns. Of course there are always exceptions to this. If you have high mounts,then the zero will be a bit longer than 100 yards.

Once again, you can tell exactly what it is using a ballistics program. I've used them out to 1000 yards, and if the factors that you plug in are accurate, the program will be very accurate.

Its just mathematics and its fairly staight forward.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

What yardage do you sight in your Defnse rifle's scope/laser?

I have a nice ruger mini 14 with a decent true glow scope and a decent UTG light/laser combo mounted. My neighbors garage is about 40 yards or so from my coffee table and I used a bore laser to dial in the scope a little and same with the laser. It is my understanding (because I have yet to have a chance to fire this pretty lady) that the mini 14 are good out to about 300 yards. I can't imagine in my tightly packed neighborhood ever needing this distance. Opinions?
    I agree 300 yards is aways away. My AR-15 is sighted in at 100yds & its perfect for my surroundings. I would need a lot more practice to be dropping targets at 300yds.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Unless you have other specific requirements such as hunting, a 50-yard zero works well for the 5.56/.223 round shot from an AR or Mini14. It's on target again at 200 yards, and within 2 inches of point of aim from muzzle out to 250 yards or more. For defensive purposes that's accurate enough.

My .30 cal rifles used on deer or for fun - different story due to a much less flat trajectory than the 5.56.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

All I'll add to the advice already given - is that you should probably do your zeroing at a range.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Double tap
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; August 14th, 2011 at 08:24 PM.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I've read that if you sight in at 50yds 5.56 will cross your sight line again between 400 and 500 yards meaning you can basically aim center of mass all the way out to 500 yards. I can personally attest to this as I sighted my red dot on my AR at 50yds and could hit a man sized profile steel plate at 400 over and over just by aiming center of mass. (or close, the dot covered the whole target at 400)
    Whoa, that's pretty off! You can zero at 200 (or 215, give or take) and have POA/POI at 50 yards and 200 meters, roughly. You will hit about 1.5" high at 100 and about 8" low at 300. At 500 you'll be about 40" to 55" low with 55 and 75 grain respectively.

With a 100 yard/meter zero, it's the only zero that only has one POA/POI. It's reaches it's peak height at 100 yards then drops. With a 50/200 or 25/350, at 50 or 25, the bullet crosses your line of sight on it's upward path, it the reaches it's peak at 1.5" high around 110 yards for the 50/200 and about 9" high around 220 for the 25/350, then travels back downward and again crosses the line of sight around 200 or 350, respectively.

Either way, within 300 yards, you'll have a variance up to 9", regardless of the three most common zeros. For combat, both the 50/200 and 100 are preferred to the 25/300. A variance of 9" high is harder to compensate in the field under stress and a guess at distances than it is 9" low. Holding high center mass, I'd rather hit low at a couple hundred meters than high as the head is less than half as wide as the torso - which on average is only 19". So, a 4 MOA gun/ammo combination at 300 meters will be about 12".

Zeroing a laser can be a different situation. A PEQ 15 or DBAL will have an offset to deal with, often high and right. There's a set of instructions included in most cases.
    glockman10mm and Justified like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

For my defensive rifles I sight in at 50 yds because of the relatively flat trajectory out to 250 yds.
    "Evil prospers when good men and women do nothing" - British citizen

Links