Who Makes Rich Men's Shotguns?

This is a discussion on Who Makes Rich Men's Shotguns? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I watched the tail end of Sopranos today (I think on A&E) and Tony gave his father-in-law a very nice shotgun. I'm assuming it may ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Who Makes Rich Men's Shotguns?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Who Makes Rich Men's Shotguns?

I watched the tail end of Sopranos today (I think on A&E) and Tony gave his father-in-law a very nice shotgun. I'm assuming it may have been an over and under. It came disassembled in a nice wooden case. It had and absolutely gorgeous butt-stock, I believe it might have been Burl.

My question is;

What kind of gun could this have been? Who makes ultra-expensive shotguns that only the rich could afford? I've seen shows where they have shown very rare Benellis and Winchesters, etc. Are there some brands though that only make expensive models; like Ferrari of the shotgun world?

2. Remove Ads

Holland and Holland comes to mind, as does James Purdey & Sons

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Holland and Holland comes to mind, as does James Purdey & Sons
    Oh wow. Those are gorgeous.

Senior Moderator
    Perazzi has some high dollar stuff.
    DefConGun likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    They are usually referred to as "Fine Shotguns". There are many brands like James Purdey and Sons, Holland & Holland, Rizzini, Caesar Guerini, Cogwell & Harrison, William Powell & Son, Needham, Abbiatico & Salvinelli, Beretta and tons of many fine manufacturers in the UK, Italy, Spain and France. They are beautiful but also extremely expensive. They go anywhere from €2,500 and up to €100,000 depending on the manufacturer and design.

The shotgun that Tony Soprano gave his father for his 75th Birthday was a Beretta DT10 O/U Shotgun.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

There's a guy east of here that makes Custom Shotguns, and has done so for lots of well known people... from John Wayne, Hesston, and other stars, to some very rich people, to professional shooters. He's well known all over the country as well as outside the country.

There are "custom" makers , who are not tied to any of the Companies, that make the "best" shotguns. A $10,000 - $20,000 shotgun is a cheap shotgun for them ..... I have seen a couple over $200,000. Typical, probably $40-75,000.

My sister had them do one for her, and a friend's sister also had him make her one that was well over $200,000.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    They are usually referred to as "Fine Shotguns". There are many brands like James Purdey and Sons, Holland & Holland, Rizzini, Caesar Guerini, Cogwell & Harrison, William Powell & Son, Needham, Abbiatico & Salvinelli, Beretta and tons of many fine manufacturers in the UK, Italy, Spain and France. They are beautiful but also extremely expensive. They go anywhere from €2,500 and up to €10,000 depending on the manufacturer and design.

The shotgun that Tony Soprano gave his father for his 75th Birthday was a Beretta DT10 O/U Shotgun.

You are the man!

Thanks for the info and the Soprano tid bit ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    There's a guy east of here that makes Custom Shotguns, and has done so for lots of well known people... from John Wayne, Hesston, and other stars, to some very rich people, to professional shooters. He's well known all over the country as well as outside the country.

There are "custom" makers , who are not tied to any of the Companies, that make the "best" shotguns. A $10,000 - $20,000 shotgun is a cheap shotgun for them ..... I have seen a couple over $200,000. Typical, probably $40-75,000.

My sister had them do one for her, and a friend's sister also had him make her one that was well over $200,000.
    Oh wow. Well if there can be custom guitar builders then why not custom shotgun makers?

For that much money, I'm sure you get it any way you want it. I bet they are gorgeous.

Thanks for the info!

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I'll ask. What makes a shotgun $200,000?
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Hand work, absolutely the best materials, every feature the customer demands, and fitted to the customer's body and shooting style.

To the OP, find a copy of the periodical The Double Gun Journal... talk about eye candy!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I'll ask. What makes a shotgun $200,000?
    Diamonds & gold.

I don't know. If you get elaborate, I can see where you could make a shotgun worth $200,000. Regardless of what the item is, however, anything is only worth as much as what someone is willing to give for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Hand work, absolutely the best materials, every feature the customer demands, and fitted to the customer's body and shooting style.

To the OP, find a copy of the periodical The Double Gun Journal... talk about eye candy!
    Thanks for the heads up gasmitty ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Diamonds & gold.

I don't know. If you get elaborate, I can see where you could make a shotgun worth $200,000. Regardless of what the item is, however, anything is only worth as much as what someone is willing to give for it.
    I can see inlays with those items driving the cost up infinitely. I can see using woods that are considered the rarest of all woods. Maybe titanium for all of the metal parts or the metal used on that $100,000 razor I saw a while back (some meteorite metal). hard to wrap my head around a shotgun without these materials going for a quarter mil.

Do people get "fitted" for long guns like golfers do for clubs? This is a serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Do people get "fitted" for long guns like golfers do for clubs? This is a serious question.
    One of those Science Channel shows that shows how things are made or done showed Purdey's manufacturing process. The sequence started with a fitting...so yes.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    One of those Science Channel shows that shows how things are made or done showed Purdey's manufacturing process. The sequence started with a fitting...so yes.
    that's pretty cool. See a need, fill a need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links