Armalite vs DPMS Which is better?

This is a discussion on Armalite vs DPMS Which is better? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Armalite vs DPMS Which is better? I can get the Armalite rifle ( 2,000.00) or just the upper(1,000.00) The DPMS rifle is 1,000.00 Is the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Armalite vs DPMS Which is better?

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

I can get the Armalite rifle ( 2,000.00) or just the upper(1,000.00) The DPMS rifle is 1,000.00 Is the Armalite that much better?

AR-10A4NM RIFLE 7.62 CHR. BLK.

Panther™ LR-308
    DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

2. Remove Ads

For $2000, I personally wouldn't go with either. If those were my only 2 choices, I'd go for the Armalite in a second.

That being said, and within the $2k range, I'd pick up a complete BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, Colt or Spikes Tactical.

The differences between these guns lies in the details.....to some, that matters, to others it doesn't.

The barrel steel, whether or not the bolt has been MP/HP tested, what sort of trigger and LPK has been used, the quality of the barrel construction and so on.

My rifles, as in all of my rifles, have several purposes, one being defensive use. As long as that is a characteristic of their use, the details definately matter.

You didn't state the intended use of the guns you mentioned....and if casual target shooting is the extent of it, I'd go with DPMS without hesitation. If, however, you're going to use this weapon as a defensive carbine, my recommendations above stand.

This is Bravo Company Manufacturing's basic model, highly recommended and well within your price range:

This is a basic model from Daniel Defense, for $1537, an exceptional rifle:

LMT makes several models within your range, and all have the details covered. Here's a favorite:

Each of these guns covers all the important bases, costs equal to $2k or significantly less and each is at the top of their class as reliable, well built defensive carbines that should outlast you.
    كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

Then again, now that I actually see you're looking for a .308, disregard the post above.
    كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

My borther in law owned an Armalight AR-10 and it was so finnicky it would not run a whole magazine. He went round and round with Armalight and ended up trading it for a DPMS AR-15. I have heard great things about the LR-308's.

JT
    Armalite > DPMS. Hands down.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I have a SCAR Heavy and recently sold a LWRC REPR. I'd highly recommend both, though they're more expensive. I would not go for the DPMS. I would never recommend anything DPMS actually.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    . I would never recommend anything DPMS actually.
    Well, I would... I own DPMS and know of many and they run perfectly. You dont have to spend even $1000 to have a reliable, accurate AR.

VIP Member
    Neither. Look elsewhere.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mlkx4 View Post
    Well, I would... I own DPMS and know of many and they run perfectly. You dont have to spend even $1000 to have a reliable, accurate AR.
    Whew. Thank you for straightening me out. I knew the Piece of trash, tight chambered, unreliable DPMS I owned years ago and all the ones I've seen take a dump during classes had to just be a fluke!

Stay in the shallow end.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by mlkx4 View Post
    And you're right about the second part. You can pick up a Colt or BCM for under $1,000 as well when it comes to ARs.

Double tap, sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post

I can get the Armalite rifle ( 2,000.00) or just the upper(1,000.00) The DPMS rifle is 1,000.00 Is the Armalite that much better?

Panther™ LR-308
    DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.
    I don't think the Armalite is necessarily twice as good, but you need to look at how the company handles it's customers as well. I'll spend three times as much as the DPMS, but I use mine pretty hard. You can hold out for the new Colt CM903 (or something like that) that will take 5.56 uppers as well... It's supposed to be priced a bit under 2 grand as well.

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to hell and back reliability, get a Colt or something else. If you want something to have fun with that could be pressed into service in a shtf situation, it may serve you.

Its kind of like using big heavy bullets, theres no guarentee that one will work better that a smaller one in a one shot stop deal, but, you are eliminating variables that could cause you issues.

Having said that, and just to piss off Jon, I do have a Bushmaster that has served me very well with no issue, although I keep my Colt just in case.:)
    jonconsiglio likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    It depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to hell and back reliability, get a Colt or something else. If you want something to have fun with that could be pressed into service in a shtf situation, it may serve you.

Its kind of like using big heavy bullets, theres no guarentee that one will work better that a smaller one in a one shot stop deal, but, you are eliminating variables that could cause you issues.

Having said that, and just to piss off Jon, I do have a Bushmaster that has served me very well with no issue, although I keep my Colt just in case.:)
    I see how it is!!

i had a LR-243, it shot great... after adding a nice 2 stage..

if u want high end,
    LaRue Tactical E-Commerce Web Site - OBR 7.62

or Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links