I took the plunge...

This is a discussion on I took the plunge... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by First Sgt I I figure with a red dot, I should be comfortable in being able to reach out and touch someone ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I took the plunge...

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I I figure with a red dot, I should be comfortable in being able to reach out and touch someone accurately, up to maybe 150 to 200 yards as well as handle close in requirements.
    100 yards might be feasible... you still have better than 200 foot-pounds of energy available to you at that range. I think if you zero at 50 yards you'll be within 6 inches at 100. But 200 yards? Forget it... you're looking at about a 60-inch bullet drop at that range.

Keep it real. There's a lot to be said for pistol-ammo carbines, just recognize their limitations.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

I think they only make sense when you want a suppressed long gun firing subsonic ammo. If I'm going to take the size hit to go to a shoulder fired gun, I want the advantage in power and range of a rifle round.
    bwalker25 likes this.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    100 yards might be feasible... you still have better than 200 foot-pounds of energy available to you at that range. I think if you zero at 50 yards you'll be within 6 inches at 100. But 200 yards? Forget it... you're looking at about a 60-inch bullet drop at that range.

Keep it real. There's a lot to be said for pistol-ammo carbines, just recognize their limitations.
    I believe in my OP I said "MAYBE 150 to 200 yds". I defer to YOUR expertise and will try to hold my shots (if necessary) under 150 yards...

Just jokin with ya gasmitty...I appreciate you pointing out the ballistics information/limitations to me. It's something of which I have very little knowledge.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I have come close on several occasions getting a Beretta CX4 carbine then I sold my 92.

Depending on your Beretta pistol you can get the carbine in 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

There I go thinking about more guns.

Tactical-Life.com Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm

Oh hell nice Uzi Guantes !!!!!!!!!
    +1 on the CX4 (and the Uzi :)). I have one and love it. Accepts the same 17-round mags as the 9mm PX-4 as well.

The new hi-point carbine is actually a very 'nice' carbine for the money. I have had 2 and both were flawless with any ammo. And they are a blast to shoot. If they had higher capacity mag options they would be even better. One thing you might want to do is refinish the receiver early on. They rust very easily.

WHAT!!!!,Hi-Point?!!!,why didn't you look at Kel-Tek,will accept G17 mags,and far more reliable,and folds up to about 16 inches,so it will fit in a 3-day assault bag nicely.

My 12 gauge is still my primary HD weapon, but I have a 995 loaded and ready as a backup.

We rent Hi Point carbines at the range where I work and they are very easy to shoot, especially for beginners, but they haven't been holding up in the long term. Parts breakage and rust.

I've got a road trip coming up and SWMBO and I are using our Glocks as CCWs for a number of reasons mostly related to ease of maintenence and repair. I believe I'll end up taking my Uzi as a "long" gun for the trip to allow only one kimd of ammo. The PCC concept works.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Get a Kel-Tec, better, more reliable, and they use your Glock mags.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I have a Hi Point 995 and it is my grand kids favorite pistol caliber carbine to shoot with a red dot mounted. I have less than $100 in it and it has never failed to perform. Not beautiful, but neither am I.

I have been buying carbines to match pistols I own or pistols to match rifles. I have 9mm covered and I bought a Kel Tec in .40 a couple of weeks ago--it is ok too. I have had a Marlin Camp 45 for years to go with my 1911s and 1917 Colt and S&W revolvers. I have lever guns in .38/.357 mag, so I am well on my way.

I would like one of the Beretta's in 9mm, .40 or .45acp, just because. Really always wanted a Thompson, but have not found a good used bargain yet. I also want either a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Car or one of the out of production. S&W double action revolvers in ..30.

So many guns, so little time and funds.

Bah! None of the above. Get one if those cool kits that turn your Glock in to an assault rifle. There is even one with a 16" barrel so you don't have any special paperwork to fill out. Never mind that the kit probably costs as much as your Glock. You would not have to worry about any special magazines that way.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

That's a possibility, but that eliminates the use of your Glock as a handgun while it is so configured.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    That's a possibility, but that eliminates the use of your Glock as a handgun while it is so configured.
    A real believer has more than just one Glock.........

I know of one retired LEO that sometimes carries two Beretta 92's at the same time.......
    canav844 likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Tu che.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    They both work well for what they are.......inexpensive 9mm carbines. Not battle hard weapons by any means but fine for plinking and truck/HD role if you choose to use them for that. Are these "serious" duty guns? That would depend on the type and kind of duty you are needing them for. For what I would consider serious work, I have AR's and Ak's for that role myself but these little carbines should not to be dismissed for HD role IMO. All in All they are very fun to shoot and cheap to feed and that is what counts with these little rifles.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links