I took the plunge...

This is a discussion on I took the plunge... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been reading, looking, and pondering for a while concerning a compatible (with my 9mm handguns) carbine (9mm) that could be utilized for Home Defense ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I took the plunge...

I took the plunge...

I've been reading, looking, and pondering for a while concerning a compatible (with my 9mm handguns) carbine (9mm) that could be utilized for Home Defense if necessary or "bug out" SHTF type situations. I basically wanted to try and keep my self defense weapons in the same caliber to reduce ammo weight and different types of ammo, in the event the family and I found ourselves having to either defend or bug out and defend in transit. I figure with a red dot, I should be comfortable in being able to reach out and touch someone accurately, up to maybe 150 to 200 yards as well as handle close in requirements. After weighing several possibilities, I decided to get a Hi Point 995TS Carbine. Tough, lightweight, ability to add some aftermarket goodies, lifetime warranty, affordable, etc etc...The only negative for me was it has to have Hi Point mags and won't take my Glock mags...Otherwise, I'm excited, I took the plunge, and can't wait to get it..

Does anyone have one of these little carbines? What do you think of it?
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

This gun will take your glock mags:
    TDI Vector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although It looks like they don't make a 9mm version at the moment

Owning 9mm handguns, I agree with the value of a 9mm carbine as a niche or other category weapon. I don't see the lack of using your pistol mags as a significant handicap. I don't have a Hi Point, but mine also requires distinct mags.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

My answer to the 9mm carbine is a G17 with 33rnd mags. Its all good my friend.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Not really comparable.

I personally think its one of the smartest things one can do, not just logistically, but from a tactical standpoint. I have heard some really good things about the Highpoint Carbine.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'm not going o go out and buy a Hi Point, so I will have to settle for what I have.
    Attached Images

Cool

I have come close on several occasions getting a Beretta CX4 carbine then I sold my 92.

Depending on your Beretta pistol you can get the carbine in 9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

There I go thinking about more guns.

Tactical-Life.com Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm

Oh hell nice Uzi Guantes !!!!!!!!!
    bds9009 likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I love the idea of instilling versatility by having multiple weapons all of the same caliber.

Please let us know how you like it when you get it.

Administrator
    I've been a fan of the PCC for a long time. I think it can be the ideal home defense weapon. I just wish manufactures would make a serious contender in the market. Beretta is the only one, but the based it a aging and "out of vogue" platform, the 92 series.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've been a fan of the PCC for a long time. I think it can be the ideal home defense weapon. I just wish manufactures would make a serious contender in the market. Beretta is the only one, but the based it a aging and "out of vogue" platform, the 92 series.
    I like my PCC in the .357 variety, which goes with the "out of vogue" revolver. But it still works great for me.

I think a lot of times, people are dishonest with themselves in their threat assessments, and skip over the PCC's for HD, in order to go all tacti-cool.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

It does make me wonder what you'd see as a maximum effective range of 9mm; there comes a point when having multiple calibers is requirement for the range to be useful. I tend to think of 9mm as sub 100yards, but that may be a preconceived notion; I see the 9mm carbine as having more value for highly effective placement of the 9mm that you do have in short range. Anyone have a resource with more info? Sources that led OP to take the plunge? Commonality of caliber is intriguing, especially if we face an ammo shortage next fall in the same manner we had a few years ago, to stock one caliber can be easier; but diversity of caliber might make it so I can use whatever is left on the shelves.

I wouldn't worry too much about the magazine variation, the weight difference on empty magazines is negligible and if they're loaded up when SHTF then that's that much more that you're ready.

Glock Certified Armorer

One could mount a determined defense and make adversaries "jump and fetch" at 100 yards with 9mm bullets. The little carbines easily shoot flat enough to make good hits out to well over 100 yards. An acquaintance had a Hi Point 9mm Carbine and we used it to register easy hits on water-filled 2-liter pop bottles out to 165 yards with very little hold-over or effort expended in ranging them. Made me kinda want one but since I have an M1 Carbine there's really no sense in acquiring one.
    No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    The timing of this thread is interesting. When recently surveying my surplus of G19 magazines (both standard and hi-cap), I've been pondering a 9mm carbine as well. I'm presently researching:

JR Carbine

and

Keltec Sub 2000

I was impressed by the JRC carbine by EMF that I saw recently. I like the ability of the Kel Tecs to be customized and made fancy in various ways. An Olympic AR with a Glock (and also one with a Sten) magazine well is on my short list. The Hi Points are clunky and cheaply made. I'd rather spend more and get a quality gun compatible with my magazines that I could rely on. A lifetime warranty is no good in the aftermath of a hurricane or if zombies keep you from getting to the Post Office to ship it back for repair.

As for effective range and such, search for a site called "ballistics by the inch" and look at some of their numbers.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links