CMP Garand

This is a discussion on CMP Garand within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am planning a trip to the north store in a few weeks. Anyone have any advice for when I am up there? I see ...

Thread: CMP Garand

CMP Garand

I am planning a trip to the north store in a few weeks. Anyone have any advice for when I am up there?

I see they have a few different grades. Which one seems to be the deal? I am looking for a shooter. It doesn't need to be pristine. Nor does everything need to match. I just hope for it to be reliable and accurate. I was thinking field or service grade.

Also, anything I should avoid? I don't know if there are any common problems I should be on the look out for.

At this point any advice would be helpful.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If the people are anything like the ones in Anniston, Al they will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Be sure to borrow one of their muzzle/chamber gauges and look for a rifle with a tight bore and chamber. I purchased three service grade rifles at Anniston; all are good shooters and have functioned flawlessly. Be sure to take a bib, as you will start drooling just from the available selection.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I actually went there this past June. Picked myself up a SP HRA, and for the price tag, you get what you pay for. The one I got had a new stock, and the barrel is in prefect shape. Miner dings here and there, but you cant really see them unless you look close and personal. If you want I could email you some pictures of the M1. Side note- very professional staff, just make sure you have all the requested forms and what not.

Over the years I have purchased over a dozen M1 rifles through CMP. I have never been to their stores, simply sent in my orders and taken my chances. I have not been disappointed with any of the "service grade" rifles I have received. Every one has been a "mix-master", primarily early 1950's rebuilds of WW2 rifles with new (or newer) barrels, mixed parts, etc. I've gotten everything from a pre-Pearl Harbor Springfield Armory, to a Winchester "Win 13", a couple of HRA's, and an International Harvester with original serial number obliterated and new serial number inscribed by "auto pencil". None have been all original parts, etc (those are set aside for auction, and some very serious bidding goes on when a new batch is offered). The best shooter, without a doubt, has been my Danish M1, a WW2 Springfield Armory completely rebuilt in Denmark with their superb barrel (20,000 M1's went to Denmark after WW2 on loan, which were completely overhauled before being placed into long-term storage, then returned to the US in the late 1990's). I haven't bothered with the "rack grade" rifles, but suspect that there will be some good deals there.

I have participated in several sanctioned Garand shoots, and every rifle I have taken out has done well. Now in my 60's, with less than perfect eyesight and some serious astigmatism, I can't really compete in the service rifle matches anymore.

About 5 years ago I took a van load of WW2 and Korea vets from my club out with half-a-dozen M1's, M1 Carbines, '03 Springfields, and a few M1911A-1's for an afternoon of burning powder and having a good time, followed by a few hours on the patio field-stripping and cleaning the pieces and drinking beer. Great day overall. Lots of laughs, and lots of stories. Having taken down 5 bowling pins in a row at 100 yards, off-hand, with a Remington 03-A3, I was generally acknowledged as the best shooter that day. One old Korea vet did 4 out of 5 using the M1, and a 80-something WW2 Navy man showed us what was what by popping 20 Coke cans in a row with a 1943 Remington Rand M1911A-1 at 25 yards.

Get what you can and have fun with them all. If you have a chance to share them with others you may enjoy them even more.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

I dawdled over the CMP site just a while ago to see if they had any M1 Carbines available (they didn't). I'd be curious about actually seeing one of those rack grade M1s. Their barrels sound as if little accuracy life would be left in them if they are as represented. I've ordered out several M1s and an 1903A4 over the years and all were found to be better than advertised upon receipt.

The field grade and service grade rifles sound like a more reliably better deal. Who knows though? You might find a reasonable rifle among the rack grade selection if you go to the store.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    One thing I noticed at the Anniston store is that they did have other rifles available. They had some 30-40 Krags and some ’03 Springfields, just too small a quantity to list on their website. If Camp Perry is the same way you may be able to pick up some other rifles and another bit of history.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Links