Countdown to AR launch...

This is a discussion on Countdown to AR launch... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I received my BCM mid length upper, just minutes ago I'm putting together my last order to complete my first AR. But, as luck would ...

Thread: Countdown to AR launch...

I received my BCM mid length upper, just minutes ago

I'm putting together my last order to complete my first AR. But, as luck would have it, every stinkin' store on the net has the DD A1.5 rear sight out of stock.

Of course, I'm being impatient. I wanted to get this order out tonight, so I could complete the assembly and be shooting over Labor Day weekend.

So, I figure that I got a few options.

I could hold out for the sight I want, could be a week (plus shipping time) or it could be a month.

I could get a Troy fixed rear, but it's kinda ugly. It looks like it'd stick out like a sore thumb.

I could spring for a BCM folding rear sight, but it's double the money that I want to spend.

Or, I could buy a Magpul folding rear.

I'm not completely sold on the Magpul. I can already see how it would play out: I buy the Magpul, and then I decide that it's kinda cheesy, so I buy one of the others and end up eating the money.

I'm a bit apprehensive about folding sights, too. I just want a solid, fixed sight that's not too big to do a 1/3 witness.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and how about magazines? Are they all pretty much the same? A quick search really didn't turn up anything...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I received my BCM mid length upper, just minutes ago

I'm putting together my last order to complete my first AR. But, as luck would have it, every stinkin' store on the net has the DD A1.5 rear sight out of stock.

Of course, I'm being impatient. I wanted to get this order out tonight, so I could complete the assembly and be shooting over Labor Day weekend.

So, I figure that I got a few options.

I could hold out for the sight I want, could be a week (plus shipping time) or it could be a month.

I could get a Troy fixed rear, but it's kinda ugly. It looks like it'd stick out like a sore thumb.

I could spring for a BCM folding rear sight, but it's double the money that I want to spend.

Or, I could buy a Magpul folding rear.

I'm not completely sold on the Magpul. I can already see how it would play out: I buy the Magpul, and then I decide that it's kinda cheesy, so I buy one of the others and end up eating the money.

I'm a bit apprehensive about folding sights, too. I just want a solid, fixed sight that's not too big to do a 1/3 witness.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and how about magazines? Are they all pretty much the same? A quick search really didn't turn up anything...
    So with sights, I use Troy Industries folding sights (HK style for front). They are built rock solid and work very well. With regards to mags, I love Magpul P-mags with ranger plates. I have have had Magpul sights on my M&P 15-22 and hated them. I found that the front post had to be unscrewed really high and I did not like the sight picture from the rear. YMMV
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have been wanting to build a AR or AK-47 from start to finish......

The AK seems cheaper and easier, but man their are so many options for a AR-15

Watch primary arms for the Troy folding rear. I picked mine up for 80 or so on a special that they had. I bought a magpul rear for the interim and ended up selling it at a $5 loss on backpage after I found the deal I wanted on the Troy. Substitute Troy folding for rear of your choice. Where in AZ are you? We could take the twin BCM middys out if you want and you can check out the folding Troy. It is built like a tank for a folding sight.

I'm similarly unimpressed with the Magpul sights (but I'm a fan of lots of their other stuff). I mounted a Yankee Hill flip rear sight on my first AR, and it's everything it needs to be. Folds down low, stays folded until you need it to be up, stays up until you need it to be down. Just an option to consider.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I was definitely unimpressed with the magpul. I bought it because it was cheap and would work for the short term and I knew I wouldn't lose a lot in reselling as some people will buy anything magpul.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Koontzy View Post

282039_223790417659918_100000868843766_649609_3719382_n.jpg

Theres more AK options than you think.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member

Follow in my footsteps and do both. I have just finished each in the last month. I honestly love both and would hate to choose. I would venture to say that there is far more to learn about AK variants then AR's if you ask me.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I like the Troy sight and I dont think it will be flimsy.

I also like the P-Mags. Great mag for the money. I also like the Tango Down mags and the HK metal mags.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Ok, thanks guys.

I went with the Troy folder, and mags by D&H

Thanks yankeeman, but I'm way up on the other side of the canyon, near Fredonia

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Follow in my footsteps and do both. I have just finished each in the last month. I honestly love both and would hate to choose. I would venture to say that there is far more to learn about AK variants then AR's if you ask me.
    I re-converted a Saiga AK, last year. The AR is this summer's project.

Honestly, I originally wanted an AR, but thought that they were too expensive. So, I ended up buying the Saiga, and a bolt-action .223. Ok, I bought some other guns, too, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, I ended up spending more than I originally wanted to spend on an AR, so... Here we are with both!

It'll be a couple of weeks, then I'll get pics of the finished AR, and I'll put the AK alongside.

Troy and MI are about the toughest folding rear sights out their, but at $100 or so for ea. there about the most expensive.

Can't go wrong with P-Mags.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Links