Best Value .308 Rifle

This is a discussion on Best Value .308 Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Savage bolt action in .308 I actually just got home front shooting it. Last time I was out, it was shooting HORRIBLE. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Best Value .308 Rifle

RKM
    I have a Savage bolt action in .308 I actually just got home front shooting it. Last time I was out, it was shooting HORRIBLE. I was blaming myself, but had second thoughts about the gun. I was using CHEAP ammo in it. I decided to try good match grade ammo.... Me being a very average rifle shooter (or shooter in general), I made a nice 2" group at 100 yards. It can do better with somebody else shooting I"m sure.

As far a semi-auto .308 I want an M1-A. I've never shot one, and I had planned on getting some sort of AR-10 variant as a semi-auto .308, but I've really been diggin' the M1-A lately. I can't wait until I can afford it! I was thinking about getting an M1 Garand, and mainly just because it shoots .30-06, but I can't get over the M1-A's capacity/box magazine. Plus, it looks better. The only cool think the M1 has over the M1-A, is I think it's kinda cool how it ejects the clip and you hear that infamous sound.

2. Remove Ads

Remigton 600 is a good all round rifle for a bolt action.
    Cetme is a decent autoloader. If you dont mind spending the cash... The M1A is IMO the top of the food chain.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Not trying to get off topic or anything like that but I remember growing up believing that Savages are real cheap guns and it seemed like some people snarled their noses up at them. This isn't the only place, however, where I have heard a lot of good things said about Savage rifles. Nutnfancy has given them very good reviews and when he did a booth review for them, they were talking about the confidence that they have in the accuracy of their guns. They talked like that their guns are about as accurate as any gun on the market and they can prove this from how their guns fare in competitions, etc.

Has Savage upped their game recently or did they just have a poor reputation that wasn't warranted?

You cannot beat Thompson Center's .308 bolt action for value, especially if you get with weathershield...It's gaurenteed MOA, I found it to have a much smoother bolt than the Savage and it's CRAZY accurate out of the box...toss a decent optic on it and you'll be good to go for MANY, MANY years!
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    ...I think it's kinda cool how it ejects the clip and you hear that infamous sound.
    That's so the bad guys know you're out of ammo and need to reload.

Best *value*? Used CETME. $350-450, YMMV:)
    I think I should be able to claim my guns as dependents on my taxes. I have to clothe them, feed them, clean them when they get dirty, keep them safe from bad people...

like the remington family of autoloaders...30-06 or 308.. a 7400 can be had online used at 450-550 with mid grade scope...10 round clips available...4 rd standard..light/ accurite for the first couple or 4 ..then things heat up to a "mad minute" pie plate 8" at 200yr...beauty is it is not an assault wep...sporty...ballistic advantage with class....just sayn

Actually, I'm going to suggest one of the Remington pump rifles (760/7600iirc?).

The one's I've shot have been fairly accurate (until the barrel heated up, that is...) and I do believe that you can get higher--like, ten round--cpacity magazines for them. And they are also usually rather cheap.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I've never heard anything negative about Savage bolt action rifles.

In fact, I've heard that they're among the best for out of the box accuracy.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

OP - Define "long range defense?" How far can you see in your area? If the BG is a long way off, can you legally justify self defense? Heck, if he is a long way off, how do you even know he is a bad guy?

Just some things to consider.

I did a Google maps aerial view look up of my address, and saw that the farthest I can see is 150 yards. I have a 5.56 Mini 14, but did want something in a .30 cal rifle, for launching heavier bullets for better barrier penetration - light/medium vegetation and cars. The best value, to me, was a .30-30 lever gun...gun, scope, and sling for less than $500 brand new. I added an inexpensive elastic butt cuff for another 10 rounds on the gun, and done.

No, it's not a .308, but it will do what needs to be done at any realistic range that I can see and justify self defense.

Plus, it's not an eeeevil assault rifle - which can matter in some cases.

JMHO, YMMV.
    Doghandler likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    So let me buck the bolt rifle trend and recommend a Saiga .308 as they are a great price and are very reliable. I like the standard barrel but they also have a long barrel configuration. I think I may pick one up myself.

Saiga 308
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    So let me buck the bolt rifle trend and recommend a Saiga .308 as they are a great price and are very reliable. I like the standard barrel but they also have a long barrel configuration. I think I may pick one up myself.

Saiga 308
    Will have to disagree on that.

I had one, and it was a dog (actually, that's an insult to dogs ). Very inaccurate, and unreliable - had trigger reset and stove pipe jam issues. Yes, you read that right - an AK-pattern rifle that was unreliable.

Maybe they're better now, or maybe mine was a lemon. In any case, I'm passing on anything Saiga.

Oh, did I mention I found dead bugs in the grease it came with? Ugh.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Will have to disagree on that.

I had one, and it was a dog (actually, that's an insult to dogs ). Very inaccurate, and unreliable - had trigger reset and stove pipe jam issues. Yes, you read that right - an AK-pattern rifle that was unreliable.

Maybe they're better now, or maybe mine was a lemon. In any case, I'm passing on anything Saiga.

Oh, did I mention I found dead bugs in the grease it came with? Ugh.
    That goes against everything I have experienced in the last 10 years with Saiga firearms. IZHMASH has been building rifles forever, they are not Tauras and are going to get better once they learn. LOL..... Mikhail Kalashnikov is said to still work at the factory for cry eye.

This rifle is not a tac driver, but it's decent low cost and will sling lead reliably all day long. Sorry for your bad luck, it's like buying a Honda Civic and not getting a reliable one.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?...bility-of-308/
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

rem 260

it will kill anything a 308 will and will out range 300win mag with the recoil of a 243...

cant get better then that...

http://demigodllc.com/articles/the-c...260-remington/

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    rem 260

it will kill anything a 308 will and will out range 300win mag with the recoil of a 243...

cant get better then that...

The Case for .260 Remington: A Better Cartridge For Practical Long-Range Shooting
    Except the ammo can be a bit hard to find, and is rather expensive when you do find it.

And there's no cheap surplus .260 ammo out there, unlike .308/7.62x51.

So...it can kinda get better than that.

(fwiw, I do think .260 is a good round--I love 6.5mm rounds--but not for what the OP is looking for)
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links