Best Value .308 Rifle

This is a discussion on Best Value .308 Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn OP - Define "long range defense?" How far can you see in your area? If the BG is a long way ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Best Value .308 Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - Define "long range defense?" How far can you see in your area? If the BG is a long way off, can you legally justify self defense? Heck, if he is a long way off, how do you even know he is a bad guy?
    I appreciate you mentioning this.

Honestly, I can't see using a .308 for defense for the very reasons you cited and my AR15 should adequately meet any of my range requirements.

That being said, for hunting purposes, I don't think I can ethically use a 5.56 for game. But in a SHTF situation, I know I'll be using anything available, even a .22LR.

So far my research has brought me to various places including these lists:

50 Best Hunting Rifles of the Past 10 Years | Outdoor Life

Best Bolt-Action Deer/Big Game Hunting Rifles - Top Guns - Top Bolt-Action Deer/Big Game Hunting Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Except the ammo can be a bit hard to find, and is rather expensive when you do find it.
    And there's no cheap surplus .260 ammo out there, unlike .308/7.62x51 ...(fwiw, I do think .260 is a good round--I love 6.5mm rounds--but not for what the OP is looking for)
    ^ is the reason I've decided to go with the .308 round. I really appreciated the feedback on the other rounds for hunting purposes.

So far, my research has found the following:

Weatherby Vanguard for about $383. The IDEAL Weatherby Vanguard would be the sub-moa SS version, but the cost is over double the standard version. I have to think about this. I believe Howa makes the Ventures for Weatherby.

T/C Venture for $469 and it comes with a $50 MIR so about $419. I like it, but I would want the Weatherguard version and I can't seem to find that anywhere and I don't know how much of a price increase that would be.

Savage Model 10 looks great as well. Which model is the tough part.

Remington 700 SPS also looks great.

I just have to compare the best features/models in each class and compare them.

Ugh ... this sucks ... in a good way.

Pro/Cons re: the Scout versions? I'm not sold on them. I think they try to do too much and not give me the best use of the .308 cartridge. I know Ruger, Steyr and Savage have Scouts and I'd probably go with the Savage version if I went this route.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    That's so the bad guys know you're out of ammo and need to reload.
    That's why you carry an empty clip and toss it on a rock before they were out! ;)

I haven't done my homework yet, but these look awesome Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle Models
    Justified likes this.

I'd say a Savage Model 10 and toss in a timney trigger for a bolt. And if you want a semi-auto I'd look at Cetmes if you can make fixes on your own, or a PTR91 if not. the PTR has been my go to rifle ever since I've owned it reliable and more than acceptable accuracy.

Are you a reloader? I ask that because with a semi-auto you will be hunting down your brass constantly. They are also typically harder on brass. My M1A super match is a sweet shooter but I no longer enjoy the idea of wondering where my brass ends up when at the range or when in the field.

Michael

I'm not a reloader ... yet. But I am saving all my brass. The bolt action appeals to me in that regard as well.

@Jeam - that is a great suggestion, but doesn't the Accutrigger feature of the Savages help minimize a 3rd party trigger? I have not tried either so I'm speaking from what I've read.

Right now ... the forerunner is the Ruger Gunsite Scout for me. I did take a look at the video and not knowing how I want to use this other than deer hunting, I think the the Ruger Gunsite Scout gives me great options. I've hunted on public land and it's a lot of walking so the shorter barrel with a ching-sling is what I'm thinking at the moment.

Years ago I bought a Savage 110FP in .308 for $300. This is a pre accutrigger model. I spent another $20 or so on a Brownells glass bedding kit. With a little TLC (free floated the barrel) and a $100 Tasco scope I have a rifle that will shoot insanely small groups all day. The only fault I can find with the rifle is it does not have a removeable magazine.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by WonderBra View Post
    @Jeam - that is a great suggestion, but doesn't the Accutrigger feature of the Savages help minimize a 3rd party trigger? I have not tried either so I'm speaking from what I've read.
    You can get an older model Savage for around 200-300 and toss in a Timney for another 100, and you are looking at 600-800 or so for an accutrigger. I prefer the Timney too myself Your mileage may vary though. I suggest the Savage over other bolts because I have found them to have one of the best barrels in the industry for the price.

Regards

I ended up getting the Tikka T3 SS.

950 jdj.jpg

How bout this one?

I was pleasantly surprised to find so much great feedback on the 5.56 request Some of you made great points in the other thread and I've NOT discounted the AK platform or the Mini-14/30s, but looking more eagerly at them because of your suggestions. I bought the Colt 6920 based on the feedback here and I am super happy that I did.

This time, I was hoping to ask for feedback on .308 rifles. I see practical use for it in both hunting and long range defense.
    From the research I've been able to do, the .308 seems to be the most practical. It's not the best for super long range (.338 Lapua) or big game (.30-06), but it seems to be the right combo of price, weight, accuracy and distance.

I've looked at both bolt action and semis and I'm probably more partial to the bolts for the "value."

Your feedback is really appreciate.
    Best value these days might not get the quality of yesterday. I've loved the .308win since my days in the USMC. To this day, I tend to think of it as an all around performer on bipeds to 800yd and game to 500yd. Bolt action is best IMO, and it's definitely better when you reload for it. Many things make the .308win a best choice. Too many for me to mention here without going full page. Ballistics are easy to learn and remember. Pick a Savage or Remington. My opinion...get a heavy barrel and be happy with the weight carrying it into the deer woods. If you want to hunt, or if you want long range, the pros and cons will balance out. Remington's current offerings in my opinion have gone cheap just like many other manufacturers trying to compete in a poor economy. It's actually what we've done to ourselves, and sad in a way. To answer your question, the best value .308 today in my opinion would be a used one in good shape when they made them better than they do today. Whatever your total budget is for the rifle, save some for reloading equipment and components. Then...a good scope. The .308win can do varmint duty, large game, and long range work. I've done 110gr-175gr in my only .308 rifle and very effectively.
    The "big game" guys always seem to have that 30-06, but most of their takes are from 50-100yds. Long range game hunting is another story in itself and that would also get us into discussions of other calibers that would lead to many other discussions. The .308 is practical for general purpose and spans more situations than most cartridges ounce for ounce. Sort of like the best performing engine HP per in³.

Man those have sweet triggers. I looked at the T3 very seriously when I bought my last hunting rifle. I REALLY liked the trigger.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I believe you'll be very happy with it.
    I bought a Sako A-7 last year...no regrets. They're almost the same rifle.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I believe you'll be very happy with it.
    I bought a Sako A-7 last year...no regrets. They're almost the same rifle.
    I certainly agree.

There were several factors that made me choose the Tikka.

1. Accurate: Guaranteed 3MOA at 100 yards
    2. The stainless steel free floating barrel is very well made/manufactured by Sako
    3. Removable Mag
    4. Light (6.5 lbs). Important since I'm adding a scope and bipod and trekking around deer country sucks with a lot of weight.
    5. Gun is made to take abuse outdoors.
    6. Adjustable trigger (the trigger is sweet. No takeup/slack)
    7. And Cabelas had a deal at $50 off this weekend.

Ill take my Saiga .308 any day.

20 rounds with lots of extra mags.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links