Best Value .308 Rifle

This is a discussion on Best Value .308 Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Question for those of you recommending Savage... I just got my Cabela's flyer and they have Savage Axis bolt action rifles in everything from .223 ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Best Value .308 Rifle

Question for those of you recommending Savage... I just got my Cabela's flyer and they have Savage Axis bolt action rifles in everything from .223 to .30-06 on sale for $349. Any idea on the accuracy and reliability on these and why do they seem so much cheaper than anything else new out there?
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

2. Remove Ads

@ BigFish. The Axis doesn't come with the Accutrigger which is one of the features that helped Savage reach the place they are now.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    Question for those of you recommending Savage... I just got my Cabela's flyer and they have Savage Axis bolt action rifles in everything from .223 to .30-06 on sale for $349. Any idea on the accuracy and reliability on these and why do they seem so much cheaper than anything else new out there?
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderBra View Post
    @ BigFish. The Axis doesn't come with the Accutrigger which is one of the features that helped Savage reach the place they are now.
    They should be every bit as accurate as other savage models, you simply don't get the Accutrigger.

none

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    You cannot beat Thompson Center's .308 bolt action for value, especially if you get with weathershield...It's gaurenteed MOA, I found it to have a much smoother bolt than the Savage and it's CRAZY accurate out of the box...toss a decent optic on it and you'll be good to go for MANY, MANY years!
    i agree how com their is not much talk about this rifle from my experience its the best out of the box ive had savages, the new remingtons. and the only one that has came close is the tikka

you wont get a recomendation for savage from me but then again u get what u pay for

I have a savage 110 in 270 caliber and it is a flat shooting accurate rifle. Savage will do you for a lifetime. Trick is get a good scope.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by durganman201 View Post
    you wont get a recomendation for savage from me but then again u get what u pay for
    Do you own one? A lot of competition shooters are swittching from the 700 to savage. I have a savage 10FP w/McMillan stock and it is better than my 700. (.308).

I know the original post was for the best value. But to me I wanted something I could hit a nat out to 1000 yds. (Just kidding about the nat. ;) One of the best bolt action rifles come from GA Precision. Mine is a .308 Remington with the action, bolt, head space all trued up. Snider heavy barrel with crown. It's bedded in a McMillan stock, Night Force scope. NO...........it's not used for defense, but for precision shooting competition. I don't hunt any more because animals can't shoot back, so it's not fair. oh by th way, that's me taking a nap.

For $600 bucks a Remington 700 SPS Tactical 308 with a 20" bull barrel is hard to beat..

Quote Originally Posted by rambosky View Post
    I know the original post was for the best value. But to me I wanted something I could hit a nat out to 1000 yds. (Just kidding about the nat. ;) One of the best bolt action rifles come from GA Precision. Mine is a .308 Remington with the action, bolt, head space all trued up. Snider heavy barrel with crown. It's bedded in a McMillan stock, Night Force scope. NO...........it's not used for defense, but for precision shooting competition. I don't hunt any more because animals can't shoot back, so it's not fair. oh by th way, that's me taking a nap.

Rambosky that's a real NICE setup..
    rambosky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan45acp View Post
    Rambosky that's a real NICE setup..
    Than you very much.

Yeah, that's a nice bolt gun. I have a 700 and a Barrett 98b. The 700 is a 308 that's just waiting to be tuned up, but I never really get around to it. One of these days... Or I'll just buy an AI.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    Ill take my Saiga .308 any day.

20 rounds with lots of extra mags.
    I have to agree I could really get into a saiga in .308. However I have to think that since the OP was looking for something cabable of accuracy at long ranges I don't know if the AK platform in going to match some of the bolt action rifles out there in .308.

Lanner, how accurate is your saiga?

Also I was wondering, would there be any advantage to doing a true AK conversion to a sagia in .308? If your main use is long range shooting, I would think the standard non-AK stock and no pistol grip might actually be better for accuracy.

Someday when I win the lottery I may buy a saiga in .308.

Thompson Ctr Arms makes one of the finest bolt action in any caliber you could ever hope to have..I own the Thompson Encore in .308 win....

this thing is just awesome to shoot.....no kidding....I've fired it quite a few times since I got it and as a pistol with a 15" barrel...it's awesomely fun to shoot!!!....

VENTURE™ - Thompson/Center

Steve

Well, since this ol' thread has been resurrected, I'll mention that I just ordered an FNAR. All the reviews I've seen on it were great, and I've handled them several times in stores. Didn't really need it, but I've wanted one for a long time. Should be here by sometime next week, and I'm excited!

Regards,
    Jim

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links