Best Value .308 Rifle

This is a discussion on Best Value .308 Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was pleasantly surprised to find so much great feedback on the 5.56 request Some of you made great points in the other thread and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Best Value .308 Rifle

Best Value .308 Rifle

I was pleasantly surprised to find so much great feedback on the 5.56 request Some of you made great points in the other thread and I've NOT discounted the AK platform or the Mini-14/30s, but looking more eagerly at them because of your suggestions. I bought the Colt 6920 based on the feedback here and I am super happy that I did.

This time, I was hoping to ask for feedback on .308 rifles. I see practical use for it in both hunting and long range defense.
    From the research I've been able to do, the .308 seems to be the most practical. It's not the best for super long range (.338 Lapua) or big game (.30-06), but it seems to be the right combo of price, weight, accuracy and distance.

I've looked at both bolt action and semis and I'm probably more partial to the bolts for the "value."

Your feedback is really appreciate.
    Last edited by WonderBra; August 26th, 2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: clarity
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

2. Remove Ads

I've got a mini 30 ranch I've taken deer with at 200 yards,I also have a Eagle Arms(Armalite)AR10,the mini 30 is shorter lighter and better suited for closeup work if you can find 20 or 30 round mags,the AR10 is heavier but more accurate for longer ranges,downside is 20 round mags are around $40.00 a pop.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The .308 is a very capable big game gun. It is quite similar to the ole '06 actually.

Value is very subjective. I would suggest a Stevens 200 bolt action. They can be had for under $400. They aren't pretty; a budget gun for sure. But they do have a reputable Savage action.

Quite often box stores have the Remington 700 for good deals. An excellent rifle that probably can be had for less than $500.

I have a Stevens 200 in .223, and I've been pleased with it. It shoots better than me, and I have no doubts that the .308 wouldn't perform similarly.

You mentioned the AK and mini-30; you do realize that these aren't .308? Although a Saiga AK can be had in .308
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Lately I've been Eye Balling the Weatherby Vanguard in 308. At Academy sports here in El Paso they are Under 400. Weatherby makes good guns, streight shooters with a reliable action only down side is that there is no iron sites, only pre taped for scope mounts. Keep in mind, that unlelss your a crack shot sniper, a 1 moa rifle will do just fine.

If you are looking for a bolt action in .308 I read a review on the Mossberg 100 ATR below:

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05...sberg-100-atr/

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    You mentioned the AK and mini-30; you do realize that these aren't .308? Although a Saiga AK can be had in .308
    Hello,

Yes. I was only retroactively thanking those people that mentioned them in the other thread. Let me edit to clarify. Thanks!

My research brings up Stevens a lot and valuewise, they seem high up there.
    I've seen Thompson/Center Venture in .308 for about $460 with a $50 mail in coupon. I've owned and hunted with a T/C Omega Muzzeloader, so my impressions with T/C's reputation and accuracy is high up there for me. I just don't know how their .308 rifles fare.

The Weatherby Vanguards are consistently on the Top .308 gun lists I've found.

My friend picked up a Tikka T3 and I've heard great things about them as well and it shoots great.

Savage Arms seems to have great .308s as well.

This is really a question of picking from the best. I know I will do well from any of these, but the quality of .308 rifles out there is amazing.
    Last edited by WonderBra; August 26th, 2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: clarity and spelling
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Honestly, I think that just about any rifle, from reputable manufacturer will do. Some quality glass is necessary to wring out the best potential.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I think the Savage bolts are some of the best for the money period.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I default to the Remington 700 for a bolt gun. I'll be updating mine some time this year. For semi autos, I'm really starting to appreciate my SCAR. I'd take a good look at the 700 and make changes as you see fit.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I've heard the HOWA rifles are suppose to be fairly inexpensive good guns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    just to add some spice to the discussion--Browning makes a .308 (and other calibers) in the famous BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle). Brownings are really nice-not cheap-but really nice.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I picked up a Sako A-7 on sale last summer at Bass Pro for $569 mine is in 25.06 but man, it is a tack driver. At 100 yds every hole touchs another.
    I don't know if you're in the market for a bolt action, but if it's on your list you may want to check one out. Just my $.02

Sako A7 Review | Big Game Hunt
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Benelli R1 can be had for under $900.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic30 View Post
    Lately I've been Eye Balling the Weatherby Vanguard in 308. At Academy sports here in El Paso they are Under 400. Weatherby makes good guns, streight shooters with a reliable action only down side is that there is no iron sites, only pre taped for scope mounts. Keep in mind, that unlelss your a crack shot sniper, a 1 moa rifle will do just fine.
    I've got one of these in 30.06. I absolutely love it and spent less than $500 on the rifle itself...as mentioned, one does need to buy a scope for this rifle though. Excellent rifle in this price range.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

As a hunter, I am partial to 7mm magnum. Pretty much can take down any kind of game that you might be hunting.
    I have a .308, .243,.30-06,.35,.30-30, and even a 7mm-08. No need to adjust for yardage, windedge ect no guessing involved. Sighted mine in at 200yrds. Just put crosshairs on target and pull the trigger and bullet hits where you want it to dose not drop. I have made shots on the power lines where I hunt out to 400-500 yards no problem. Use A Remington 700 BDLCD Trigger is 2 3/4lbs, barrel galssed and bedded With a Leopold Vari X 3- 3x9x50.Use regular Remington Core-Lock 175gr bullets.

TC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links