Mid Length AR-15, by Bravo Company

This is a discussion on Mid Length AR-15, by Bravo Company within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A big thanks to jonconsiglio for helping me do research. Jumping into the AR world is almost like jumping into a computer nerd world; full ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Mid Length AR-15, by Bravo Company

A big thanks to jonconsiglio for helping me do research. Jumping into the AR world is almost like jumping into a computer nerd world; full of binary language and mysterious acronyms.

I did a ton of reading here and at M4C, which helped immensely.

I just put the finishing touches on it an hour ago, and I hope you all will forgive the phone pics; one of these days I'll get a real camera.

A spec list:

Bravo Company blemished lower
    Bravo Company 16" mid length upper
    Bravo Company M-16 BCG
    Bravo Company charging handle, Mod 4

Magpul MOE stock
    Magpul MOE mid length handguard

Troy folding rear sight

4- 30 round D&H magazines, with Magpul follower.

I did it all for under $1150, my original budget being $1200. Originally, I was going to go with a Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear sight, but none were in stock when I was ready to buy.

The only thing that is left is a sling, and I will order one this weekend. I want to run a carbine course with irons only, and perhaps get an Aimpoint next year.

I know what I'm doing this weekend zombies beware!
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Very nice and congrats

Congrats on the BCM, Jons' posts helped steer me there as well. I know you'll love it.

Very nice!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Very nice...Jon knows his stuff. I think if i were going to build one it would be very similar to yours. I am liking the BCM stuff more I read about them.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I am Lovin your AR! I too have been researching the crude out of these and know just enough to be dangerous, but I am learning, and have learned alot over the past month or so. I hope to build one very similiar to yours. Congrats! Looks Great!
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Sponsor
    That's a fine looking stick! Go shoot the bejeezes out of it!
    Keep your eye on the Aimpoint PRO set up. It seems to be the best bang for the buck in top end RDS right now. I found a great deal on a CompM3 combo package but it really is overkill for a civilian carbine. I will never have any need for the night vision settings or the kill flash covers. It's very "Tacticool" though!

I would add that a .22lr conversion BCG might be good investment. The POI is significantly different even at short range, but it does make trigger time very affordable. I have Brownell's kit and the savings in ammo cost has paid for it twice over.
    Last edited by luvmy40; September 1st, 2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typo
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Administrator
    That looks like a great rifle.
    jonconsiglio has been a great help to me in my build too, I'm not sure if he realizes it or not. I guess he does now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Paul Bravo is a great guy to know too. He doesn't pull any punches with his products and they are probably some of the best uppers manufactured for the civillian market.

I'll take a BCM upper, of any kind, with any of his barrels any day over most of the larger name manufacturers.

With the exception of maybe LMT or LWRC, but those are different animals. The BCM Gunfighter chargers are a must in my book. If you don't have one, you dont have the right charger for your AR15 rifle.

Stay away from the Badger latches or others that claim to be the best. They simply are not, compared to the BCM Gunfighter chargers.

YMMV
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Very nice rifle. I look forward to a range report soon…

I didn't realize anyone paid attention to my opinions, that's cool to hear! I'm always glad to offer any advice I can when it comes to these types of firearms.

Oh, it's Paul Buffoni that owns BCM, but that's a common mix up we hear all the time!

ETA - Paul Bravo was an American soccer player according to Wiki.

I agree the BCM charging handles are a great addition. I have the mod 4 on all my uppers but I'm thinking of giving the mod 5 (smallest one) a try soon. When not wearing kit and having the rifle slung for a while, it can really dig. This surely has to do with sling placement as well. I have the front connected near the barrel nut and the rear connect on the outside of my stock (right side when shouldered) and this pulls the rear in a bit tighter and the muzzle farther away. It also stops you from being choked when switching shoulders.

BCM is one of my top choices for an AR. My buddy brought his 16" middy hunting last month and I really enjoyed the gun and it's accuracy rivaled or bettered my SR15.

Excuse the shirt, mine got filthy and had to borrow a friend's… who has a few pounds on me!

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    NICE...very nice. We'll be waiting to hear a range report. Enjoy.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

GM
    That was a very sweet AR! Congratulations
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Out of curiosity, what made you go with the MOE hand guard instead of a railed hand guard? I'm hopefully going to finish a Kino soon (12.5" with a low pro gas block and carbine gas system but also has a front sight block mounted at the mid length position) since I gave up on my 14.5". I was originally going to use one of the MOE hand guards but decided to go with Centurion's new mid length cutout rail. That rail is really nice and feels great on a mid length with a FSB. It's also easily attached by the end user since it attaches around the barrel nut.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

sgb
    Very nice choices, Bravo Co. & Magpul are 1st rate.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I went with the MOE because I don't know what I want, yet.

This way I can add, subtract, or move rails as I learn what works, and what doesn't, for me.

I have a tri-rail on my AK, which I don't like, so I'm trying something a bit different.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links