Question about Stoger shotguns.

This is a discussion on Question about Stoger shotguns. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm considering a Stoger coach gun. Some have a single trigger and some have two. I don't see an exposed hammer so may I assume ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: Question about Stoger shotguns.

Question about Stoger shotguns.

I'm considering a Stoger coach gun.
    Some have a single trigger and some have two.
    I don't see an exposed hammer so may I assume both are D/A?
    I understand (I hope) that the single trigger requires a shot, reset and second shot.
    Can you select which barrel fires first?
    With the double trigger is it front first, then rear? Same force required?

They also make a Condor version, which is over under.

Which is preferred?

2. Remove Ads

My personal preference would be (is) for a pump....larger capacity magazine, can be stored chamber-empty until needed then quickly cocked (everyone knows the sound of a pump being racked) that's at least a +1 on the intimidation factor. I don't know that you're getting any more mobility with a "coach gun" than a defensive pump or auto shotgun. The only thing that I really see going for the double-barrel is it's cool looking.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I will do my best to answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I'm considering a Stoger coach gun.
    Some have a single trigger and some have two.
    I don't see an exposed hammer so may I assume both are D/A? They are single action, as you break the gun open to load it, it cocks the internal hammers.

I understand (I hope) that the single trigger requires a shot, reset and second shot. Correct.

Can you select which barrel fires first? Not on the Stoeger guns, some of the more "pricey" double guns, both SxS and over/under have a "single selective trigger"

With the double trigger is it front first, then rear? Same force required? Generally the front trigger is the right barrel and the rear is left. It can be an advantage if the barrels are choked differently. The Stoeger Coach guns are "cylinder bore" both barrels. The weight of pull should be the same for both triggers.

They also make a Condor version, which is over under.

Which is preferred? Just a matter of personal preference. Most of the time you would see a "defense" gun in a SxS and over/under more for hunting, or trap/skeet use...but itreally boils down to which you prefer.
    Hope this is some help.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    My personal preference would be (is) for a pump....
    I already have two of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I will do my best to answer your questions.
    Hope this is some help.
    It is. Knowledge is always a good thing

My preference is for the dual triggers, which I have on mine.

Proper technique would be to to use one finger, and pull the forward barrel, and then transition to the rear. IIRC, the front trigger is slightly to the left, and pulls the left barrel, the rear trigger is the opposite. Neither trigger has a very heavy trigger pull, hammers are internal, and as KSholder said, cocked when the weapon is loaded.

But, having the option of dumping both barrels at once is nice. A pump action is good to have, but for some applications, a side by side is better, as long as you have a handgun backing it up. Two barrels of 00 can get your point across rather well.

I haven't handled a single trigger model, but would imagine that it has a selector, akin to those found on over/unders, to select which barrel fires first, and probably is integrated into the tang mounted safety.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Mine is a "single trigger" , there is NO selector. First pull shoots the left barrel , next pull is the right barrel, and one hard pull fires them both off.

I like the single trigger model quite a bit. It does open and close hard until it's well broken in, or you have it 'worked'. What I'm referring to there is, they polish it up some inside and disengage the automatic safety. Some locations you can't legally modify a safety.

Stock, it's set up so that when you open and close it... the safety engages automatically ... although I would never "assume" that. Or as I said, it can be reworked where you manually have to engage the safety, but the gun will open and close much easier.

Ironically, I just looked at their site. They used to have hammer verisons for cowboy shooting. Guess they stopped producing them, that's a shame. You could buy one at a gun show I'm sure, if you wanted one.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I also like Double barrel shotguns. So much that I own three. One being dedicated to home defense.

IMO the best advantage of the double is simplicity. Anyone can learn to use one with ease. Much less going on to confuse a shooter in a stressful situation. Second is safety. A properly functioning double will automatically engage the safety every time it's opened and closed. Doubles can be had in .12, 16, or 20, or .410 guage.

Having been trained to use a shotgun in a threat situation I must highly recomend some formal training at a reputable institution. Shotguns can be very very dangerous when used in a closed environment such as a home or apartment. While shotguns may not be a precision weapon.... They are NOT the devistating wide area destroyer that modern TV presents. (unless of course you add a duckbill). I use the Stevens/Savage 311 Thats the model I would recomend. For the same reasons I chose it. It's been around for a long time, and it's tried and true. However I can find nothing to complain about with the Stoeger... Good gun.

Spuk!

One correction to some info above: Single trigger Stoegers have IC and Mod fixed chokes. The Supreme models have screw in choke tubes.

I have one for CAS and have also used it to shoot trap (that got some looks ). I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a defensive role. Granted it is not one of the "high quality" or typical HD shotguns in the 21st century. Most people will steer you towards a pump action (870, 500, or similar) for HD.

A coach gun breaks down nice and small, and would make a good traveling companion.

With some extra ammo on the butt in one of those elastic butt cuffs, it should be more than enough for most social situations.

One caution though - I'm not sure that leaving one loaded and cocked, with the safety engaged, is truly "safe" - as I don't think they are drop safe. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that. That's the only thing that has kept me from getting one for my wife to use. External hammers would fix that, but then you have to manually cock them, which defeats the simplicity of the design.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Ahhhhh! 10thMntn...

The double does break down, and re-assemble quick, and it does make a small package. FWIW the Savage /stevens is drop safe provided it's in good working order. The safety operates off of a hefty spring and ball/detent. Silimar to that of a mossy, or other popular shotgun with the safety release atop the reciever.

There are a lot of knock off doubles out there that may look like the stoeger, or the stevens... but of poor quality, and questionable safety. You have to be careful what you choose. Most are made for cowboy shooting and such. I got my last Stevens at a LGS for less than $300.

During my time with the police the Savage 311 with bairly legal barrels were in our arsonal for use in dynamic entries, and plain clothes work. I actually trained and used one in the field. Maybe that explains my attraction to them.

Spuk!

VIP Member
    The Stoeger Coach Gun with double triggers has the front trigger on the right side and it fires the right barrel. I prefer the double triggers because you can fire both barrels at once. If you practice a little bit you can learn to fire the gun with fingers on both triggers and fire either barrel or both at once...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Nothin' says lovin' like 18 .357 projectiles comin' at ya, all at once

I don't know if a sub-gun can even do that
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I don't think they are drop safe.
    Interesting. Since there no exposed hammers, how would it fire?
    Let's say I dropped it with the barrel facing up, the firing pins would not move forward.
    If I dropped it with the barrel facing down, I guess I could have a hole in the floor.
    Just don't drop it on my foot. That would be my luck!

Links