Hunting with a 5.56

This is a discussion on Hunting with a 5.56 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Exactly my point! It was new it was in black rifle and it had plastic parts. And it was NOT traditional! You yourself stated you've ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Hunting with a 5.56

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Exactly my point! It was new it was in black rifle and it had plastic parts. And it was NOT traditional!

You yourself stated you've seen it work than why would you tell somebody it's inadequate?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

It's like anything else. You just gotta know your limitations.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Zacii,

Lol and who sets these limitations? Guys on an Internet forum? I think i would tend to lean more to the the ammo manufactures who have been making ammo for a long time. I.e. Federal makes a 223 round for medium skinned animals such as deer. What bout pro hunters who go on national tv and state 223 is an effective deer round.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

I meant more like personal limitations, based on first hand experience. Or personal limitations based on your definitions of ethics.

Ultimately, it only matters what the law, and conscience dictate.

The .223 for deer debate is quite similar to the .17 HMR for coyote debate.

It's really a subjective thing. Some guys can make it work, some guys don't want to risk it not working.

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Zacii,

I'll agree with that. Sorry for the misunderstanding. On a different note, I get a little upset when there are opinions that are given that may discourage somebody from hunting simple because " I don't think it's good enough". What if the op was somebody who is recoil sensitive or may a female that may be more comfortable with a light recoiling AR? Some may come across this and say well I guess I can't hunt because 223 is a varmint round not a deer round. I hope most of us would like to attract people to hunting vs discourage them. While 223 is banned in some states obviously the op live-in a state where it's legal. And just like he asked in the original post I would rather offer helpful advice vs stating "it's a Varmint round".

Every deer I have ever shot has only taken one round with my .223. I have no concern when I take it out deer hunting usually use 55 grain soft points for deer and the ballistic tip 55 grain for coyotes.

The group I went with last year over half of us were shooting .223s

Senior Moderator
    The .223 is a varmint round. Wishing it to be something other than it is does not make it so.

Also these "smarter" game management people is almost laughable
    As for the states that have banned it, obviously their people arent as smart as you are. My apologies for wasting your time. Obviously you know what is best.
    QKShooter likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    .223 and as far as I know 5.56 is legal in GA. I know .223 is for sure but since they are two completely different rounds I am not sure of the exact language in the law.

.223 was meant for coyote and below, as hot guns stated "varmint round".

The 5.56 on the other hand is a human round. If I were going to hunt deer with one or the other I would choose the 5.56 as it would seem more humane.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The .223 is a varmint round. Wishing it to be something other than it is does not make it so.

As for the states that have banned it, obviously their people arent as smart you. Obviously you know what is best.
    I have shown you that people use it as an effective deer round. Other people on this forum are using it as a deer round. To simple say " varmint" round shows a very stubborn way of thinking. You have shown no evidence to back this up besides the typical " banned in states" by people who smarter than me. But I guess you know more about ammunition than companies like federal, or the bullet makers at Sierra and hornady. Well than why are states unbanning it? Why in some of the biggest deer harvesting states in the country is it a widely used caliber ( pa, ny, tx, ga). Why do many police departments/agencies use it cull deer herds.

OD*
    Thank God deer can't read.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I have shown you that people use it as an effective deer round. Other people on this forum are using it as a deer round. To simple say " varmint" round shows a very stubborn way of thinking. You have shown no evidence to back this up besides the typical " banned in states" by people who smarter than me. But I guess you know more about ammunition than companies like federal, or the bullet makers at Sierra and hornady. Well than why are states unbanning it? Why in some of the biggest deer harvesting states in the country is it a widely used caliber ( pa, ny, tx, ga). Why do many police departments/agencies use it cull deer herds.
    Why are you so upset by the opinions of others? As far as I can reckon, experience has been a pretty good teacher. And it has taught me that alot of things the so called experts tell you to sell a product arent necassarily all its cracked up to be. You want to use it, fine. Will it work? Yes it will with qualified restrictions. But the bottom line is that these restrictions are limiting factors, which means within certain limitations. When we get outside of these limitations, and even within in them, the risk of failure due to variables depending on the inherent traits of the round itself will rise exponentially. One does not have to be a rocket scientist to figure this out. But a nimrod will fall into this everytime.
    All things being equal, there is no substitute for caliber. I believe it was Peter Capstick who originally said " to use enough gun, is adequate. To use more, is preferred."
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    I have shown you that people use it as an effective deer round.
    You could make a case that the .22 short is an effective deer round. That dont make it so.

Other people on this forum are using it as a deer round.
    Other people on this forum are using .22 for self defense. That dont mean its the best cartridge for self defense.

To simple say " varmint" round shows a very stubborn way of thinking.
    See how most companies choose to list it. To say that it is not, to make it into something that you want it to be is naieve.

You have shown no evidence to back this up besides the typical " banned in states" by people who smarter than me.
    Did you ever even once, wonder why it was banned? Did it ever even occur to you that they used real data and facts to base their decision?

But I guess you know more about ammunition than companies like federal, or the bullet makers at Sierra and hornady. Well than why are states unbanning it?
    My guess would be for the same reason that some states allow two men to marry each other. They dont know any better.

Why in some of the biggest deer harvesting states in the country is it a widely used caliber ( pa, ny, tx, ga).
    Because they have so many deer that they just want them shot and they dont care if they run off or not? Just a guess.

Why do many police departments/agencies use it cull deer herds.
    Thats such a simple answer that I am suprised you even asked it. Thats what Police depts use. I carry an AR, a shot gun and a .308. When I dispatch deer,I use a Glock 21. Since most cops only have a .223, thats what they will use when they dont want to get blood or hair on their boots or a deer is flopping around making a difficult target.

I cull deer. We whacked 17 of them at our local airport with in two days. There were 4 other cops,myself and 2 AG&F officers along two other people that drug them to the trucks and loaded them up. Guess what. NONE of them use used .223's.

You are taking this too personal. I have spoke all I'm going to speak on this matter.

Go out and use your .223. I dont care. Shoot some and tell us all how it is a stellar cartridge for killing deer.
    QKShooter likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

When I was 8 years old I thought my BB gun was pretty powerful,probably a good thing I never tried to shoot a wild pig with it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    When I was 8 years old I thought my BB gun was pretty powerful,probably a good thing I never tried to shoot a wild pig with it.
    This little piggy went to market
    glockman10mm likes this.

Ive alwats used my 7.62x39 aim for the front shoulders if I make a clean shot dont have to track make a bad one hope it doesnt run at you.

I also carry my 21sf with FMJ lawman 230g if it get a little to close for me to comfortably use my rifle but we stalk out the hogs and have sometimes cleared a small hill or gone into a small valley and by god theres a dozen hogs now staring at me. We only do this in large groups of 8 or more people, and we have hunted as a group many times to get a feel and trust for the others.

Now ask your self do you want to rely on perfect shot placement with a .223 or know if you get close with a 7.62? I strongly belive a .223 will drop a hog with an exact shot but personally i would rather have a little more weight behind mine.
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

STUPID=WELL YOU CANT FIX THEM ALL

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links