Hunting with a 5.56

This is a discussion on Hunting with a 5.56 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mmmmm bacon....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Hunting with a 5.56

VIP Member
    Mmmmm bacon.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Like everything else, it's operator skill. The better the ability of the shooter to make correct shot placement at varying ranges will dictate the caliber that shooter can/should use.

The city dwellers that shoot their rifles twice a year (once to sight in, the second to hunt) should really stick with the larger calibers and the correct projectile design. Skilled shooters that know their weapon, and can call their shots at any range within 2" certainly can go with the smaller caliber, but still need the correct projectile.

I have not done any hunting since I was 16, and it was deer during Archery season in the fall (plains of CO). I was a great shot. I practiced daily for 2-3 hours all year. My one and only hunt season, I hit 4 deer, all confirmed kill hits (the deer ran past several fellow hunters in my group who would normally take a second shot if the first looked poor - none saw the need). Not one blood trail, and lost 3 of the 4. The one that was found, my shot went in just rear of the left shoulder and exited forward of the right rear leg. Again no trail, and this time no witnesses so there was a lot of doubt that this 16y/o hunting for the first time with a group of 15 that has been doing this for 20 years. We searched for 1/2 an hour then moved on.

My doe was found 30y away by one in our group who literally tripped over it hiking to the next kill box. She was in a stand of grass with my arrow laying next to it (it managed to finish pulling it out), and a blood stain on the ground where it was laying about 3" in diameter. My shot took out both lungs and the heart. the broadheads I was using was the latest and greatest to hit the bow hunter market - 5 blade with a 1.75" cutting diameter, and chisel point to shatter bone. Problem being is the blades free floated on the shaft of the broadhead, allowing them to rotate and made nice clean surgical cuts that sealed right back up - ergo no blood trail.

I was an excellent shot up to 150 yards, I had the wrong projectile.

Again. Shooter skill combined with a projectile that will perform from 0 to that shooters max range.

You can be a surgeon on paper with a 5.56 up to 600y, but if the bullet stops working at 100, probably should not use it past that.

Comparing animals to humans is down right ignorant in terms of using projectiles and calibers. Humans are weak fragile creatures. Animals can have a leg blown off during hunting season, and will be found the next year grazing with the herd on 3 legs - look ma, no ER to get treatment. A human will die in short order from either blood loss or shock.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

My boys will be hunting with a .223 AR this fall. It is equiped with a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot.
    I have Barnes TSX and Federal Fusion ammunition.
    Shots will be restricted to broadside & standing still about 30 yards max, much like bowhunting.
    Yesterday, I placed a water filled gallon jug at 30 yards and both of them hit the jug on the 1st and again on the 2nd try.
    With plenty of time left to practice they should be ready this fall.
    Rest of the story: they are 7 & 8 years old.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Sticks,

Shooting a bow out ton 150 yards and hitting a kill zone on a deer , I'd say you had to be a excellent shot also. heck I'd have trouble keeping a rifle with iron sights in the kill zone at 150 yards.

A friend of mine hunts wild pigs in Texas with his Colt LE6920 and M855 green tip. He tells me head shots are a must. If you can't score a head shot with it don't take the shot. Point is, I would go with the deepest penetrating bullet I could find if I was going to hunt an animal of that size with a 5.56. You'll be better off when you transition to the 7.62; in the meantime, I would definitely shoot no lower than neck.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I'd like to hear opinions about hunting hogs, coyotes and possibly deer with the 5.56. What ammo would be the most appropriate on hogs up to maybe 350 lbs? There's a topic on another forum about hunting deer with 223 and there's arguments on both sides about this. I've hunted hogs and coyotes with both my ARs in 5.56 and my SCAR H which is 308. I've seen 300 lb hogs dropped on the spot with 855 but they were perfect shots within 200 meters.

I'm not asking what caliber people think should be the minimum or what type of rifle should be used, I'm curious about what ammo those that hunt with 5.56 and 7.62 and their success rates. I'm also curious to hear about what you guys think about hunting deer with 5.56. I'll hold my opinions till later but I'm not completely opposed to it.

Just do me one favor here, try to base comments on fact and experience. If you tell me you'll be searching for two days for the deer you shoot with a 5.56, at least tell me this happened to you or a hunt you were on, not that you think it's what would happen.

Thanks for any comments. I'm really interested in the right ammo for the job for these two calibers.
    I hunt coyote, fox, and bobcat hunt with mine. If I don't care about the pelt, I use 40gr hornaday vmax bullets. It gets messy and leaves big exit wounds at times but it puts them down hard. If I care about the pelts I use a larger WWB 45gr jhp varmint round that is commonly found at walmart it likes to open up and stay in there more than not.

I don't hunt anything bigger than that with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    Sticks,

Shooting a bow out ton 150 yards and hitting a kill zone on a deer , I'd say you had to be a excellent shot also. heck I'd have trouble keeping a rifle with iron sights in the kill zone at 150 yards.
    I should have clarified that one. I could hit a hay bale out to 150. Could not guarantee I would get it in the center. I would never have taken a hunting shot past 75.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Administrator
    Please excuse me for failing to post a comment pertaining to this particular video.

Winchester Model 70 .30-06 takes down 300 lb. wild boar.

Required a single shot broadside through the heart/lung area rather than a half a magazine-full of ammo. This hog did exhibit that same curious "running around in circles" that the one on the clip did.
    Attached Images
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Please excuse me for failing to post a comment pertaining to this particular video.

That is disturbing. I can't stand watching things suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    That is disturbing. I can't stand watching things suffer.
    Realistically, that hog was down and out. The old saying: "It was only his nerves" applies. Critters don't always conveniently stiffen and be still upon receiving a precise killing shot. Such final movements are the nervous system shutting down and not an indicator of lucid final moments.
    azchevy likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    That kid probably got on some gun Forum and read that the .223 with the newer, modern bullets was the best thing for hog hunting since sliced bread. He may have been told that it wasn't the best tool for the job by several old coots and figured that they were using facts from a generation ago that didn't apply today. Logic, experience and the fact that several of the posters have probably killed hundreds of animals may not have mattered because, after all, he read that it was more than adequate for everything from Bull Elephants to fierce man eating Giraffes.

So he had to shoot...what....5 times?

Some would call that a successful hunt.

It did kill it... eventually.

That kid is pretty lucky that the pig didn't charge him, having seen a few hog dogs (pit bulls) severely torn up and even killed over the years by wounded, irate hogs, I sure wouldn't be guilty of toting a .223 to a hog hunt but thats just me.
    atctimmy, QKShooter and itschuck like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Some would call that a successful hunt.

It did kill it... eventually.
    Not me. That was not fun to watch.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Administrator
    I was actually checking YouTube for a different large oinker 5.56 one shot kill and that one popped up. I ran through that vid a few times and that was also what I initially thought but, that one was just amateurishly inept and needlessly sloppy.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Realistically, that hog was down and out. The old saying: "It was only his nerves" applies. Critters don't always conveniently stiffen and be still upon receiving a precise killing shot. Such final movements are the nervous system shutting down and not an indicator of lucid final moments.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yeah I don't like that either...but the same thing happened to the deer I shot last fall. My shot (with a .30-30) was actually a dead on heart shot, blasted it into a few pieces after I gutted it and found it, and the deer dropped in it's tracks. It was squirming around just like that hog was, and I even put another shot into it, same as the video minus the follow ups. (Vital shot, not a head shot) Still kept wiggling and making sounds for a bit. Definitely nerves, adrenaline, and whatever else animals have in them.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links