Hunting with a 5.56

This is a discussion on Hunting with a 5.56 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This article about .223 and deer hunting is interesting: The Myth: The .223 is too Light for Deer...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Hunting with a 5.56

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    This article about .223 and deer hunting is interesting: The Myth: The .223 is too Light for Deer
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

2. Remove Ads

223 Winchester Ranger 64gr Soft Point

good stuff

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    That is disturbing. I can't stand watching things suffer.
    Me either that's why I don't bow hunt.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Administrator
    I think that when you hunt big & heavy things on 4 legs then bigger and heavier is the way to go with regard to the projectile.

I think that it's possible to get too enamored and dumbstruck with a particular caliber and then expect it to do "all things" - because folks might really want to believe that it can but, such is not always the case.

By all means "push the envelope" if you're in a survival situation where you absolutely must take meat with whatever firearm you have but, other than that rare scenario I cannot justify going hunting intentionally undergunned.

Just my personal opinion on that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Just my personal opinion on that.
    I'll second that one.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The hog was definitely down and dead with the second shot. Most deer, when shot through the heart and/or lungs, will run 50-100 yds while they bleed out and their death throws aren't witnessed by the hunter as most hunters, rightfully, stay on stand so as not to push the animal. This boar's death just happened to be video taped from start to finish - it wasn't an inordinate amount of time, only a couple of minutes. Remember the brain has enough oxygen to keep going after the heart stops or the blood is gone. People just don't see it that often, even hunters, and no, it ain't pretty. I put down a deer by putting a bullet through the center of its brain and it thrashed and kicked for a few minutes. That being said, it looked to me like the shooter didn't account for the correct angle when attempting to fire a finishing shot from across the road and also failed to account for the sight being above the bore of his rifle and was shooting the boar below the brain when he walked right up to it. He should've just left it alone after the 2nd shot and let it bleed out or gone to the other side of the road and shot it from behind at the base of the skull. It was a good shoot, just not what people are accustomed to seeing and the guy made things worse by repeatedly shooting a dead pig in the wrong spot.

I'd hunt deer with a .223 with a properly constructed bullet, hog - probably only if I was up in a tree.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Me either that's why I don't bow hunt.
    I've bowkilled over two dozen whitetails (not kidding) and they were dead in about 10 seconds.
    What did these have in common? 20 yards or less, broadside or slightly quartering, standing still, new razor sharp blades, carefully chosen shot placement.

Essentially apply that criteria to the .223/5.56: 30 yards or less, broadside or slightly quartering, standing still, properly constructed bullet, shot placement (tripod use).

I've killed a couple of deer with rifle (.243) and muzzleloader that were way out there (80-100 yards), but my boys will be held to close range.

People knocking the .223/5.56 for deer are not thinking the conditions I described.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Administrator
    Well, I'll just end with the fact that the ages old and most common/frequent question always asked by responsible, prudent hunters intending on taking larger tougher to kill beasts has always been - "Do I have enough gun?" for the game that they intend to take.
    At least that has always been the way things were in the world that I grew up in.

The question has never been "What is the minimum & least effective cartridge that you think I can get away with if I can manage to make a PERFECT shot?"

And yes I am fully aware of the scourge of the dreaded oinkers (which have bred like rats during the Black Plague) and the damage that they are causing to land, crops, environment, etc. but that should not alter the fact that the good hunter should always opt for a clean swift kill no matter what the hunt.

Don't get me wrong...my SHTF rifle is 5.56 but, the cartridge was never fabricated to do a fast, humane, drop on fat, tough-skinned, meaty, gristly, 300, 400, 500LB anything.

You'all know it was a cartridge designed to critically wound so I won't bother getting into its intended battle purpose.

I think it's important to separate wanting to play with the tricked out MIL SPEC battle rifle ~ from what has always historically been traditional long standing good/best hunting practice. Which is be sure to take enough gun...and then some.

I guess I'm just am old fashioned kinda guy.

I look at the 5.56/.223 Rem and I say "Golly Gee Willikers! What great varmint rifle! Go pop you some Prairie Dogs and you go get that pesky dadblamed...raccoon....boy!"

But, that is also just my personal opinion and folks will (I'm certain) do whatever it is that they will do anyway...so I'm done here.

Peace....through inferior firepower. Oh wait...that was supposed to be superior firepower.

Sorry.
    atctimmy likes this.

I've been reading here about head shots on deer. Wrong. It was said that it is a challenge, correct, it is. Thats why it's wrong. Probably one of the worst ways for a deer to die is starvation, and that will happen when your head shot goes wrong and breaks it's jaw. Use a proper caliber and aim for the boiler. It may run for a while, but if you are an ethical hunter, you will track it until you find it dead. A jaw shot deer will not die..for days. And then very badly.
    Hunting is a challenge but should not stretched to the extreme at the expense of the animal.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links