Just bought my first Shotgun!! Have few questions.

This is a discussion on Just bought my first Shotgun!! Have few questions. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was looking for either a Mossberg 500 with a 18.5" barrel in 12 gauge. I was leaning towards the 50411 BUT I couldn't find ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought my first Shotgun!! Have few questions.

Just bought my first Shotgun!! Have few questions.

I was looking for either a Mossberg 500 with a 18.5" barrel in 12 gauge. I was leaning towards the 50411 BUT I couldn't find it any cheaper than $319 locally.

Today I bought a Mossberg 500 18.5" barrel and is Parkerized. Model is 50521. I don't see it on Mossberg's website though?????
    I found it for $259! This is $60 cheaper than the 50411 AND has a parkerized finish which I believe usually is more money than the blued versions. I has a different forearm stock which imo looks nicer. It also appears to have a shorter shoulder stock is shorter and has a better recoil pad than the 50411 model which I thought was a plus.

So I do have a few questions.
    1) Why is this model 50521 cheaper than the 50411?
    2) Why isn't this listed on Mossberg's website?

Mossberg 50521 500SP 12 18 6SH CB PGK PRK $265.00 SHIPS FREE

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    A lot of times (most) distributor specials are not advertised worldwide on the manufactuers website, simply because of the headaches it would create by people wanting to purchase what they see on the 'net and it not being available in their area.
    The link you provided contains the answer;
    This configuration is available only to Sports South.
    So, only dealers serviced by the Sports South distributor sell this model.

Buds is able to sell cheaper because of lower overhead and selling volume. I.E, purchasing power.

That is all for SIXTO's retail and merchandising 101.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    SIXTO nailed the answer!

Lightbulb Mossberg 50521 upgrades

I just picked up a Mossberg 50521 for $263.25 + 9.5% WA State sales tax (ouch) from a LGS. I like the Parkerized finish. The 50521 has the integrated action arm/forend (found on Mavericks). It is my impression that Maverick is Mossberg's second line, parts made in Mexico, assembled in USA. You have to convert if you want to upgrade to an aftermarket forend. I can't really tell from the pictures, but I suspect that the 50411 has a different finish and a different forend than the 50521. Not sure if the the forend is upgradeable on the 50411.

I didn't realize the difference until after purchase. I wanted to put a Hogue Overmolded (OM) forend on my 50521 and then realized the difference. So, I have ordered the necessary parts from Midway to do the forend upgrade, Hogue OM forend (P/N 928725), Mossberg 6-3/4" Action Slide Tube Assembly (P/N 373588) [currently backordered, maybe a popular upgrade?], Hogue Forend Adapter Nut (P/N 643889). You will also need a Forend Nut Wrench. Midway has them, but can be found cheaper elsewhere. BTW, Hogue states that a little Dremel tool trimming on the forend interior is necessary for a good fit. I also found some helpful YouTube videos. It will cost me about $60 and a little time to do the upgrade. I am a bit of a tinkerer, so it doesn't matter to me. I not sure which Mossberg model would would have all of the features that you want.

YMMV,
    boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member
    fwiw, I think that Mossberg has an exceptionally useless website.

But congrats on the new hardware!

Quote Originally Posted by boomer1 View Post
    I just picked up a Mossberg 50521 for $263.25 + 9.5% WA State sales tax (ouch) from a LGS. I like the Parkerized finish. The 50521 has the integrated action arm/forend (found on Mavericks). It is my impression that Maverick is Mossberg's second line, parts made in Mexico, assembled in USA. You have to convert if you want to upgrade to an aftermarket forend. I can't really tell from the pictures, but I suspect that the 50411 has a different finish and a different forend than the 50521. Not sure if the the forend is upgradeable on the 50411.

I didn't realize the difference until after purchase. I wanted to put a Hogue Overmolded (OM) forend on my 50521 and then realized the difference. So, I have ordered the necessary parts from Midway to do the forend upgrade, Hogue OM forend (P/N 928725), Mossberg 6-3/4" Action Slide Tube Assembly (P/N 373588) [currently backordered, maybe a popular upgrade?], Hogue Forend Adapter Nut (P/N 643889). You will also need a Forend Nut Wrench. Midway has them, but can be found cheaper elsewhere. BTW, Hogue states that a little Dremel tool trimming on the forend interior is necessary for a good fit. I also found some helpful YouTube videos. It will cost me about $60 and a little time to do the upgrade. I am a bit of a tinkerer, so it doesn't matter to me. I not sure which Mossberg model would would have all of the features that you want.

YMMV,
    boomer
    Thanks for the info on parts. $60 isn't bad to upgrade to a nicer forend. I may in the future but I like the one that came on the 50521. I will try and post some pics later.

It does have a different forend and a different finish than the 50411. The 50411 has a blued finish and is a bit shinier. The 50521 is parkerized. Usually from what I recall, parkerized finishes are more expensive on Mossberg shotguns (look at the 590s. $30 more for Parkerized. Plus the 590A1 are parkerized). So I think we got a great deal. I saved $60 getting the 50521 over the 50411 plus it is parkerized which according to Mossberg is an upgrade.

Haven't shot is yet but will soon.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    Thanks for the info on parts. $60 isn't bad to upgrade to a nicer forend. I may in the future but I like the one that came on the 50521. I will try and post some pics later.

It does have a different forend and a different finish than the 50411. The 50411 has a blued finish and is a bit shinier. The 50521 is parkerized. Usually from what I recall, parkerized finishes are more expensive on Mossberg shotguns (look at the 590s. $30 more for Parkerized. Plus the 590A1 are parkerized). So I think we got a great deal. I saved $60 getting the 50521 over the 50411 plus it is parkerized which according to Mossberg is an upgrade.

Haven't shot is yet but will soon.
    Hey, you're welcome. I agree with you, we did get a very good deal. This is my first parkerized firearm, I like the look and feel.

I thought that there may be other folks that would like to have the particulars on the forend upgrade on the 50521. Heck, Mossberg has got to be selling them like hotcakes. I will try to post pictures after the upgrades.

Good luck,
    boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wonder how the shoulder stock on the 50521 compares to the 504011 in terms of LOP

I wonder how the shoulder stock on the 50521 compares to the 504011 in terms of LOP
    Wow! Sorry, I don't have any definite answer. I suspect that the two standard Mossberg polymer stocks are quite similar, as long as we are talking about the standard LOP and not the short LOP. Perhaps another forum member has the answer.....

YMMV,
    boomer

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wow! Sorry, I don't have any definite answer. I suspect that the two standard Mossberg polymer stocks are quite similar, as long as we are talking about the standard LOP and not the short LOP. Perhaps another forum member has the answer.....

YMMV,
    boomer
    How would I know if it is the long or the short?

What comes on the Mossber 500 50411 (18.5" barrel, 12 gauge, 6 shot)?

I could measure but do you measure the length of the stock or the length of the stock up to the front of the trigger guard?

I remember shooting my first shotgun. It demands respect! Respect the mossberg! Hahahaha. The power that thing had! 12g.

Nice!!
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

How would I know if it is the long or the short?

What comes on the Mossber 500 50411 (18.5" barrel, 12 gauge, 6 shot)?

I could measure but do you measure the length of the stock or the length of the stock up to the front of the trigger guard?

Try google "shotgun LOP"? Just a thought....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Try google "shotgun LOP"? Just a thought....
    Did that. I saw that you measure the end of the shoulder stock to where it meets the receiver BUT I saw somewhere else you measure up to the front of the trigger guard. That is why I am confused. The trigger guard measurement makes sense though.

Noeffort,

I would go with the #50411, or the #50521. The Thunder Range looks cool and I saw it in person but it was a bit more pricey (can't recall the price though). I don't believe it is a replacement for the persuader just another variant of the 500

Mossberg 500.

Excellent choice. Love mine, if I could conceal it I'd carry it everywhere.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links