What about a Sig .556 Patrol?

This is a discussion on What about a Sig .556 Patrol? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been looking for a good quality AR platform rifle. Does anyone have any experiences with this rifle? I have a cheapie DPMS thats okay to ...

Thread: What about a Sig .556 Patrol?

What about a Sig .556 Patrol?

Been looking for a good quality AR platform rifle. Does anyone have any experiences with this rifle? I have a cheapie DPMS thats okay to play with I just don't feel its the quality I was looking for, but I got what I paid for. I've heard some good and some bad about the Sig .556 Patrol. Enlighten me with your wisdom. If nothing else you can baffle me with your bull.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

2. Remove Ads

If you are going Sig why not get the 516...AR style?

I havent heard bad about the 556 line.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

IIRC Janq has one and he is quite pleased with it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I believe that the Sig is a piston gun.

The DPMS is not very highly considered, in AR circles. Not that it won't necessarily work, but because of lax QC, and a quality AR can be had for the same money.

I recently bought my first AR, after months of research. I got a lot of good advice from jonconsiglio, and M4C.

Based off my philosophy of use and research, the best AR value is Bravo Company. I just finished mine, a 16" mid length, for under $1,150; including shipping and 4 magazines. I could have done it for a bit less, but wanted certain specific things.

Another exceptional AR is the Colt 6920. Colt ARs are among the best and can be had for ~$1K. If I didn't want a mid length, I would've bought the Colt.

ETA: Sorry, I just realized that you were specifically asking about the Sig, rather than ARs in general. I have no personal experience, but have heard nothing bad about them.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Concealed. I own a SIG 556 Classic same mechanism different accessories so to speak.

SIG 556's are divided into two categories people love them or absolutely hate them. I love mine. It is heavier than an AR, the mag release is a slightly further reach than an AR, the sights are different from an AR but the one thing to remember IT IS NOT AN AR.

I run AR and AK platforms and to me this is the best of both worlds. The patrol has a slightly shorter/lighter, for the lack of a better word, gas system than the full size rifle so the critics say that it will wear quicker. Ok but how many thousands of rounds will that take? Everything wears out. I dont know that anyone has ever shot one until it wears out.
    There have been incidents of poor QC from SIG and really sucky customer service I never have had that but.......

The stock both collapes and folds, the gas system is adjustable, it goes bang when you want it to and is as accurate as others in its class. It is all up to you if you can fire one before you buy it would be great. I also bought the 522 to train with and for the kids to shoot.

The 556 is running a Burris XTR and the 522 is equiped with a Leupold CQ/T and a 4-16 optic for some accuracy work.

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I appreciate the information guys. I found out the DPMS AR's are a little lacking after I purchased mine. I did read the post on the Bravo Company AR's & I have thought heavily on going that route. I've actually been an addict on the Bravo Company web site. I have also researched the crude out of this subject so I'm always lookin for additional information and people willing to share their opinions.
    I just seen a Sig Patrol pop up for sale here locally for $995.00 I thought If it was a decent buy I might jump on it, but after perusing the internet It appears that the price is o.k. not out standing.

I'm on the fence. The Bravo Company still looks good.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

I guess it depends on what exactly you want to do with it.

Are you wanting to go with a piston gun, specifically? Or are you just looking for a quality .223/5.56 that won't break the bank?

Colt 6920
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Honestly I find the same quality and reliability elsewhere for a much more affordable price... Honestly I do not like the 556, If your looking at a 516 you can build your own custom AR platform for the price of that.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Here is a write up I did on mine.
    Its on another site so I don't know if you'll be able to access it or not.

TexasCHLforum.com • View topic - Sig Sauer 556 Range Report *PICS*
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

You may want to research a few of the AR dedicated forums m4carbine.com and AR15.com You will probably find out a lot more technical info @ the Sig and other good choices I.e. Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, LMT, LaRue, Noveske, Colt...some of which don't have to cost more that what you have in mind and quality is outstanding. Just food for thought.

Hi everyone - new to this site as I have just purchased my first 556 (Patrol version) after shooting a friend's for a while. Two questions:

(1) where can I get a quad rail forend akin to the one that comes stock with the SWAT Patrol? All I can find are the Pistol and Full Rifle versions (i.e., does the Pistol version fit the shorter Patrol rifle forend, as the full rifle version is too long for the Patrol).

(2) hate the stock and want to replace it but the rifle came with the folding stock that does not have a tube to install a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide and apologies in advance for what are obviously ignorance questions.

Regards,

John

I really like the 556 series rifles, especially now that SIG is including the real Swiss folding stock with them. My 556 Patrol is my next SBR project, and that means I am keeping it for life. The SIG "factory" rotary diopter sights are cheap ChiCom junk IMO, but the rest of the rifle is solid and very reliable in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jxbjr View Post
    Hi everyone - new to this site as I have just purchased my first 556 (Patrol version) after shooting a friend's for a while. Two questions:

(1) where can I get a quad rail forend akin to the one that comes stock with the SWAT Patrol? All I can find are the Pistol and Full Rifle versions (i.e., does the Pistol version fit the shorter Patrol rifle forend, as the full rifle version is too long for the Patrol).

(2) hate the stock and want to replace it but the rifle came with the folding stock that does not have a tube to install a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide and apologies in advance for what are obviously ignorance questions.

Regards,

John
    1) Can't help there.

2) Which folding stock do you have? Telescoping and folding, or the Swiss Folding Stock? Either way Double Diamond Law Enforcement Supply (DDLES) sells a folding stock adapter that will allow you to use conventional M4 type telestocks (you still have to buy the tube, castle nut, etc). I have a DDLES adapter NIW if you are interested, I got the Swiss folder on my 556 Patrol and will never look back. Keep in mind that the Swiss folding stock that comes on the newer 556 rifles is great quality and sought after, it wouldn't be hard to sell.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

My uncle has the sig .556 swat, Its pretty good. He loves it atleast. I enjoy shooting it but would have no interest in buying one....on the other hand a REC7 is what im after.
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

I bought Patrol mod 556 made in Sept 2011. I put a 1000 rounds of mil-surp thru it so far. I own many combat rifles this one is my favorite. As soon as i put 1500 rounds thru it i will say it is my SHTF rifle. Not one malfunction from my rifle, not a one!! More fun to shoot the my RR NM AR-15. It appears to me to be as reliable as an AK-47 (put 6000 rds thur my AK) slightly less accurate then average AR-15. It is clean and no rattles or loose parts. Fit and finish top of the line. Bolt reminds me of a cross between H&K G3, FAL, and AK-47. I paid $975 for mine also. Per my gun i say go for it.

Links