What Optic Are You Running On Your AR? - Page 2

What Optic Are You Running On Your AR?

This is a discussion on What Optic Are You Running On Your AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Have a Eotech 552 on my M4 and an Trijicon TR-24 on my JP-15!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What Optic Are You Running On Your AR?

Have a Eotech 552 on my M4 and an Trijicon TR-24 on my JP-15!

EOTech 512 on my first AR, Aimpoint H-1 on a LaRue QD mount on the second.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'm running a Millet DMR-1 on one, good for everything I need. It's too lomg and covers the backup rear sight so I have a set of QD mounts on it. Found in the miscelaneous pile at the gunshop, not sure of brand. My RRA heavy barrel has a Simmons 44 mag on it. Too much magnification for everyday but good for what I use that gun for. I have a set of backup irons on it just because it seems like the right thing to do. I'm building a 9mm with a Tru Glo 2x on it. Good carbine scope. Looks like it will have plain Magpul BUIS on it. SWMBO has an old old Tasco red dot on hers because that is the way she says it will be. She has, however, decided hers will soon run a Tru Glo "Gobble Stopper" on it. I suspect its 50% she likes the circle-dot reticle and 50% the name "Gobble Stopper". I just put a Tasco 4x on an old Colt with a carry handle. Mount is a no-name see through carry handle mount I found at the shop. Same with the scope. It has a diamond and crosshair reticle. I don't shoot it much except on a 100 yard range so that works for now. I may use it for some hogs from a stand at pretty short, known ranges so fancy amd expensive isn't needed.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

after running a number of high and low end red dots and optics, i suggest this

Vortex 1-4x24 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope

gave you all a 1x red dot will, but will also get you out to 600y, this a dot wont....

LEUPOLD 50MM 4-9X on my 20" barrel AR. Beware you need a riser if you go to 50mm

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

VIP Member
    eotech xps3-0
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    I run several different optics on my 556 and 522. I have not been home yet to shoot the new AR but it will also go into the rotaion.

Burris XTR on the 556 to me this is one of the finest setups you can have. BDC, illuminated reticle plus circle dot CQB settings.

Leupold CQ/T one of the few variable power red dots. Circle Dot ranging capability with varible power. Pricey but worth in on occasion.

Centerpoint 4-16 for accuracy testing. Inexpensive optic but did testing with it never lost zero. When I take my guns out when home they get shot a lot and this thing never missed a beat. Drop tested twice with no shift in zero or damage to the optic. On sale at your local walmart for like $79.00

I also use Aimpoint H-1 and T-1's on both my M4's and AK's. Using quality mounts allows me to switch optics between rifles with little or no shift in zero if needed.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I'm running an Aimpoint PRO on my Colt 6920. I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet with the optic on but from what I can tell I'm really going to enjoy having it on my AR. I was debating between the PRO or an Eotech 517 but the Aimpoint won because I like the long battery life that Aimpoint offers. The PRO is basically a Comp M3 with a slightly shorter battery life and also comes with a mount which for 400 dollars is one heck of a package deal. I ordered it from G&R Tactical.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I just recently built my first AR. EOTech 512 was the red dot I chose. It was a little more than I wanted to spend for my first build (yes it was a kit) but I decided the splurge was worth it once I found it took AA batteries.

I have two AR's and have two EOTech XPS2-0 (one with an EOTech mag) and love them. I am going to go with a 4-12x40 Redfield for longer range shooting.

These two (and the magnifier) are all I really NEED for any carbine I own. It's always nice to have more though. I'd like to try the EoTech EXPS 3 with the magnifier and the Elcan Specter DR one of these days.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

With my Nikon Monarch

Senior Moderator
    The EOTech XPS2 on a .300 Blackout.A short sight for a short gun...with good balance.
    QKShooter likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    EoTech 557 on one. Irons only on the other.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Usually shoot in 100yards, so i choose tactical riflescope with 2.5x - 10x.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links