308 or 300

308 or 300

This is a discussion on 308 or 300 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just want you guy's opinion. I'm looking at purchasing a Remington 700 .308 or .300 win mag. I can't decide. I just want versatility and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 308 or 300

308 or 300

Just want you guy's opinion. I'm looking at purchasing a Remington 700 .308 or .300 win mag. I can't decide. I just want versatility and something I can hunt anything in the US with.

Senior Moderator
    I've got one of each.

The .308 will take anything in North America and it will do it cheaper and with less recoil than the .300 Win Mag.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I would not be inclined to walk thru the Alaskan Bush with a .308!! (lived in Alaska for 9 years)

The .308 is probably fine for anything in the lower 48 and as hotguns said, it is cheaper and has less recoil. With the shorter cartridge, you get shorter actions which make for less weight than the longer Magnum actions.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I bought a .300 Winmag barrel for my Encore on the advice that my .308 is a little under powered for western elk, not saying the advice is correct but I respect the guy who made the suggestion. The .300 does offer a serious recoil increase compared to .308.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Moderator
    If you are hunting, elk, big bears or taking long shots, then go with the .300.

If you arent hunting any of the above or taking long shots, the .308 will do it.

It just depends on what you are going to do.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    If you are hunting, elk, big bears or taking long shots, then go with the .300.

If you arent hunting any of the above or taking long shots, the .308 will do it.

It just depends on what you are going to do.
    Exactly the advice I was given.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

It never hurts to have too much gun, it can hurt having not enough!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

300 win mag, 400 or 500 fps faster (flatter) than 308 win, bullet selection great for both, basically 300 will do what the 308 does 200-300 yrs farther, Gets choosen by alaskan hunters for it's range and flat trajectory, (mostly), but its not a fun gun to shoot, even with a heavy barrel and furniture it slap's the shooter, If you are not shooting big game, at 200 + ranges why saddle your self with that much gun...

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I was reading about this the other day. The comments that others are saying are a reiteration of what I have been reading. The .308 is a nice balance to contend with when comparing the two rifles. The .308 is known to have a nice trajectory, is very accurate and has a wide selection of ammo availability due to it being the choice of rifle in many countries (in military use if I'm not mistaken).

Like everyone else is telling you, depending on your use will determine your choice. If you're hiking and will be packing a lot of gear, you might want to consider the 308 unless you are anticipating very large game.

To recap the 308;

Lighter in weight
    Less recoil
    Very accurate but doesn't have the distance of the 300
    Surplus in ammo availability

If I were going to use it in the lower 48, I would go 308 for what its worth. If I were making ventures where I needed a very powerful round and that necessity outweighed the downside of packing a heavier rifle with significantly more recoil then I'd take the 300 WinMag.

I would lean toward the 300. It will give you more versatility, if you at some point, change to more demanding types of hunting and in a comparable model the weight difference will be negligible. Reloading will allow even more versatility. The 300s do have more recoil but in an adequate rifle it is not outrageous. In addition, a hunting rifle is not meant for hours long shooting sessions. That is not its purpose.

I have owned the first of the 300 Mags for fifty years and have never been disappointed in my choice.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

If your comparing the two rifles side by side I would look at what you actually plan on using it for. How much your going to shoot it, cause if you can only stand shooting 5 or 10 rounds at a time your not going to get a whole lot of shooting in. I know you asked us for our opinions and suggestions but it really comes down to you. Another rifle suggestion would be the thompson center venture. I just bought one and it is a pretty nice gun. However I don't believe that you can find it in a short action only long. This rifle has a moa guarantee and it does shoot that or better. I shot a .5" group at 100 yards a couple of weeks ago (handloads). Anyways let us know what you chose and what pushed you towards it.

30-06 will take anything in the US and was used to every big game in Africa.... just sayin...

I appreciate all the advice.

I have a .22-250 that I love. I can hunt anything in Texas with it. I want a little more boom just because I guess. I am probably going to get a Nikon Monarch for it. Not high end but not the worst from what I have gathered. Any suggestions on scope without paying more than the gun is worth?

I gave some thought to the Thompson Center because I like Smith and Wesson but I will, over time, customize this rifle so I want to stick with the action of the Remington 700. I will make my purchase at the end of this month.

Right now I'm leaning towards the .300!

Between the two choices offered I'd take the .300 Winchester Magnum because of its proven ability to launch the more heavyweight .30 bullets downrange with flat trajectory and high retained energy. A handloader can always tame it if needed.

I'm dedicated to the .30-06 myself and don't feel the need to take the step to the magnum .30s as the '06 will also handle heavyweight bullets with aplomb. I have a .308 but it's an M1A and doesn't see hunting use.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Unless your planning to take a safari or take a 1000 yard shot on a moose I would go with the. 308. It was good enough to be the militarys sniper round for several years it will definatley be good enough for you. Plus the. 300 hurts to shoot and is not enjoyable to sight in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links