New member with shotgun mod question.

This is a discussion on New member with shotgun mod question. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently got a Remington 870 Express. It is parkerized with an 18" barrel, bead sight, and wood furniture. The only mod so far is ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By SIXTO
  • 1 Post By TSiWRX

Thread: New member with shotgun mod question.

I recently got a Remington 870 Express. It is parkerized with an 18" barrel, bead sight, and wood furniture. The only mod so far is an extended magazine tube. I'm looking to replace the stock and forend with the one pictured. It is the Talon Tactical Shotgun Six Position Stock & Forend with Scorpion Buttpad and Recoil Grip from Advanced Technology International (ATI).

Now the question. Has anyone had experience with this particular set up (or the folder model) and if so, how do you like it?

Can't help you with your question, but welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! There should be somebody on here to answer your question shortly!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

RKM
    I have an ATI collapsible and folding stock on my Mossberg. It's not the one you have pictured, but the one you have pictured two friends of mine both have on their shotguns. They're nice. The pump, I have no idea, no experience with it. I took a universal 6" picatinny rail and screwed it to the pump of my Mossberg and put on a Magpul AFG.

Administrator
    Just keep the original stock and use the cash to take a shotgun class.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm with Sixto. There's little gain IMO with a collapsible-stocked shotgun and much to be lost in terms of controllability. Take a good defensive shotgun course and learn how to run the gun and use it to fight. Then, based on your defined needs, invest in new furniture and add-ons. If you really feel the urge to add something right now, add a white light in a good mount.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The collapsible stock alters the drop at comb, thus making it difficult to get a proper mount.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    for the forend, i see nothing wrong, the back I would use a blackhawk knox stock instead, much more comfortable plus has built in recoil dampners
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    for the forend, i see nothing wrong, the back I would use a blackhawk knox stock instead, much more comfortable plus has built in recoil dampners
    Yep. I also have the Knoxx (now Blackhawk) with the recoil reducing spring, and I could shoot it all day.
    If you want to shoot trap, skeet, or compete, keep the original stock.
    It's not too hard to swap though, so why not!

Thanks guys! Have moved away from the above and more in the direction of a Knoxx. I've been looking at their Compstock. It is a modified Hogue overmold to which Knoxx has added a recoil dampening system. Maintains the look and feel of a standard stock, but the recoil dampening system is supposed to reduce the felt recoil by around 60%. Thinking I'm still gonna go with the forend above. Gonna be a bit longer since I just spent the money on a mod to my AR.

Later!

Semi

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    well i do not think those sorts of stocks are a good idea- my limited experience is they are not helpful, and can make the gun hard to control and fire accurately. what is the purpose of doing this?? i do not know much about pistols or rifles, but i am a many year sporting clay shooter and bird hunter. the conventional stock layout, fit to your body, is close to perfect. your eye is the sight on the shotgun, and you need it! just my honest opinion.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Like the others have said, take a class where you're running the gun, before you start modifying it.

Your experience with your stock gun during class will then point you in the right direction in terms of modifications that are to *your* liking, and ones that are tactically sound.

Also, hopefully, the other class participants and/or your instructor/school will have various shotguns, set-up in different ways, that you can try out, to see what you prefer, and what you absolutely detest.

----

I found out during my first class that I love pistol-grips, but preferred the use of a full-sized, fixed, buttstock. I went with the SpeedFeed III because it not only fit my preferences above, but also allowed me to keep another 4 rounds on-gun (since, in my HD use, I will not have a full kit to put on/strap on, I depend on the rounds that are actually on-gun, ready-to-go.

I also found out that I absolutely hated the Knoxx recoil-dampening stock: I'm one of those people who just can't seem to get a good cheek weld on it, no matter how much I (and my instructors) tried (and yes, this happens - one of the instructors had the same problem that I had; he was the only one out of the 6 instructors there that day that had that problem, and I was the only student out of about 12 that day that also repeated the same).

I also went from a two-point sling to a single-point.

These are all things you won't likely know, for sure, until you've really run the gun. So you'll either want to be prepared to perhaps have to spend the money twice, or, alternatively, you'll want some way to be sure that you really want what you think you want.
    boomer1 likes this.

Links