AR triggers and stock upgrade help

This is a discussion on AR triggers and stock upgrade help within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own 2 ars already, a CMP NM target model, and a Heavy barrel varmint build, both w/ a2 stocks. The Varmint has a rh ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: AR triggers and stock upgrade help

AR triggers and stock upgrade help

I own 2 ars already, a CMP NM target model, and a Heavy barrel varmint build, both w/ a2 stocks. The Varmint has a rh ergo grip, which I like, and a stock trigger which I don't. The Match rifle has a rock river 2 stage trigger. I am building a new 6.8 spc white tail ar from a bare Stag lower, and a Ruger piston 6.8 upper. Are the drop in triggers and other 'premium' triggers worth the $$$ over the Rock River 2 stage? What collapsible stock do you suggest that is tough, comfortable, light, and affordable? I've never had/ shot with a multi-position stock, so I am overwhelmed with the selection and price ranges of them.
    Thanks, any suggestions would be helpful.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

What is the primary use of your AR's and do you typically use magnified optics?
    كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

I myself LOVE my spikes tactical trigger. But its a single stage trigger. Its the smoothest out of all my collection. I also had all the springs changed out which helped big time. As far as stocks go for a hunting rifle I would go VTOR or magpul. Just my. 02!!

Sponsor
    What make is the LPK in your varmint rifle? A quality FCG will feel like a match trigger compared to a junk lower kit trigger. There is a great debate over the benefits of high end match triggers over quality mil-spec for the average shooter. Are you going for bull's eye shoots at 600yds or shooting ground hog at 300yds?

Personally I'd be hard pressed to justify a $250.00+ trigger when I can get a very nice complete LPK with a crisp no creep FCG from Daniels Defense, LMT or G&R Tactical for le$$.

Primary Arms has the DD LPK for $69.99
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I just sold a $320 KAC trigger for $180. They make a great trigger that will fill a few roles. the Rock River is the last trigger I'll ever recommend. There are many issues with them, check the dedicated m4 forums or a quick Google search. Not a good choice. Personally, I stick with Colt GI triggers, but probably 85% of my shooting is within 200 meters and hardly ever from a bench for accuracy.

The only trigger I recommend is the Geissele (sounds like guys-lee). They make everything from the extremely reliable combat trigger, the SSA, to high speed precision triggers and everything in between. Their website gives you a great breakdown of what each trigger does and it's intended use.

Their SSA I'd about $170, but they go for a bit less and their new S2S is a good bit cheaper than that. The way I look at it is like this... If the lower comes with the KAC trigger, that's great, keep it. If it has a quality GI trigger and it's a defensive or mid range rifle, I'm happy with that personally, and will keep it. If I need to buy a trigger for a "fighting rifle", a gaming AR, a hunting AR, a precision build or a DMR build, the nay place my money will go is to Geissele.

LMT makes a decent trigger but there are much better choices. RRA does not make a quality two stage. You'll hear a number of people say it's great, and for them and their expeience, it may be, but they are not as reliable as many other options and not well regarded in the AR community. Stick with Geissele and you'll find what you want, whether you want t spend $120 or $350.

I'm thinking of picking up a couple more for my SCARs since the SCAR triggers leave a lot to be desired, but the last time I checked they were pushing $400 each. I'd like to at least replace the ne in my SCAR 17 since I run that out to 500 or more regularly, but that's a lot for a trigger for someone that's not a dedicated long range shooter...

Good luck with your search. Honestly though, if you're staying within 300 meters, I'd stick with the GI trigger. Proper trigger control will allow you to be just as accurate, it just might take a little bit more focus. The trigger is the very last thing I look at changing, but that's just me for my style of shooting.

Stocks - this is just for me... If my rifle that I use for defense or training came with a standard collapsible stock, I'd be ok with using that, though I usually don't just because I have extras laying around. For 16" and under and a rifle I use for those reasons, I'll use a Magpul CTR and am thinking about switching to the Vltor iMod. I also use the Sopmod and it's a great stock as well, plus it works well in everything from an SBR to a precision rig, I just end up switching back to something else, though I can't put my finger on exactly why.

For me, those are the three stocks I like best. I've owned others, but they don't do anything better for me than those do. I like the MOE or CTR because it's light and compact. Same goes for the iMod but it has a slightly better cheek weld. I like the Sopmod because it's the most comfortable, but it's a little bulkier. I'll use whichever balances my rifle the best.
    Skygod likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    Allow me to make a suggestion.
    Call Brownells and request a catalog. http://www.brownells.com/ I think Catalog 64 is their latest one & it's about 700 pages.

They are stocking a glut AKA "Pages Upon Pages" of AR stuff these days with great descriptions.

You'll be able to read the specs on all of the triggers & available trigger groups and various stocks.

As a bonus there are full rifle builds depicted with each part called out ~ A - B- C - etc.
    So you can look at a complete rifle that best suits your need and then buy the exact parts that went into that rifle.

And....the big plus of buying from Brownells is that whatever parts you ultimately decide on you can return for a full credit swap...or for a full refund.

You call them up & simply say "I bought this "XYZ" trigger & I don't like it."

It does not have to be broken, defective, or "the wrong part" - if you just don't like it then that is good enough reason for them.

I'm with jonconsiglio on the GI trigger, or at most a Geissele. I would avoid Bill Springfield, as I have seen first hand his triggers cause doubling in ARs.

Unless you want a target rifle, I would think a GI trigger will probably be fine.

I am partial to Magpul furniture, their MOE stock is affordable, and still functional. Not quite as fancy as the CTR, but it gets the job done, for a lot less money.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

This will be a hunting build for white tail deer, shots less then 250 yards. I will use a low power scope, and it has buis from the manufacture.
    I just ordered the ar catalog from Brownells from your recommendation . My LPK in the varmint rifle came from M&A Parts, I don't know the particular manufacture. All part work well but the trigger needs to be a bit lighter, it breaks fine but has a tiny bit of grittiness. I don't feel confident in 'stoning' FC parts. I thought that a LPK was an LPK, manufacture did not mean anything because they were all 'mil-spec' and were all outsourced to the same few true manufactures.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Yep, there's a huge difference between a Colt/BCM/LMT GI trigger and a DPMS/Stag/RRA GI trigger. Actually, there's quite a difference with the entire lower parts kit.
    Skygod likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

i have a RRA, a armalite NM and a Geissele...

the RRA is the wost of the 3, but still WAY better then a factory 1 stage

the Geissele i have is fully adjustable... right now, 1st stage is 2#, 2nd stage in 8oz... i love it...

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Why do you want a collapsible stock? If you can find a fixed stock that fits, why not go with it? Or get an adjustable stock, and adjust it to your body.

I like the Magpul CTR Stocks. Used them on a few of my ARs for years. quick to adjust and once locked it, it's rock solid.

Lead Moderator
    I like the Magpul MOE stock. I considered the CTR , however the MOE locks up and is nice and tight .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links