Building an MSR/EBR

This is a discussion on Building an MSR/EBR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am attempting to build my first AR-15. I want to start with the basic platform and learn what does and doesn't work for me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Building an MSR/EBR

Building an MSR/EBR

I am attempting to build my first AR-15. I want to start with the basic platform and learn what does and doesn't work for me before performing any upgrades. My shopping list is below.

BCM Lower Receiver, Blemished $269.00
    BCM Lower Parts Kit Included w/receiver
    Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard Included w/receiver
    Stock Hardware Mounting Kit - H Buffer Included w/receiver
    BCM M4 Stock $20.00
    Magpul MOE Grip, Black $19.00
    BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Reciever Group $489.00
    BCM A2 Flash Hider Included w/barrel
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto $139.95
    BCM Forward Assist Assembly - Complete $13.95
    BCM GunFighter Charging Handle w/ Mod 5 Latch (small) $44.95
    Calvary Arms C6 Midlength Handguards $24.99
    Magpul PMAG 30 Magazine BLACK; QTY 6EA $85.20
    LaRue Tacical Fixed BUIS $89.00
    LaRue Tacial Covert Rifle Case 615-00X, Tan $140.00
    Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling $49.95
    Ammo, Lots of it. $$$
    Cumulative Total (Not including ammo) $1385

I am not intending for this to be a safe queen, but I am also trying to figure out how blemished, is blemished, regarding the receiver. I went with a different charging handle since I got the impression that BCM Gunfighter one more durable than the standard style. Also, I was trying to find a good carrying case which lead me to the LaRue one but it feels a tad pricey. Also, I don't have experience using a sling. My research led me to start with a 2-point and go from there. I just figured I'd start with one that had good reviews.

Comments are welcome.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    That doesnt look like a bad list... here is a hint though; A lot of LaRue's products are out sourced and come from the same companies that build less expensive items, especially the bags and other textile items.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Another member posted this guys website to get a really sweet 3 or 4 pound trigger #4 is 39.00,#3 is $54.00

Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

SIXTO - You are all over my posts today. Good copy on the msg regarding LaRue. I have a backpack from Eagle Industries that's held up over here so I'll probably take a look at them. Any particular recommendations? Blue Force Gear? Galati? I'm not looking for some HSLD bag. I just want something that's going accomplish the task and last. Regarding the LaRue BUIS - I was looking at the Daniel Defense Back-up Iron Sights, but DD is always be out of stock.

I would think that Upper would already have a forward assist.
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

I would think that you could probably save some money on the lower, and lower parts kit, I've been eyballing the Palmetto State armory ones.

They have a Magpul MOE lower parts kit for $129, and their lowers are $80, and I would much prefer the MOE grip and buttstock to standard ones: MOE Lower build kit

Are those really the handguards you want? I'd go with the MOE ones (I'm a big fan of that whole line: MOE® HAND GUARD, Mid-Length

I do like that sight from Larue, I run it on my AR.

I don't think there is a need to spend that much on a case.

Slings are very personal, and really until you use different types, you won't know which type you prefer. I like a 1-point on a reciever plate swivel on my M-4geries.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by movingshrub View Post
    SIXTO - You are all over my posts today. Good copy on the msg regarding LaRue. I have a backpack from Eagle Industries that's held up over here so I'll probably take a look at them. Any particular recommendations? Blue Force Gear? Galati? I'm not looking for some HSLD bag. I just want something that's going accomplish the task and last. Regarding the LaRue BUIS - I was looking at the Daniel Defense Back-up Iron Sights, but DD is always be out of stock.
    There are a number of good products out there for rifle bags, I'll have to think a minute on some good names. I've personally used a bag master for the past 15 years; its been great... but it is a little spendy too. I happened to get a good deal on it is why I have it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Tactical Tailor for the bag.

As nice as PSA is turning out to be, I wouldn't take one of their lowers over a BCM as a big part of the price difference will also be the lower parts kit, which BCM is up there with Colt and LMT for quality.

Good list and great starting point. Only thing I'd really change is the BUIS and if going fixed I'd recommend LMT or Daniel Defense. I have a 12" RIS II rail coming and though it will ultimately have a KAC folding front sight, I ordered a fixed DD with it just to mix things up a bit. I'm staying with the folding KAC rear sights, but I also use a magnifier at times or switch to an ACOG in place of the T1's occasionally, so that one needs to fold.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

You can get ten D&H mags for that price

Check it out here
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I can personally speak for the quality of this Blackhawk bag.

BLACKHAWK! Homeland Security Discreet Weapons Carry Case - BLACKHAWK!

I also like the stuff from Hawkepaks.

http://www.hawkepaks.com/products/full/216.jpg
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I was gonna go with the DD fixed rear, too. But I got tired of waiting, so I went with a Troy folder instead.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

It may be worth it to get the receiver from PSA and then put in something like the Daniel Defense Lower Parts kit they sell. The PSA lower ($80) and DD parts kit is ($74) is $154. The BCM blemished lower is $270 (Full price is $340!) with the lower part kit and the stock buffer tube assembly included. It's 0430 where I'm at, and I just can't be bothered to look up the price of the buffer tube assembly on PSA. To the extent of my knowlege, a lower receiver is a lower receiver, but I do see the importance of ensuring the parts placed in it are operable and work consistently.

@jonconsigli - In my experience, DD is always out of stock on their BUIS, and well, everything actually. I will take a look at Tactical Tailor, and regarding LMT, I had actually forgotten about them.

@zacii - I was actually looking at those but I figured the polymer ones would hold up better. I may just get a mixture and see what I like best. Nonetheless, Pmags seem to be recommended constantly and I wanted to minimize the change of the magazine being a problem, hence the Pmags.

@xpertz1 - I would think so too. It's in the picture but not listed in the details. I priced it in there and included it on the list to ensure I wouldn't forget the forward assist in the event it wasn't included.

Administrator
    Tactical tailor was the name I was looking for but couldnt think of on demand yesterday. Getting old sucks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Another member posted this guys website to get a really sweet 3 or 4 pound trigger #4 is 39.00,#3 is $54.00

Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net
    Many people who have sent him functioning triggers have received triggers that double and fail to reset.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Thanks for the tactical tailor suggestions. I'll take a look.

@jonconsiglio - What about a PSA lower with a G&R Tactical Lower Parts Kit? The BCM Receiver I was looking at was going to come from G&R anyways.

Updated list excluding optics, case, sling, BUIS, and mags.

BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group $489.00
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto $139.95
    BCM GunFighter Charging Handle (small) $44.95
    Palmetto State Armory Stripped Lower Receiver $80.00
    G&R Tactical Lower Parts Kit $86.00
    Magpul MOE Trigger Guard $8.00
    BCM 6 Position Receiver Extension (Mil-Spec) $36.00
    H Buffer $16.00
    USGI SS Spring $5.00
    USGI Castle Nut $7.00
    USGI Receiver Plate $6.00
    Magpul MOE Furniture Kit $79.00
    Magpul MOE Pistol Grip Included
    Magpul MOE Unknown Length Hand Guards Included (Edit: Assumed mid-length, will have to verify).
    Magpul MOE-M Carbine Stock Included

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links