Mossberg raised front bead sight?

This is a discussion on Mossberg raised front bead sight? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody know where I can find a bead sight that fits the original threads that is about an 1/8" or 1/4" higher than the normal ...

Thread: Mossberg raised front bead sight?

Anybody know where I can find a bead sight that fits the original threads that is about an 1/8" or 1/4" higher than the normal one? I can find a whole slew of replacement bead sights from just plain ones to fiber optics to night sights, but they're all the standard height.

I'm attempting something that might sound kind of stupid. Firstly, I have a Mossberg 500. I am putting a picatinny rail on the top. It has a groove down the center, like this.

I thought it might be clever to use the grove down the center on the rail as a "rear sight". I'd paint two white dots on the rear of the rail, like pistol sights. But the front bead sits too low. My shots would go way high. The gun already shoots slugs about 2-3" high at 25 yards. A plus would be, by raising the sights, both front and rear, my shots should get closer to POA. I'm not obsessed with accuracy with my shotgun, but I'd like it to be somewhat close. Even the the raised front sight isn't at the exact level that I need it to be, at least it'll be better than the original front bead.

Please don't suggest ghost ring sights. I'm looking for a raised front bead sight and that is all. Besides factory ghost sights require gunsmithing. Just wanted to describe what I'm trying to accomplish. May sound stupid to some, but I'll do what I want, leave me alone... :D

Distinguished Member
    Why the rail? What are you going to put on it - or is it stritctly to use for your sighting system?

Just curious, not judging, not telling you to use ghost ring sights.

Would the rail impede your sight line for the target, like blocking it? Just thinking outloud here.

I was just online the other day looking for a replacement for my 500 bead (i find it hard to pick up the font bead even in good light) I came across these High Viz magnetic sights and noticed that they come in normal and raised configurations
    TAC1001-M, Tactical Shotgun Front Sight Medium

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    I was just online the other day looking for a replacement for my 500 bead (i find it hard to pick up the font bead even in good light) I came across these High Viz magnetic sights and noticed that they come in normal and raised configurations
    TAC1001-M, Tactical Shotgun Front Sight Medium
    Magnetic? Is that how is attaches? Doesn't sound very secure.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Why the rail? What are you going to put on it - or is it stritctly to use for your sighting system?

Just curious, not judging, not telling you to use ghost ring sights.

Would the rail impede your sight line for the target, like blocking it? Just thinking outloud here.
    I wanted to play with the idea of possibly using a red dot. But if I don't have the red dot on, I still have open sights (kind of). I'd keep the original bead, it's just not high enough.

I have the same rail but it's on my pump. I mounted it on the top to see what it'd look like. The rail looks just like the rear sight of a pistol when looking down the back of it. It doesn't affect anything. Only problem is, there is not front sight sticking up, because the front bead is too low. I just need a taller one.

I ended up going with this. According to pictures I found, it sits higher than the bead by about an 1/8-1/4". The sad part is, a friend of mine has this same sigh on his shotgun that I've shot many times. I always noticed it sitting a bit higher than the bead. We'll see how it works.

Fiber optic wasn't a must, but it'll do. I do like shooting my friends with this sight on it.

Sponsored Links