The ultimate budget combat rifle....

This is a discussion on The ultimate budget combat rifle.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yea Betty - since you and armoredman pointed out who he was, I know I should learn to ignore statements like that. Itís hard for ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate budget combat rifle....

JT
    Yea Betty - since you and armoredman pointed out who he was, I know I should learn to ignore statements like that. Itís hard for me, though. Thanks for the warning.

2. Remove Ads

Nothing Wrong with a good bolt gun i have a old Mauser and k-31 schmidt ruben(sp) My self to go with rest of my collection..

Only reason they are not first in my selection is becuse im left handed both shoot excellent.

Been thinking of adding a mosin to my collection Good looking Rifles in all the pics..

Now's the time! M44s are still dirt cheap, at $65 from J&G, and elsewhere a few dollars more or less. The M38s are creeping up to around $80 or 90, but fully accessorized 91/30s are also still around $65-75 in excellent rearsenaled condition, meaning not only rebuilt on the outside, but inside too, with counterbore recrowning if necessary! Enjoy! I do, every chance I get!

Although i'm not much of a fan of wood stock guns. I am a fan of the bolt action.

I believe that bolt action rifles are the most accurat out there.

.....i'll still accept a HK PSG-1 if anyone is offering though. I'll trade you some ammo for it :)

A good sks, with scope and good ammo, is sub 2" at 100 yds
    bwwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

hhahhahaahbhwwwwuahahahahaha!

gee, then why do i see people all the time with their 'superior' sks's getting 'minute of wrecking ball'groups?

reason #452 NOT to buy a sks: gunkid endorses it.

oh wait! maybe gunkid is working up split-loads in his sks that can leave the barrel at 8000 fps with 50,000 foot lbs of energy and has an absolute flat trajectory out to 3000 yards???

The only rifles I have in my collection currently (besides some old squirrel rifles) are four SKS rifles of various configurations including pre-89 ban folding stocks, detachable mags, etc. I love 'em.

That said, I was looking at a Mosin M44 tonight in a local shop and thinking hard of buying it. You don't have to have rapid fire OR auto action to make that one important shot.

Obviously I'm not endorsing ANY illegal or anti-Americanism with this comment, but keep in mind that a bolt action rifle took out one of our own presidents in the 1960s. That bolt action rifle changed the entire course of history in ways that we will never know.

A single shot, bolt action rifle can be a powerful (and acurate) thing.

Daniel

How much do these rifles cost in like new condition? I always see them in gunlist or shotgun news, but ads in those magazines dont look too promising as far as merchandise quality. On a side note, Centuryhouse has a big avatar.

I took an M38 and replaced the wood stocks with a poly stock. I then cut the bolt handle and mounted a new handle that would clear the bottom of a scope. Then I bought a scope mount for it . After drilling and tapping the reciever I mounted a 4x12 scope. The stock absorbed some of the recoil making it pleasant to shoot.

Mosin Carbines are great little rifles. Here is my M38 with original M38 stock (many of the M38s have been rearsenaled with M44 stocks) & M44 laminate stock. Can't beat the price either.

Nice laminate! It is getting very hard to find M38s in correct stocks - mine is nestled in an M44 stock, too. Here are the latest Mosin pics, with the newest member...

The only problems with Mosins is that they are addictive. All these pictures are making me want another.

I have a M38 w/scope (from mtrapper), and two m44's. They rock. I would take one against any modern battle rifle and likely win. That is one heck of a bullet passing out the end to those rifles.

I love mine. I have 400 rounds of 7.62x54 in my SHTF collection.

BTW Betty, I used a lot of the pictures from Oleg's (Olag/a-human-right.com) site at my work. You were well thought of;). Then someone complained that I was anti minority...bullsh#@...and the company stopped my right to post pro 2nd amendment information. Anti's have no shame.

I understand what you're going through budget wise - four or five years ago I started with a Turk Mauser and a 91/30.

Today I have many, many, many, many more guns thanks to hard work and a little elbow grease - but my 91/59 and M44s still hold a special place in my heart.

Ok, I love my FALs a little bit more - but I'd wanted t hose since I was a kid. The Mosins, though, are the only bolt guns I shoot any more.

Lead Moderator
    Nice M44's . Much better than an SKS or AK. Would own 1 but being a lefty don't really care for bolt guns, unless they are set up left handed.

I picked up an M44 this week from mikaldulee. It ain't pretty but I didn't buy it for looks. I put it in the tool box of my truck with 200 rnds of ammo. Now I always have something with me just in case.
    "I saw you hit that poor man"
    "Yes ma'am, just as hard as I could"
    John Wayne, Tall In The Saddle

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links