The ultimate budget combat rifle.... - Page 3

The ultimate budget combat rifle....

This is a discussion on The ultimate budget combat rifle.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hmmm... I just looked at a nice Mosin in fantastic condition. $80 and I get to pick my own. I may go back tomorrow and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hmmm... I just looked at a nice Mosin in fantastic condition. $80 and I get to pick my own.

I may go back tomorrow and get it... Anyone know where I can get 7.62x54 in sealed tins?

AIM, Southern Ohio Gun, J&G Sales, any surplus dealer has it.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Thumbs up 7.62x54

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Hmmm... I just looked at a nice Mosin in fantastic condition. $80 and I get to pick my own.

I may go back tomorrow and get it... Anyone know where I can get 7.62x54 in sealed tins?
    Try: http://www.ammoman.com
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Question Ultimate Budget Combat Rifle?

I'm thinking the Lee Enfield #7 Jungle Rifle in .308 Winchester. Quest makes a modern version...well actually an updated version for a bit more. But I'm a big believer in staying with NATO or LEO ammo, if I can.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Wow I think I will go back and get that rifle.

I figured even if I pay $15 S+H per tin, I can buy ammo for 8 cents a go. That's quite reasonable.

It would fit in my truck's toolbox rather well. I already have a spare case, and I'd wrap it in a gunsock too just because I can. The thought of that rifle and 2 cans of sealed ammo ready to go just seems like a great idea.

It's basically a bolt action SKS. Well that's a bit of a contradiction in terms; I'd imagine this rifle is easier to shoot with.

Do remember the recoil and blast of the Mosin carbines can be a bit "stiff", for the uninitiated. I use a slip on recoil pad from WalMart - cost me a whole $9, and makes it much easier and fun to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I'm thinking the Lee Enfield #7 Jungle Rifle in .308 Winchester. Quest makes a modern version...well actually an updated version for a bit more. But I'm a big believer in staying with NATO or LEO ammo, if I can.
    I hate to say this as I love Enfields, but be careful with them. I owned a Gibbs #7 in .308. It shot great, but didn't like to feed regularly(had to back off slightly then retry every 1-3 rounds) and it failed to extract (1-3 rounds every magazine). I checked the extractor, spring, and magazine but I found no defects.

I have heard the Quests in .303's function just fine. I have only handled one of the .303's, never fired it.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

The Enfield's cost as much or in some cases, much more than an SKS, and can't hope to match the multtiple hit potential of the autoloader. Realistically, the sks offers enough range and mag capacity. It's just heavy, but since almost noone is fit enough to hump even an AR and a backpack, the vehicle will carry the weight anyway. If guys have to move more than a mile from their vehicles, their lack of fitness is going to kill them regardless of what gun or load they use.

No offense, heyu, but I assume you're speaking for yourself. I can hump a pack and a carbine for several miles with no ill effects, although I suspect I'm significantly older than you. A lotta folks are more capable than many of their acquaintances realize!

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by scbair
    No offense, heyu, but I assume you're speaking for yourself. I can hump a pack and a carbine for several miles with no ill effects, although I suspect I'm significantly older than you. A lotta folks are more capable than many of their acquaintances realize!
    I agree. You can't judge what alot of people can do by going by their age, fitness level or by just looking at them. It's certainly not as easy as it used to be for me but I expect I could still do it, too. Often determination picks up where fitness leaves off. It could be dangerous selling people short....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

The individual in question is over 50, unfit, and uses an assault wheelbarrow with gunshield.
    I can hump my gear to where it needs to be,especailly when it's the lives of my family on the line. My M38 is a little heavier than an AR, a lot slower, a lot less ammo on borad, and a whole lot older, but it was a whole lot cheaper, and whatever I hit WILL stay down. The wife has the SKS...

I have an AK-47 type rifle(Arsenal SA93) and I looove that rifle, but I have no delusions about what it will do. It is combat accurate. Shoots 2-4" groups off hand at 50 yards. It will never run with a bolt gun in the accuracy department. The only bolt action I currently own is a Ruger 22 Hornet varmint model. My buddy has the same gun. We both reload for it and we think that it might make an excellent gun to put food on the table in a rough situation. By adjusting the powder charge and bullet selection it can take small game as well as a .22 rimfire, and while not the ideal deer rifle, with heavier non frangible bullet selection and proper shot placement, it could bring down whitetail sized animals, although I would never condone deer hunting with it in anything less than a survival situation. I have been lusting after a Moisin rifle for a while, and hope to add one to my collection soon.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I've been very pleased with the performance on my Polish made M44 and my ability to shoot it.

I also believe that the BA rifle can still be very effective in the hands of someone that knows how to use it.

My late grandfather, the person who taught me a gun was just a tool, never owned a semiautomatic rifle. He's also bar none the best shooter I've ever met. Absolutely unnerving accuracy with anything he picked up. He had a natural talent I do not possess.

He maintained a good bolt action rifle was all anybody really needed. And for him, it was true. Bang, one goblin down. Bang, another goblin down. Bang, a third. He could have made those shots in 1/5 of the time it took me to type this.

Me? I need a semiautomatic. I'm not that good.

Ya I like Mosins.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links