The ultimate budget combat rifle....

This is a discussion on The ultimate budget combat rifle.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's all I have, but I can hit 3.5 inch at 100 yards with Wolf ammo....can't argue at $70!!! May get an SKS early next ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate budget combat rifle....

The ultimate budget combat rifle....

It's all I have, but I can hit 3.5 inch at 100 yards with Wolf ammo....can't argue at $70!!! May get an SKS early next year, workin'up to an AK for the wife, and FAL for me, if the state ever give us the raise!

2. Remove Ads

Rather a used, $50 Marlin M60 22 autorifle

and not kid myself about what I could accomplish with my rifle. By saving 10c or so per shot, I could practice a lot and save money for an sks. You only need another $80 and the $70 you shouldn't have spent on a bolt action (if what you wanted was fighting ability). The bolt action went out as a combat rifle in WW2, over 60 years ago, man.

Let me start this off saying it was supposed to be a reply to another post, not starting a thread, my bad. I certainly wasn't intending to start a confrontation over this fine old carbine - but here we go.

Originally posted by meme
    and not kid myself about what I could accomplish with my rifle.
    Who's kidding? I can hit what I aim at, and put it down hard, which is NOT always possible with a .22, semi, bolt, or full auto.
    By saving 10c or so per shot, I could practice a lot and save money for an sks.
    I AM saving for an SKS, actually two. In the meantime, food on the table becomes important.BTW, surplus ammo is very cheap in 7.62x54r.
    You only need another $80 and the $70 you shouldn't have spent on a bolt action
    Really? Perhaps I should A) tell you it was a GIFT! (I posted the price for comparison), and B) don't tell me what to spend my money on. If all I had was $70, a nice battle proven design might be what I can get, especially if I can't get another $80 . Better a Mosin in your hand, than an FAL on the dealers shelves if and when you need it!
    (if what you wanted was fighting ability). The bolt action went out as a combat rifle in WW2, over 60 years ago, man.
    Mosin M44s are still found as third line rifles in many countries. Why? They work well. Many pics were published of Viet Cong carying Mosin M44s, as well.
    I reiterate - I don't choose a bolt action, 5 round rifle, as my primary because I want to, but because I have to. When the $ situation improves, I will move to two SKSs for me and the wife, then an AK for her, and an FAL for me. Until that time, my Russian friend is there if I need her.
    If this post is too inflammatory, moderators, please feel free to delete this whole thread.

If you want to lose a million+ men in the war

(or dont care) give them bolt actions. You wanna accept that sort of a handicap, be my guest. When people tell me that their lives , health, honor and freedom aint worth and "extra" $100, I tend to just accept their evaluation of what they are worth.

(or dont care) give them bolt actions. You wanna accept that sort of a handicap, be my guest. When people tell me that their lives , health, honor and freedom aint worth and "extra" $100, I tend to just accept their evaluation of what they are worth.
    Good thing your opinion isn't what I care that much about, Gunkid. Also good that I don't carry a rifle every day - I leave that for my CZ 75 PO1, one of the best 9mm on the market today. Next time read eerything before popping off - I am going to get better rifles, but when I can afford it. Food on the table is a little more important right now.

JT
    Hey armoredman –

That’s a good rifle you have there. Hell of a lot more accurate than an SKS. There’s a reason that the military still uses bolt actions for snipers. Same reason hunters use them.

I wouldn’t be without a bolt action in my collection. It’s a good idea to have a good bolt action and a good semi-auto rifle in your collection, just as you are planning. I started with a Mauser. Then I got an SKS. Later I upgraded to a better semi. Then I upgraded my bolt action to a Remington (but kept my Mauser – it’s still a great gun). I upgraded when I could afford it, but in the mean time I was pretty well prepared.

VIP Member
    Good rifle, armoredman. I love my M44 - built like a tank, hits what I aim at, and comes with a nice sharp, pointy thing.

Definately, Betty, I need an M44 to complete the collection, as I now have a M38 and 91/30/. I am not going to try to get all the arsenals, or variants, or look for a pristine 1907 carbine, but just three good Mosins.
    Like a man said, "Beats harsh language."

VIP Member
    My dad calls me a masochist because I enjoy shooting the M44. :D

Dad shooting my Mosin:

Nice! See you have the pig sticker out, as some people don't know that Mosins with bayonets were often sighted in with the sharp end extended, and using it out will move POI to where you want it. Very nice.

BTW, speaking of pictures....First, is that your M44 leaning against a tree in one picture on the net?
    Isn't that pic of you, kneeling with the Remington 1891? I use both of them as wallpaper sometimes.

VIP Member
    Yes, there are pictures of me all over the place, including the two you speak of.

If it's "lots" more accurate than your sks,

either your sks, the ammo, or the shooter suck. A good sks, with scope and good ammo, is sub 2" at 100 yds, and many a Mosin can't even TOUCH that performance, especially not with ball ammo and iron sights. So much for it being a better "sniper" rifle. Many a scoped, 10-11" barreled CAR-15 will "reach" further, accurately, than will the typical Mosin, for a fact.

What the Mosin fans all have in common is being too cheap to be much good at shooting.

That's the one! Started using that one a long time ago, when I first got into Mosins....Just so nobody thinks anything untoward, here are some other Mosin pics I use a wallpaper.

Me shooting M38.

Don't remember who's M38 that is.

GunKids'worst nightmare - a whole group of armed and very capable women!

JT
    If it's "lots" more accurate than your sks, either your sks, the ammo, or the shooter suck.
    You’re kidding, right?

VIP Member
    Hi JT,
    meme is a known troll who's had a billion incarnations all over various firearms boards - his most famous name being GunKid. Pay no attention.

My Mosin is Hungarian made, 1953.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links