Browning BPS and my dilemma

This is a discussion on Browning BPS and my dilemma within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I currently have a Browning BPS with a 28" barrel. It's a great hunting shotgun but obviously not a great choice for HD. Searching the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SIXTO

Thread: Browning BPS and my dilemma

Browning BPS and my dilemma

I currently have a Browning BPS with a 28" barrel. It's a great hunting shotgun but obviously not a great choice for HD. Searching the Internet, a shorter barrel (22" is the shortest I can find) costs about $300! That's the price of a new Remington or Mossberg HD gun. What should I do? I can't afford to buy a new gun right now, but could probably get about $275 for my BPS towards a new one. Do I trade in for a Remington 870 (not a Mossberg fan, they feel too clunky to me) with a 26" barrel and then buy a shorter barrel later when I can afford it? I've seen the Rem 870 barrels for about $100. Or do I keep the BPS and instead just use my Glock 19 for HD as I have been doing.

2. Remove Ads

I'd keep the BPS for a hunting shotgun and get a dedicated HD shotgun.

I picked up a used Wingmaster, with 18" barrel, at a LGS for $200.

That is, if you feel like you need a HD shotgun. Your Glock will do the job if you do yours
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    I agree with above, I'd keep the BPS, especially if you hunt.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    I currently have a Browning BPS with a 28" barrel. It's a great hunting shotgun but obviously not a great choice for HD. Searching the Internet, a shorter barrel (22" is the shortest I can find) costs about $300! That's the price of a new Remington or Mossberg HD gun. What should I do? I can't afford to buy a new gun right now, but could probably get about $275 for my BPS towards a new one. Do I trade in for a Remington 870 (not a Mossberg fan, they feel too clunky to me) with a 26" barrel and then buy a shorter barrel later when I can afford it? I've seen the Rem 870 barrels for about $100. Or do I keep the BPS and instead just use my Glock 19 for HD as I have been doing.
    You've sort of answered your own question here. The shotgun should not be thought of as the first line of home defense to start with unless it's your only option.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The shotgun should not be thought of as the first line of home defense to start with unless it's your only option.
    Why not?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Why not?
    Many good reasons.

Administrator
    Anytime you'd like to expound, I'd like to read what your line of thinking is on this. Welcome back BTW.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Are you planning on moving through the home with the shotgun? If not, and your shotgun is only used as your last line of defense while you are in your safe room, then your current shotgun should be fine - the barrel length will not matter. And you should be fine with the number of shells it holds in the mag tube - you can always add an elastic butt cuff for more shells, which is easy to remove for hunting or other sporting use.

I have a Rem 870 Express, with a 4-rd mag tube. It came with a 26 inch barrel, and I bought a 20 inch for home defense - but really don't "need" it. If I need to move through my home, I'm using my G19 - mostly since it leaves a hand free for other tasks.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I'm thinking this forum more than anything made me want a dedicated HD gun. I think I'll just get a cylinder choke and pattern a few buckshot loads out of it and see how it does. I certainly don't plan on clearing my house if that bump in the night ever occurs.

I would like to hear why some do not like a shotgun as a first line of defense though.

Consider buying a used barrel, and getting it chopped to 18". A gunsmith will usually do this for $20-$40 including adding a new front bead & rebluing the cut.

Could cost considerably less.

And for a hunkering down in place weapon...I'd take a shotgun loaded with 00 over a handgun anytime.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member
    Use both. Get a sling, load it up with 00, a light if possible. Keep it on a bedside mount cruiser ready. That BPS is a great gun, don't get rid of it (I have one too). Over-messed up shotguns are fun and ego building, not that that's not fun too but who wants to get in front of a 12 gauge even if it does not have a knox stock. The criminal does not care if it looks cool.

My go to hd weapon is the Mossberg 500. Bam-chi/ching bam- chi/ching bam chi/ching - bam etc etc. Warm up the Glock as necesscary.

buy a used shotgun or replacement barrel in the 200.00 or less price range and find a buddy with a metal chop saw,cut barrel down to minimum 18.5" just in case the BATFE tape is a little shorter than yours.Depending on situations may decide your defensive weapon,the hallway leading to the master bedroom in my house would be a deadly fatal funnel for a shotgun,or defending a room and covering the doorway
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for all the great responses. I'm thinking I'll be fine with my current setup. When funds allow, I can buy a real nice zombie slayer!

I agree with your reasoning on this. Stick with what you have. It will work for now. I use my HD pistol for the first line of defense. That gets me to the shotgun when necessary. I have a hunting shot gun, and an HD gun. I bought a 870 Express with 18" barrel for 250. Hang in there and save your sheckels.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I agree with the comments on hunting. If you hunt, don't sell it. Save money and buy a dedicated HD shotgun down the road. Remember, all weapons are an exercise in compromise. A hunting shotgun will do just fine if need be. The perp won't care one bit that he was shot with a Browning BPS, or a tricked out Remington 860 Police model.

Links