New shotgun, what's the best way to get a light mounted on it? Mossberg 930 HS model

This is a discussion on New shotgun, what's the best way to get a light mounted on it? Mossberg 930 HS model within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I opted for the basic "home security" Mossberg 930. It does not have an extended magazine tube. It does not have a rail. http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../NEW/85320.jpg 85320.jpg ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: New shotgun, what's the best way to get a light mounted on it? Mossberg 930 HS model

New shotgun, what's the best way to get a light mounted on it? Mossberg 930 HS model

I opted for the basic "home security" Mossberg 930.

It does not have an extended magazine tube. It does not have a rail.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../NEW/85320.jpg

85320.jpg

What is the best way to get a light on it?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Duct Tape.

Quick,easy and cheap.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I would look at getting a fore end grip with a rail on it and get a light that will mount on it.

I would highly reccomend the Surefire foregrip with the built in flashlight. I've tried mounting flashlights (even Surefires) using a flashlight mount. After a few rounds,the front of the light would come undone,spilling the lens and batteries all over the floor. And even if the light didn't come apart,the recoil actually slams the bulb against the lens,causing damage. Surefires are great lights,but as with any handheld light,are not made for the repeated stress of a shotgun's recoil. It is very expensive,costing as much if not more than a brand new Mossberg,but is well worth it to me.

I dig that setup there Yankeejib. Where did you pick those items up? That is exactly what I want to do with mine, which happens to be the same gun.

Gunshops have the mount. Or mail order. They're $15 or so. Sorry, I just deleted my post because I realized it didn't address the OP (he already has a mount). The deal with a shotty light is the batteries have to be isolated from the bulb/lens assembly, not up against it as most flashlights.
    Here's the light: great piece for the money. I own three, and can't break them....
    LIGHT-149 - Leapers UTG LED Tactical Flashlight 200 Lumens Includes Batteries Curly Cord Pressure Switch and Mount

What do you intend to use the shotgun for?

If it is your last line of defense once you are barricaded in your safe room, I don't think you need a weapon-mounted light. Your room will not be pitch black, and at that point, anyone who busts down the door is not there for any legitimate purpose. If the power is out, just turn your flashlight on, lay it on the bed, and point it at the door - serves as a diversion that way as well (you aren't where the light is).

If you intend to move through the home, I would recommend a handgun, as it leaves a hand free for other tasks (phone, light switches, grabbing kids, etc).

So really, unless you are on an entry team with your local SWAT unit, I don't see much need for a weapon-mounted light on a home defense shotgun.

JMHO.
    boricua likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I second the Surefire shotgun series of weapon lights. Your simply changing out the entire forearm (pump) with a dedicated Surefire LED light system with momentary on/off and constant on/off applications.

I've had them on both the 870 Scattergun Tech and my Benelli M1 Super 90.

Don't go cheap. Do it right the first time with Surefire shotgun weapon lights series.

They are a bit pricey, but you'll thank us later. Surefire is the only light that should be on any weapon. Give or take a little from Insight Technologies that is.

YMMV
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Here's how I handled this challenge:

Shotgun Mag Clamp or 1" Laser/Light Mount
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

Links