My love for my 870 spawned a new venture.

This is a discussion on My love for my 870 spawned a new venture. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been deciding if I should get a AR, I shot a couple and it didn't tickle my fancy, but I have been shooting the ...

I've been deciding if I should get a AR, I shot a couple and it didn't tickle my fancy, but I have been shooting the hell out of my 870 express and I've come to the conclusion that I love shotguns soooooo much that I want another one. Here's the basics...

I've noticed the substantial weight of my 870 express fully loaded, so I don't want something with a million bells and whistles but I do want something a little more "tactical" than my 870. Speedfeed, pistol grip and the option to add a sling would be nice options.

I want a great sight system. Not rifle sights nor front bead. Something like Ghost rings or fiber optic. If it's better to go with a picitanny rail and a red dot then please share that and reasons why it's better.

I don't care if it's pump or semi, but I would like to stay under 800 dollars. I don't have Benelli money unfortunately.

The purpose of this shotgun will be for fun range use and home defense but it will def be put through it's paces.

So what do u guys and girls think? (I asked on other forums too just trying to get all the opinions I can)

Check out the Mossberg 930 SPX, it fulfills most of your requirements, and is usually in the $600-650 range. And the sight system on the gun is awesome as it comes from the factory. And 8 shots in a semi-auto definately adds to the fun factor.

Mine has been awesome, while I like the 870 just fine, I like the simplified manual of arms to get a semi into action for HD purposes.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

In response to your question, the Mossberg 930 Special Purpose came to my mind as well. In the pump action variety, you may want to look at the Mossberg 590.

Theres always the KSG thats suppose to come out at the end of the year. If ya know your dealer good, ya should be able to get it at a decent price. I see there being alot of price gouging at first.

Making your shotgun look more "Tactical" is only useful if the modifications enhance your and or the weapons performance.

Pistol grip, retractable stock etc should only be added or used to improve your ability to fully use the 870 platform to it's and your highest performance level. You should be improving your ability to out perform the assailant/bad guy in the heat of the moment when you need your shotgun skills the most.

If any modifcations are made to any weapon it should be performance based not just cosmetically. Forget heat shields, foregrips, lights etc until are you perfect with the platform from a fundamental approach before attempting to look cool.

If those modifications improve your overall ability to fully the 870 platform then by all means use them. If you can't shoot the 870 in it's current configuation to the highest standards, such as PD department or advanced Military use then modifications, of any kind, are not going to make you into a Tom Knapp or Army Special Forces shotgunner.

I would advise the use of the Knoxx Spec Stock though. You will enhance your LOP to your needs and be quicker on target with the front sight. It is a great product to reduce felt recoil and aid in related reload time compared to a standard stock. YMMV
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    How much are the Saigas going for these days?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Round 600 then another 200 or so to make em shootable.

Links