Random question on tactical light placement.

This is a discussion on Random question on tactical light placement. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last week I was able to sell enough stuff to get a good deal on a used Benelli M2. There is a tactical mount for ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aznav

Thread: Random question on tactical light placement.

Distinguished Member

Last week I was able to sell enough stuff to get a good deal on a used Benelli M2. There is a tactical mount for a rail where I attached the light. The mount lets me place the light on the left or right of the barrel (not below). Question: though I'm right handed, I am left eye dominant. Which side of the barrel (left or right) should I place the tac light? Does it even matter? Thanks!

ps. I shoot from the left shoulder.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Are you activating it by the tail cap or pressure switch. I put the to the outside when I use pressure pads and to the inside so I can activate it by using my thumb with a tail cap. I'm a right hand shooter, so outside is the right of my weapon.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Are you activating it by the tail cap or pressure switch. I put the to the outside when I use pressure pads and to the inside so I can activate it by using my thumb with a tail cap. I'm a right hand shooter, so outside is the right of my weapon.
    "Great minds..."
    That's how I have it now. Pressure pad on inside right. Light on left. Shooting off left shoulder. Yes?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

VIP Member
    Bananas are yellow. (random answer to your random question....sorry)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Bananas are yellow. (random answer to your random question....sorry)
    Timmy, go to your room.
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Why not mount it directly under the mag tube so it has less chance of getting knocked off? Gun stays skinnier that way and it makes no difference which side you mount the pressure pad.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

MJK
    I have a Benelli M4 with tac light mounted on weak side so that I can actuate the tailcap switch with my weak hand thumb. Seems to work for me.

I too am much more adept at using my thumb, but a lot of guys seem to prefer putting it on the strong side and using their index finger. I didn't like how it weakened my grip on the forearm.

aznav: As most remote switches only have a certain amount of lead wire (my TLR-2 remote only has 8" plus the switch), my switch can only go on the forearm. I have the light just behind the barrel muzzle. As I am right handed, the remote switch is mounted on the right side of the forearm so I can reach it without totally removing my weak hand.

As for the light placement? What ever works for you. It might help to mount the light on your strong side (right) which may block a little glare from your dominant eye. Hope is helps. HF

Wait for darkness, try them both, use whatever works best for you.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Links