Another reason to ditch the pistol grip?

This is a discussion on Another reason to ditch the pistol grip? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I am checking the condition of bedside shotgun#2 (not mine), mb 500 that has a pistol grip. Trying to use the slide release tab ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Another reason to ditch the pistol grip?

Distinguished Member

So I am checking the condition of bedside shotgun#2 (not mine), mb 500 that has a pistol grip. Trying to use the slide release tab and I realize that with that grip I can't use my index finger on right hand to release it whilst holding it at waist level. ?? How is this supposed to be done? With my stock style, I just release with index finger while holding the gun on the target and chamber a round.

What is the method used for chambering a round if you are using a pistol grip on the mb 500?? It just seems so in the way.

Thanks for any insight.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Really the best option for that is to leave it "cruiser ready." Just be extra extra careful to make sure the chamber is empty when you pull the trigger.

I really have no use for a PG stock on a shotgun, outside of very select uses.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    So I am checking the condition of bedside shotgun#2 (not mine), mb 500 that has a pistol grip. Trying to use the slide release tab and I realize that with that grip I can't use my index finger on right hand to release it whilst holding it at waist level. ?? How is this supposed to be done? With my stock style, I just release with index finger while holding the gun on the target and chamber a round.

What is the method used for chambering a round if you are using a pistol grip on the mb 500?? It just seems so in the way.

Thanks for any insight.

Just one of the foregivings of a pistol grip. You just need to decide if the pro's outweigh the cons.

YMMV
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

I have to echo the previous posts... a pistol grip on a shotgun is a highly specialized device that looks useful, but in reality imposes a lot of limitations. If your SG has a fixed stock, learning to shoot from the hip with the buttstock clamped under your strong-side arm may have more usefulness for you.
    Hopyard, gorilla45 and bmcgilvray like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

RKM
    I wouldn't keep it cocked with an empty chamber. When I "store" mine for HD, I clear the chamber, pull trigger and keep the safety off with a full mag of course. The pistol grip stocks also make the safety switch a little more difficult to reach without changing your grip. I just took my pistol grip stock off and put the original back on.

Pistol grips have their advantages. Biggest advantage of a pistol grip for me is easier recoil management and it's easier on my right wrist (right handed). Only reason I took mine off was because it's a folding AR-15 style stock. The knob you press to fold it always hits me in the nose on recoil. Besides that, I like pistol grip stocks. I'd like to get a pistol grip with a fixed stock, similar to a Benelli M4. Not sure if I ever will though.

VIP Member
    It is also tough to engage or disengage the safety on a MB with a pistol grip without releasing your hold on the pistol grip.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member
    Thanks, I see the point that it should not be an issue if it is cruiser ready. I just had not handled a pistol grip shotgun in a while and let's just say I am not feeling the love and I don't want to be a nag about somebody else's setup (in person I mean, I like having this group to whine to on occasion).
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Whine away... we're here to listen and commiserate.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I hate to admit this, but I almost had a negligent discharge with a 500 and a pistol grip. I'm used to the Remington shotguns, though I have a 500 at my Dad's in CA. I've never owned a pistol grip shotgun without a stock. Anyway, I was reloading my BIL's at the range and while it was tucked in and upside down (not my usual technique, but do that now and then - well, I guess I have nothing usual as I'm an AR guy and rarely run shotguns) it was unstable without the stock and my thumb slipped and pulled the trigger. Luckily, it was one of the only times I did not drop a round in before loading through the bottom.

Absolutely stupid on my part and due to the grip and safety location, I guess I just didn't engage the safety first. The muzzle was pointed downrange, but that is beside the point. I personally do not think shotguns should have a pistol grip with no stock. I say this with humility, but I'm a pretty experienced shooter and work in the industry. It was a shock when that almost happened and showed me you can never let yourself get that comfortable.

I'd personally put an adjustable stock on it.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    I broke a SG firing pin on only one dry fire, so I use a snap cap for cruiser ready. I prefer the 45 instead of the PG SG for around the house, the AR for outdoors, but the shotty is sure comforting from behind the bed in the safe room. There a straight stock works best for me.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    You are not alone, I HATE the pistol grip on a shotgun. I much prefer the regular stock.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I had one (have two actually) and don't use them anymore - the stock, umm, stock is far better in my opinion, and more natural for me personally.

My HD 870 is not a pistol grip. I considered purchasing one when I traded my PT145 for the gun a few years back but at the end of the day I found my self say "why?". I personally dont think that a PG offers any real advantage over a standard stock system.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

+1
    I tried both a pistol grip and a pistol grip stock on my 870 and found both to be less advantageous than a conventional stock.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    my hand hates to bend to grab a normal stock on a shottie, all mine have the knox stock. I love it, I just leave my gun cruiser ready, rack one in before I get out with it and away I go
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links