Thureon Defense 9mm Carbine

This is a discussion on Thureon Defense 9mm Carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know a lot of folks don't like pistol caliber carbine. I get it but I do I have a .357 lever action and even ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Thureon Defense 9mm Carbine

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Thureon Defense 9mm Carbine

I know a lot of folks don't like pistol caliber carbine. I get it but I do

I have a .357 lever action and even have a Hi Point carbine I put into an ATI stock. The Hi-Point is just for fun.

Now I've run across this AR wannabe from Thureon Defense. They make a version that run's glock mags. My Hi-Point carbine has never ever failed except for mag problems. The mags are cheap and limited to 10 rounds.

I like the Berretta CX4 storm but I'm not keen on the big wings guarding the iron sights. So back to this Thureon Defense carbine. Anyone have one or shot one?

I like that it's an AR trigger set up, I love the adjustable AR type stocks;that works for me. I don't care about missing iron sights as I'll us a red dot. And I LOVE that they make one that uses Glock mags.

I'm having my local gun guy check price and availability today but when I emailed them some questions I got an email reply from the company owner. Interesting; shows they're lean and controling labor.

So anyone have some thoughts about this gun? If I could buya complete AR 15 in 9mm with a flat top for similar money I would but haven't found a 9 mm AR in this configuration. I have a Stag Arms in .223 but want to leave it intact.

Thanks
    Gideon

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Sounds pretty neat to me. I wonder what the price point is on it.

Thureon Defense

VIP Member
    I read and looked at their website before they look pretty good. Unless I was running a Glock of the same caliber I think I would stick with their version with the straight stick mag. It just looks funny to me with the angled mag.

Pistol caliber carbines/conversions are a blast to shoot and train with, the only thing I remind shooters is that they are still a pistol round simply coming out of a longer barrel. Many folks get them and think they now have magically transformed their 9mm into a rifle round. Same basic ballistics, more accurate but still the terminal effects of whatever caliber you are shooting.

Not sure on pricing but it may be worth it to try one and see.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I too like the straight stick mags but they're UZI mags that have to be modified. Costs $15 for them to mod them plus the purchase and I'm not sure if you can buy new ones or only surplus. I agree the angle on the glock mag models is a bit odd but I think glock mags would be readily available, new, etc. thoughts?
    Gideon

Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - LWD AR-Glock Receiver Complete Carbine - $349.95

Lone wolf makes a 9mm lower receiver that uses glock mags.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Mmmmmm sexy.... I could go for that lone wolf carbine.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Problem with Lone Wolfe is availability, back orders a plenty. Last production run went on filling back orders or so what they told me.
    But a complete 9mm glock mag Ar from them tips the scale at a little over a 1k, the Thereon Defense , glock mag, and front sight block is approximately $740 from the email I just got today from them.

I would rather have the Lone Wolfe but am considering Thereon because of cost and availability.

Whatta waist of aluminum and glock mags!

I too have been searching for a 9mm or 40 cal carbine (Glock mag compatible) as I own multiple Glocks. I stumbled on Mech Tech (MechTech - Home) - just as I found this site by chance. Mech Tech manufactures carbine conversions for most Glocks and 1911's. At first I was skeptical, but the site is very informative and the product appears well designed and nicely machined. This could prove to be a great alternative as opposed to the Olympic, Kel-tec Sub 2000, Ruger PC, or other; especially for Glock owners with mutiple models of the same cal. (19, 17 -22, 23).

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    ok , but I don't think I'll take your word on it, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    What a well thought out meticulously structured response. I own 2 pistol caliber carbines a Hi-Point 995ts and a Marlin Camp 9. They are great fun and cheap to feed. The Thureon looks good enjoy.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Looked at these yet?

Olympic Arms AR-15 Pistol Cal Models

Rock River Arms: RRA LAR-9 9mm
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I'm not a fan of pistol caliber carbines. I owned an MP5 until just a couple months ago and do appreciate subguns in pistol calibers. With Colt making available a 9mm upper, I might some day consider it just to have as a range gun. I dnt see any use at all in dumbing down an AR15 for serious use, but see the role it fills for training or just for plinking.

So, it is enjoyable to shoot and I think if they stay in the role they belong, 9mm carbines can be somewhat useful and a a decent purchase. I'd just be sure to remember it does not take the place of other rifles.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one any longer than 10.5" and I'd prefer closer 8".
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Thureon defense

I have recently purchased a thureon defense carbine in .40 S&W, I love it. It was meant as an inexpensive plinker/shooter, and I am very impressed with it. It shoot well and is very accurate. Those of you that say remember what it is a carbine that shoots pistol ammunition are correct, that is what it is, however the longer barrel increases the muzzle velocity by 100-200fps depending on the ammunition being used. It is smooth operating, the store that I had it delivered to has an indoor range, and it had the staff drooling to shoot it, and play with it when it came in. When I picked it up I found out that the entire staff took turns checking it out. It is very handy, I ordered it with a 31 round glock magazine, and can use all my other pistol magazines with it. Again the key to remember is that it is not meant as a sniper rifle to take shots at more than 150 meters, but it can hit at more than that distance, and with the increased muzzle velocity, it will do the job at that range, especially if you use the correct ammunition. It will also work as a very effective close quarters gun for home defense, and medium range shooting. If any of you are looking to get one of these carbines, and remember that it is exactly what it says it is a pistol caliber carbine I would highly recommend it. It shoots great, is well built, and is simple to use.
    .XX likes this.

Interesting,have always felt a small carbine along the lines of the M1 carbine in either 10mm or 357sig would make a great pack gun or plinker for small game,as well as covering most home defense scenarios,looks like its more compact than a Lone Wolf conversion would be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links