turn your ar to full auto? - Page 2

turn your ar to full auto?

This is a discussion on turn your ar to full auto? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I like AR15 is a fact, but turn it to auto that it's a cost large money things....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: turn your ar to full auto?

I like AR15 is a fact, but turn it to auto that it's a cost large money things.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

A guy had one at the range a couple of weeks back and let me shoot it. Extremely fun! But couldn't see myself doing it on a gun I was buying the ammo for.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

So since the trigger is pulled several times, this does not break the law, right?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

It does not break the law, but neither did the one designed for the 10/22 until The Man said it did. Anybody remember what that one was called?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    It does not break the law, but neither did the one designed for the 10/22 until The Man said it did. Anybody remember what that one was called?
    The Akins Accelerator. ATF ruled it a "machine gun" because the SPRING in the stock is what cycled the receiver forward. The Slide Fire Stock requires the operator to PHYSICALLY PUSH the receiver forward.

I've fired both an M16 and an AR with a slide fire stock back to back and they require different shooting styles. Once you get used to the slide fire its just as accurate as an M16, and controlable. You can squeeze off single rounds, 2, 3, 5 round bursts etc. , or a full mag dump. Its MUCH easier and more accurate (for me at least) than trying to do a "double-tap" with a standard AR.

The Slide fire works best with .223 though. I tried our 9mm upper on it and it was a little harder to control bursts as there was less recoil to push against.

As far as burning up ammo, its not something we take out every weekend. Once every 4-6 months We'll bring the NFA out with 1,500-1,800 rounds. Once a year we go to the Brooksville shoot and burn up 2,200-2,500 rounds. We wait for sales and get good deals on 10,000 rounds at a time.

-John

I'm still not convinced of the practicality of any full auto 5.56.

Any body every use the M-249 extensively?

The simple fact that full autos are illegal is amusing to me. Anybody can get there hands on an AK-47 or AR-15. "Timothy Unabomber Manson Mcveigh Jr.." IS going to kill as many people with a semi-auto as he would with a full-auto. Some people are nuts and there's not much we can do about that except allow law-abiding citizens a means to defend themselves. Then hope and pray that a crack-shot civilian or LEO is around to put one through Mr. Nutjob's defective brain.

RKM
    It looks like a lot of fun, that's for sure. I certainly wouldn't buy one for my own AR though. There is no practicality, it's just a novelty for us poor peasants that can't afford a legal M16. I would however, LOVE to have a 3 round burst option on my AR. 100% full auto would serve me no purpose, but a controlled 3 round burst could be used practically.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    It looks like a lot of fun, that's for sure. I certainly wouldn't buy one for my own AR though. There is no practicality, it's just a novelty for us poor peasants that can't afford a legal M16. I would however, LOVE to have a 3 round burst option on my AR. 100% full auto would serve me no purpose, but a controlled 3 round burst could be used practically.
    I'm not a fan of 3 round burst,if you let off after 2 rounds your next trigger pull gets a single shot,It's all about controlling bursts,I can shoot 3-4 round bursts out of a FA M16 all day long,as far as expensive to shoot,without counting cost of brass since I find what I need at the gun range,and make 224 bullet tips from 22lr cases,I reload for about 8 cents per round,wgich is about 1/2 the price most people pay for 9mm ammo,so If I burn up 100 rounds I only shot $8.00 worth of ammo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am tempted by the product, just don't own a ar-15. If I did, would be an item on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by BioGLoCK23 View Post
    ...kill as many people with a semi-auto as he would with a full-auto.. Some people are nuts and there's not much we can do about that except allow law-abiding citizens a means to defend themselves....
    If semi is as good as auto, then auto would not be needed for SD.

I don't agree that full-auto is, as dangerous, just as dangerous, or less dangerous than semi-auto. Or any way you want to cut it what one is better than the other. I keep going to the "tool" well, but one hammer is good at one thing while another has a different purpose. Most likely either will hammer a nail, but depending on what you are doing, one will most likely be better than the other.

Same with full-auto. There are situations where a full-auto could be used to kill far more than semi. Question is, will laws prevent it.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I'm still not convinced of the practicality of any full auto 5.56.

Any body every use the M-249 extensively?
    I have, although that isn't really a fair comparison, because the M-249 SAW is almost twice the weight.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

RKM
    FA is equally as dangerous as semi-auto. No more or less. But IMO, it's less deadly as many people seem to think FA is MEANT for spray and pray from the hip which NEVER EVER beats intentional, well aimed shots.... ever. You have a crazy nut go on a rampage and spray and pray, he'll have far less victims than even just an average shooter would with semi-auto.

Bursts, I think are useful to aid in double or triple taps, as it's just easier. FA is overkill for a single target and pointless for the spray and pray method.

Mostly, FA is just fun. That's really about it. Unless you in a situation where you need suppressive fire (highly unlikely) FA is basically useless other than to waste ammo and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm not a fan of 3 round burst,if you let off after 2 rounds your next trigger pull gets a single shot,It's all about controlling bursts
    Good point. Never thought about that.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    ...spray and pray from the hip which NEVER EVER beats intentional, well aimed shots.... ever...
    Plenty of situations where a full-auto would beat intential, well aimed shots. I'm off topic to OP, just saying, there are situations where a rock or knife would be better than a firearm. It is always a matter of the situation.
    NRA Member

I bought one just to have it. For the novelty of it. I have it on a dedicated lower. When I want to have some fun, I just put my upper on it and have at it. It is really fun and easy to control. I can burst fire with it, 2, 3, 4, whatever round burts or just let it rip. Like I said, I bought it just for fun. I have a 400 acre lease that is just 1 mile from my house so I knew when I bought it I could let 'er rip. FA certainly has its place. It's great for suppressing an enemy other than that I would agree you can't beat single deliberate aimed shots.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links