Small Rifle

This is a discussion on Small Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering would anyone consider one of these for home defense? Ive always liked them but have never once thought for home defense if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Small Rifle

Small Rifle

I was wondering would anyone consider one of these for home defense?

Ive always liked them but have never once thought for home defense if this would be suitable.

what I like the most is how compact it is.
    would it be good for home defense? I know its a 9mm rifle as well.

Thank you
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

2. Remove Ads

It appears to be a PS90, which is 5.7x28, not 9mm. In addition, unless you went SBR, the barrel would be considerably longer than pictured.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

sorry I just searched p90. lol

not real savvy still on many weapons :D Thank you :D
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I own one. Not that SBR but the ps-90 Nice weapon. Fun to shoot. has a real nice reflex "donut of death" sight picture that changes depending upon available light. Ammo is available. you can get 1000 rounds of V-max for 1000 bucks. I would say it is good for home defense.

$1000 bucks for 1000 rounds seems high, I have seen same for around $400.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

As an SBR it is pretty handy. If you're going to go with an NFA gun invest in a suppressor too. FWIW, we didn't have good luck with the stock optic on the indoor range when we had one as a rental. I think it would benefit from a good optic.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    $1000 bucks for 1000 rounds seems high, I have seen same for around $400.
    DOH brain fart I meant 400 bucks... it is 1000 for the high penetration stuff aka "cop killers" as the media so labels it.

A Shotty would be a better option...

Remington 870
    Mossberg 500
    Stoeger HD2000

For the price of a 5.7 you could get a HELL of a shotty....
    Richard58 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    A Shotty would be a better option...

Remington 870
    Mossberg 500
    Stoeger HD2000

For the price of a 5.7 you could get a HELL of a shotty....
    +1!

...and it wouldn't have Mattel stamped on the side!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

saw this weapon first on the small screen - on a space ship, in another galaxie..spits out hi vel 5.7, Wiki says this round was developed for anti personnel/counter body armor, cartridges are expensive and limited to "sport" loading...you can get a pistol from the same manufacturer that loads up 20 or 30 rounds - plastic FANTASTIC...I understand the Secret Service is carrying these...Im thinkin Dadsnugun's wrong, you could buy 3 or 4 really good shottys for the price of this exotic Tactical plastic fantastic....I like the pistol...but its still just a .22.................$.02

sgb

I prefer 5.56x45mm
    atctimmy likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

For moving inside the home, I recommend a handgun, since it leaves a hand free for other tasks (phone, lights, grabbing the kids, etc).

Once barricaded in your safe room, it's time for the shotgun to cover the door while you wait for the cavalry to show up.

For area defense outside the home, I like a real rifle in a real rifle caliber.

I don't see a need for this, barring some very specific circumstances.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

If I had the cash, I would buy one just because I am a Stargate nut. I would also get the SBR stuff done to it. Since I don't have the cash, I would go for something a little more "standard" for home defense....although I shouldn't be saying that since the last time a crash woke me up (drunk neighbors breaking glass bottles) I checked it out with a Mosin Nagant....

Concerning the SBR route, this is a bull pup design so most of the barrel will be covered by the stock. I can't really tell how long the barrel is on the gun in the photos, maybe 10''-12''. However, even a 16" barrel shouldn't extend more than 4 or 5 inches (the same as the average pistol barrel) past the end of the stock so going thru the hassle and expense of the SBR route may be unnecessary from a practical standpoint.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

VIP Member

The P90 and the 5.7 pistol were designed as a replacement for full size, or carbine type rifles for "non combantant" troops. I have fired both and I must say it is just plain neat. The round, depending on type, will penetrate a lot of armor and I can attest that when fired from the pistol the round will go through both sides of a kevlar helmet at 100 yards and beyond.

There are several other bullpup type designs like the MSAR, AUG and Keltec that are pretty well proven and seem to work well. The price of this rifle and then the cost of the SBR you could buy shotguns, an AR and a decent handgun. Depending on where you get it from $1500 plus for the rifle, SBR tax stamp $200, barrel work or finding a factory barrel 3-700 (guessing) but you would be the only one on the block with one more than likely.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links