Slugs with Full Choke Bad idea for shotguns????

Slugs with Full Choke Bad idea for shotguns????

This is a discussion on Slugs with Full Choke Bad idea for shotguns???? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; no slug with full choke bad idea- Quoted from Bud White So any slug with a full choke is a bad idea? Even if its ...

Thread: Slugs with Full Choke Bad idea for shotguns????

Question Slugs with Full Choke Bad idea for shotguns????

no slug with full choke bad idea- Quoted from Bud White

So any slug with a full choke is a bad idea? Even if its a 3/4 oz (384 grain?) barnes expander- Instead of the Federal Vital-Shok 1oz? Dont know if you need to know this but the gun is chambered for 2&3/4 AND 3" mag shells. What would be the quickest cost effective solution for this problem if the 3" mag capability has no bearing on the situation. Get a new barrel? or just get a new gun that is not choked?
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Get a new barrel is what I'd suggest.

OTOH, you might want to try with some really soft lead slugs...I've done it, contrary to manufacturer's warnings against it, and never had a barrel blow up or anything.

I sure wouldn't try it with a Brenneke or some slug made with lots of antimony in the lead.

But my experience has been with a limited number of rounds, not an all-day shoot kind of thing. And the accuracy sucked.

So why not just get another barrel?

Senior Moderator
    There are some manufacturers that have printed right on the box,"best results with full choke" with their slug loads, Remington being one of them.

If it says that ,then you are good to go.Most slugs are undersized so as to be shot though a full choke,its a liablity thing. Just follow the manufactures instruction.

I've shots lots of slugs though various guns, I've got an 870 that shoots best with full choke, I've got an 1100 that shoots more accuratly with a modified choke. My 500 Mossberg with an IC would be lucky to hit a pie plte at 50 yards.

With that being said, there are some removable chokes that will say "do not use with slugs", and I've got a few of them too. Generally they are more tightly choked turkey chokes. The thing is there is that the threads that hold them in are fine enough that they could blow out with a slug. I've known 2 of them to do just that...both with a Mossberg. One was from shooting buckshot though a turkey choke and the other was from shooting slugs through extra full choke.

Use your own judgement. If its a fixed choke it proabably wont be an issue. If its a removable choke...it could be.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

To my knowledge it is a fixed choke. I would think that a removable choke would not go un-noticed. I dont believe I have ever seen a removable choke to be honest with you, but I do believe it would be noticeable. Its a 12 Ga "Revelation" (heard remington made it, not sure) pump, 30" barrel, full choke. Its an older gun, probably.. at least 15-20+ yrs old.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

can you shoot slugs through a smooth-bore barrell?? How accurate with a 20" barrell?

Senior Moderator
    can you shoot slugs through a smooth-bore barrell?? How accurate with a 20" barrell?
    Try it and see. I use a 20 inch rifle sighted barrelled 8 shot Mossberg as my police shotgun. It shoots accuratley enough to hit 80 yard pepper poppers when qualifying with it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Lead Moderator
    I shot a slug thru a old 12 ga. bolt gun w/ full choke (savage I think). the whole gun vibrated bad when fired. Never again.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would never ever fire a slug through a full choke. You can fire a rifled slug no problem through a smooth-bore barrell though.

Senior Moderator
    I would never ever fire a slug through a full choke. You can fire a rifled slug no problem through a smooth-bore barrell though.
    Does using a choke make it not a smooth bore all of a sudden ?

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Does using a choke make it not a smooth bore all of a sudden ?

No, it is still a smooth bore, just has more constriction at the end.

For most slugs, I would not fire through a full choke. There is really no reason to, your not going to "tighten" the pattern any, and youre going to have alot of lead build up at the choke. A modified or improved choke should be fine for a rifled slug down a smooth bore.

I just dont see any reason to put more stress on the weapon when there are plenty of alternatives to putting one down a tight choke.
    Fear No Evil.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    A diet of slugs will most likely " swage " your full choke into a modified or even improved cyllinder choke . Its nor normaly dangrous in a well maintained shotgun , just harmfull to the choke . If it has screw in chokes absolutly do not fire slugs thro a full choke as it can actualy lock the threads to the point you have to cut the choke portion off the barrel and re bore/thread it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    If it has screw in chokes absolutly do not fire slugs thro a full choke as it can actualy lock the threads to the point you have to cut the choke portion off the barrel and re bore/thread it

Forgot to mention that "minor" downside...but it does happen.
    Fear No Evil.

Links